Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > New Homeland Defense Rifle!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2008, 08:41 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default New Homeland Defense Rifle!

I just ordered my 1st AR. I bought the upper from bravocompanyusa.com
Stag Arms M4 profile 16" Upper Receiver Group.
Ready to mount to complete AR-15 lower receiver group for $385 (shipped)
Features:
16 inch Chrome Lined Bore and Chamber
M4 Profile
5.56 NATO
1/9 Twist
T-Marked Flat Top Upper Receiver
Forged Milspec "F" marked front sight base
Side Sling Mount

The gun shop by my house will sell me the complete Stag Arms lower for $295
The total for my 1st Homeland Defense Rifle - $680

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-01-2008, 08:53 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3471 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Sweet. Congratulations! If you have any play in the upper to lower match up, you can add an $8 Accu-Wedge and true it right up. Look forward to seeing your pictures when you get it assembled.

D

Old 04-01-2008, 10:55 PM   #3
bkt

Liked 1302 Times on 661 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Nice job! That's even a little less than what I paid a few years ago. It's good to know you can still do some homework and save a bundle of money.

Old 04-02-2008, 02:42 AM   #4

Well done. As I have said before, Stag Arms give you the best return on your dollar. If you reload, try the 55 grain Hornady SXSP backed by 24 grains of 3031. This load has been a proven performer for me in the barrel configuration you listed. Enjoy.

"The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us“ ...... Patrick Henry March 23, 1775

Old 04-02-2008, 03:23 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks guys. The plan is to pick up the lower Saturday as the upper's ETA is Thursday via UPS. Pics sould be posted by Sunday...

Old 04-02-2008, 09:26 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Sweet. Congratulations! If you have any play in the upper to lower match up, you can add an $8 Accu-Wedge and true it right up. Look forward to seeing your pictures when you get it assembled.

D
Yes, congrats on the new HDR. A trick we use for less money is a foam earplug between upper and lower, .25c vs $8 and the same result. Recommend either one though, Dillinger is right on that.

Old 04-02-2008, 01:16 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2260 Times on 1187 Posts
Likes Given: 154

Not to be argumentative but the Accu Wedge is a gimmick that does nothing but make you feel good and take 8 bucks out of your wallet. If you think a tight fit between the upper and lower is needed you can do an old Army Marksmanship Unit trick and put a short piece of pipe cleaner between the upper and lower at the front (under the breech). That will make a very tight fit for free.
As the sights are a part of the upper, movement between the upper and lower has little or no effect on accuracy.

Old 04-02-2008, 02:23 PM   #8

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3471 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

^ What?!

I would fail to see any argument where a sound fit of upper and lower WOULDN'T be a benefit. I guess by that rationale you also would not need to firmly secure your barrelled action to your glass bedded stock on any bolt gun?

First off, I said "any play in the upper to lower match up" where the hell did that jump to an Accu-Wedge being the end all beat all to accuracy??

Second, since you brought it up, the sights are mounted to the upper, but you hold and shoot by the lower ( Pistol grip ). If the upper and lower move in relation to one another, your sight picture can change relative to hold.

Now, the annoying rattle aside, which I personally don't like anyways, the housing of the upper and lower are aluminum. The pins that hold them in place are steel. If they rattle back and forth under fire you have a wearing of dissimilar metals - guess which one is going to lose that battle.

Sam has two Stag parts, an upper and a lower, but from different end vendors, even though they are from the same company. While they could have come down the production line together, were seperated, and now are joined again in a holy union - but I kind of think that is unlikely. The gun shop near his house could have had that lower for a year, while the upper from Stag could have been produced last month. Any number of variables could have happened at the production facility in that time.

A little slop in the upper to lower match up may not affect him, or you, or anyone else on the forum, but I personally don't like any variables when a fix is easy and cheap.

For the record, I said an Accu-Wedge was $8 - it's $1.99 at CDNN, so even with shipping you are under $5, which is less than 1% of what he spent on the weapon. Hardly throwing money away in my opinion.

If you have a rifle that is shooting 6 inch groups at 100 - installing an Accu-Wedge isn't going to cut that in half. It will save on wear and tear between pins and action, it will keep the rattle down, and it might even improve your overall accuracy if for no other reason than you think it will. But don't buy it because you want to take the title at your local gun club....

Last edited by Dillinger; 04-02-2008 at 06:48 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 04-03-2008, 12:48 AM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samhain View Post
I just ordered my 1st AR. I bought the upper from bravocompanyusa.com
Stag Arms M4 profile 16" Upper Receiver Group.
Ready to mount to complete AR-15 lower receiver group for $385 (shipped)
Features:
16 inch Chrome Lined Bore and Chamber
M4 Profile
5.56 NATO
1/9 Twist
T-Marked Flat Top Upper Receiver
Forged Milspec "F" marked front sight base
Side Sling Mount

The gun shop by my house will sell me the complete Stag Arms lower for $295
The total for my 1st Homeland Defense Rifle - $680
Good deal...and good choice on the Stag. Hard to beat for the money. And that's about right on the lower, too. Stag lists them for $290 for the Tactical complete lower in their catalog. So for less than $700 you've got a winner.

Just for giggles...the AR platform has been around for over 40 years, mostly without the aid of a Wedgie. Add one if you like or not. The Rock River folks like to throw that out there, since their upper to lower fit is so tight, unlike all the loose AR's out there. Funny, the Stag and RRA use the same lower, both from CMT. So in theory, you could put a RRA upper on your Stag lower and have the same 'tight' fit. Just a thought.

Last edited by slowryde45; 04-04-2008 at 12:27 AM. Reason: added thought

Old 04-04-2008, 11:32 PM   #10

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Way to go!!