Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > new M&P 15T for xmas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2011, 05:30 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default new M&P 15T for xmas

New in box....what do I do first?? Soak in solvent to get rid of the factory oil???? Or just lube over it??? This its my first AR so i want to break it in properly.

forumrunner_20111231_122918.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-31-2011, 06:13 PM   #2

Liked 212 Times on 170 Posts
Likes Given: 15

My sport turn out to be very clean from the factory and well lubed but to stay with my normal thing to do with ever new firearm I took mine apart, cleaned and relubed with breakfree clp just to fully understand how the AR's work. From what I say, clean the barrel and go shoot yours.

Old 12-31-2011, 06:55 PM   #3

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I have the same weapon I took mine apart relubed it and went and ran 400 rounds threw her and no probs!

Fire for effect!

Old 12-31-2011, 07:15 PM   #4

I bought mine about six years ago it's a real nice shooting AR, just take it down and clean it a little with Breakfree CLP. nothing big, run a patch with BF/CLP through bore. Then take it out and shoot it.

Old 12-31-2011, 11:04 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have a rra and really looking into the 10inch troy rail like the one that come on the s&w tac is that rifle still pretty light?

Old 12-31-2011, 11:21 PM   #6
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2241 Times on 1122 Posts
Likes Given: 1150

Most all good rifles coming from the manufacturer will be well lubed. First of all so they will properly function if the proud owner takes them straight out of the box and shoots them. Also for shelf life protection against any corrosion should the rifle set on a shelf in a warehouse or at a dealers for a long period of time. I know Rock River Arms when the rifle gets back from the live fire test on the outdoor range, which everyone of them goes through. They are then cleaned while going through the rifle's final inspection, lubed with G-96 and packed in the box ready to go out the door! So it is common for good rifles like yours to be well lubricated. And while we are on it, you need to keep your bolt and carrier assembly always looking a little wet and you will not have any problem. A damp AR Rifle is a Happy AR Rifle!
Nice rifle and it looks like Old Santa was good to you! Give us some range reports when you get a chance.

Old 12-31-2011, 11:50 PM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Looks like you had a great Christmas.

My lube of choice is slip2000 or high temp lithium grease.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 01-01-2012, 12:00 AM   #8

Strange as it might seem the AR needs very little inside lub. the bolt and cam a few drops on Fire group. Many people I know just spray some Breakfree CLP through the side opening and that's all. And many don't do any of the items I stated.

Old 01-01-2012, 12:42 AM   #9

Liked 949 Times on 671 Posts
Likes Given: 946

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleshooter474 View Post
Strange as it might seem the AR needs very little inside lub. the bolt and cam a few drops on Fire group. Many people I know just spray some Breakfree CLP through the side opening and that's all. And many don't do any of the items I stated.
I like to keep mine pretty wet. This is one area were too much is better than too little.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.