Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   new M&P 15T for xmas (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/new-m-p-15t-xmas-54482/)

jfletcher72 12-31-2011 05:30 PM

new M&P 15T for xmas

1 Attachment(s)
New in box....what do I do first?? Soak in solvent to get rid of the factory oil???? Or just lube over it??? This its my first AR so i want to break it in properly.

hardluk1 12-31-2011 06:13 PM

My sport turn out to be very clean from the factory and well lubed but to stay with my normal thing to do with ever new firearm I took mine apart, cleaned and relubed with breakfree clp just to fully understand how the AR's work. From what I say, clean the barrel and go shoot yours.

synical 12-31-2011 06:55 PM

I have the same weapon I took mine apart relubed it and went and ran 400 rounds threw her and no probs!

rifleshooter474 12-31-2011 07:15 PM

I bought mine about six years ago it's a real nice shooting AR, just take it down and clean it a little with Breakfree CLP. nothing big, run a patch with BF/CLP through bore. Then take it out and shoot it.

macon17 12-31-2011 11:04 PM

I have a rra and really looking into the 10inch troy rail like the one that come on the s&w tac is that rifle still pretty light?

Sniper03 12-31-2011 11:21 PM

Most all good rifles coming from the manufacturer will be well lubed. First of all so they will properly function if the proud owner takes them straight out of the box and shoots them. Also for shelf life protection against any corrosion should the rifle set on a shelf in a warehouse or at a dealers for a long period of time. I know Rock River Arms when the rifle gets back from the live fire test on the outdoor range, which everyone of them goes through. They are then cleaned while going through the rifle's final inspection, lubed with G-96 and packed in the box ready to go out the door! So it is common for good rifles like yours to be well lubricated. And while we are on it, you need to keep your bolt and carrier assembly always looking a little wet and you will not have any problem. A damp AR Rifle is a Happy AR Rifle! :D
Nice rifle and it looks like Old Santa was good to you! Give us some range reports when you get a chance.

mjkeat 12-31-2011 11:50 PM

Looks like you had a great Christmas.

My lube of choice is slip2000 or high temp lithium grease.

rifleshooter474 01-01-2012 12:00 AM

Strange as it might seem the AR needs very little inside lub. the bolt and cam a few drops on Fire group. Many people I know just spray some Breakfree CLP through the side opening and that's all. And many don't do any of the items I stated.:rolleyes:

Quentin 01-01-2012 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rifleshooter474 (Post 664089)
Strange as it might seem the AR needs very little inside lub. the bolt and cam a few drops on Fire group. Many people I know just spray some Breakfree CLP through the side opening and that's all. And many don't do any of the items I stated.:rolleyes:

I like to keep mine pretty wet. This is one area were too much is better than too little.