new guy with questions!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > new guy with questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2009, 07:30 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default new guy with questions!

I'm new to the forum, so "Hi" everyone. I'm glad forums like this are around, I've been reading posts for a few hours now and I thought of a question I haven't been able to search.
I recently purchased a bushmaster carbon 15 pistol, 5.56mm. 7.25"bbl
I called up bushmaster to see if it was a good idea or not to install a AAC suppressor I have for another AR. I wasn't expecting him to say "go ahead", due to the short gas system and increased back pressure or the can, my question is this:, has anyone tried shooting the pistol version with a sound suppressor, and will it destroy my new toy?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-13-2009, 07:46 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

First Welcome to the Forum -

Assuming you have all the legal paperwork in place, just to cover the Forum here should any of the Feds be wandering through.....

Are you running full power loads, or are you running subsonics through the AAC in the other model?

If you are running subsonics, You have to keep in mind that you have to derate the round for the barrel length for the can to work correctly.

I haven't personally tried it, but it would stand to reason that a full pressure round, in a short barreled, AAC attached would indeed cause excess pressure for the amount of time it takes for the pressure to dissipate out the end of the can. Since the pistol version is a much shorted stroke, I would say yes, it COULD cause problems under sustained fire.

One or two rounds here or there I don't believe is going to ruin it - assuming you are using full power loads.

With subsonics, if you derate for the length of the barrel, which is essentially determining how much pressure will be generated, I would imagine you could shoot all day without a hiccup....

Let us know what you find out - I would be curious to know as well.

JD

Old 01-13-2009, 08:38 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

My main concern would be for the Carbon 15's odd receiver materials. I'd hate to see you blow apart your over priced, plastic AR pistol.

Bushy is becoming a driving force in the AR market. I don't see why they wouldn't be able to provide you the info on what your target pressure would be. I'd bet money that at least 10% of Bushmaster's rifles and carbines have cans stuck to the end of them.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:57 PM   #4

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

SBRcarbon15

Glad to have you aboard and see you are already answer mining! That's what we're about.

I will defer your question to those in the know about those evil black rifles. My choice is the brown eastern Europe 7.62x39 type.

With that said, my engineering thinking would be to check with the suppressor maker and see if your 'can' is the recommended part for the new pistol. If not, and they have another part number for the new gun my guess would be don't use it.

Nuff said. Let the others help sort it out.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-13-2009, 09:23 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2743 Times on 1437 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Consider a heavier buffer. An H-2 would probably be a good idea, maybe an H-3.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:55 PM   #6

thanks for the replies guys, and the welcome. Well, AAC is located in GA as I am, and I tried getting them on the phone today, to no avail. I'll try again in the morning. My 5.56 suppressor is a Ranger 2 model. I'll have to machine a bushing to cover about 1/4" of threads on the pistol's barrel so the suppressor can screw down tight (it bottoms out due to the length of the threaded section). If AAC confirms that the gun will function suppressed I will post with the results. I'm due in Fl tomorrow and will be back sunday to start tinkering, until then, thanks again.

also to answer questions,
I am running full power 55g FMJ.

I will look into heavier buffers. (the stock pistol has a different bolt carrier and buffer than common AR's. but mine is SBR, and has been converted to a "normal" AR buffer system)
I do have a tax stamp for all of my suppressors, and for this SBR.

Last edited by SBRcarbon15; 01-14-2009 at 11:04 PM.

Old 01-24-2009, 05:05 PM   #7

The carbon bushy's do not run reliably with suppressors, also another thing to think about, that your barrel burn out will be much faster when using a can on a sub 10" bbl.

-DM-