Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   new members question (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/new-members-question-8940/)

falconman 12-05-2008 12:36 AM

new members question

hey everyone. im new on here,lookin fer a place to talk about guns.my name is andrew mayer,and only13 years old but i know quite a bit about guns and are lookin fer some more to know about them.

my brother has a question fer you guys,though. he wants to know if theres anyone out there that knows how to make armor piercing rounds.he wants a Tungston core M855 bullet.

thanks

andrew

c3shooter 12-05-2008 12:45 AM

Hi Falcon! My youngest graddaughter is 12, and has been shooting with me for 2 years now. Ref: Armor Piercing ammo- it is basically a very hard core, with a covering (jacket) of softer metal to prevent damaging the barrel. It makes a LOUSY deer stopper. The goal is shooting an animal is to transfer as much energy from the bullet to the critter as possible- typically with a soft point bullet that expands on impact. An armor piercing round does NOT expand, but makes a hole right thru, and the energy that is STILL pushing the bullet is wasted.

c3shooter 12-05-2008 12:47 AM

BTW- the .223 catridge is (in my opinion) borderline for deer- and too small to be legal for deer where I live (Virginia)

bkt 12-05-2008 10:52 AM

Standard NATO SS109 5.56 ammunition has a steel core and will punch through a lot. It's not classified "armor piercing" but it's still very effective.

That is probably NOT what you want to take down game, however, unless the deer in your area ride around in armored personnel carriers or wear high-end body armor.

A soft tip or hollow point will transfer more kinetic energy than an AP or FMJ round and would probably be more effective. But a bigger round (.308 or shotgun slug) would probably be more effective than anything an AR will spit out.

CA357 12-05-2008 07:30 PM

Welcome here.

slowryde45 12-05-2008 09:39 PM

welcome aboard....you must have editted this since I first read it this morning, as at first I thought you were in search of armor piercing info for deer hunting?

as others have already pointed out, AP rounds work well for their intended purpose, but would not do you much good for hunting deer. your first shot or two would have to be a brain or spine shot to knock it down. otherwise, you'd just be poking holes in it until it dropped.

i'm sure if you did a search online, you might be able to find a site that would have info on making your own AP rounds. even with the sand box going on, you might get lucky enough to find some AP rounds for sale...probably cheaper and get you un-noticed. ;)

Slo

Dillinger 12-05-2008 10:44 PM

What possible purpose would your brother have for wanting AP rounds?

Everyone here knows it's not for hunting.

Your average shooter has no lawful purpose for AP type rounds.

JD

bkt 12-06-2008 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 54322)
What possible purpose would your brother have for wanting AP rounds?

Everyone here knows it's not for hunting.

Your average shooter has no lawful purpose for AP type rounds.

JD

What possible purpose would you have for wanting an AR-15?

Everyone here knows they're not for hunting.

Your average shooter has no lawful purpose for AR-15 type rifles.

(See how that works? :D It just depends whether a moron legislator has drafted a law banning whatever it is you're interested in to be on the wrong side of a comment like that. No offense intended, bud.)

Falconman, please do not radically change your post after people have responded to it; it makes the thread challenging to follow.

Armor Piercing rounds are defined by the BATFE as:
(i) a projectile or projectile core which may be used in a handgun and which is constructed entirely (excluding the presence of traces of other substances) from one or a combination of tungsten alloys, steel, iron, brass, bronze, beryllium copper, or depleted uranium; or
(ii) a full jacketed projectile larger than .22 caliber designed and intended for use in a handgun and whose jacket has a weight of more than 25 percent of the total weight of the projectile.
(C) The term 'armor piercing ammunition' does not include shotgun shot required by Federal or State environmental or game regulations for hunting purposes, a frangible projectile designed for target shooting, a projectile which the Secretary finds is primarily intended to be used for sporting purposes, or any other projectile or projectile core which the Secretary finds is intended to be used for industrial purposes, including a charge used in an oil and gas well perforating device.
These are not legal to own. Personally, like all other arbitrary legislation banning some firearms but not others, I find this to be both wrong and pointless.

If owning AP rounds is illegal, making them is an illegal activity. This forum will not assist anyone in the manufacture or acquisition of banned or illegal items.

Please see here for more info: http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/legal/armor.htm

robocop10mm 12-08-2008 07:08 PM

Operative term "handgun". AP ammo restrictions are placed on HANDGUN ammo except in the most Draconian locales.

Dillinger 12-08-2008 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkt (Post 54389)
What possible purpose would you have for wanting an AR-15?

Everyone here knows they're not for hunting.

Your average shooter has no lawful purpose for AR-15 type rifles.

While I see your point, the grass is a bit slick on the slope.

an AR is legal to hunt with here, so if I was a hunter, I would be well within my Rights to hunt with it. I don't hunt personally, but that doesn't mean I can't hunt should I need too.

Should meat become officially cancelled as a commodity I can purchase at the store, I might have to resort to doing exactly that.

However, a question about armor piercing ammunition from someone in one of their very first posts?:rolleyes: C'mon. And he's 13 - so obviously it's useful exuberace getting the better of him...

I don't agree they should be banned either. But, as they are banned, the request of how to go about obtaining/manufacturing one isn't one that should be brushed over casually.

JD