new guy, new gun - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > new guy, new gun

View Poll Results: thoughts on this rifle
good 13 59.09%
bad 2 9.09%
undecided 1 4.55%
indifferent 6 27.27%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2009, 05:38 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

oh my bad...i live in chesapeake virginia near virginia beach...i know of a handful of indoor ranges that are like 25yrds, but that doesn't really help me with this rifle lol

Old 12-02-2009, 05:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknownhero82 View Post
hey how's it going i'm new to this site and new to the ar-15 world so i thought i'd say hi and introduce myself....my name is Johnlewis but everyone calls me Jd for short. i own a few handguns...mostly 1911s and a few rifles...i recently (as in just today) completed my first ever complete ar-15 build starting from a stripped dpms lower...minus a few extras that i still need to add...i.e. sling and bi-pod, everything else is completed...and i wanted to see what everyone thought about and if anyone had any opinions on good slings and bi-pods.

the details on the ar-15 are:
DPMS Lower, DPMS Internal parts, Magpul PRS stock, Magpul Suregrip Grip, 24" stainless steel bullbarrel with a 1/8 twist free floating, 12.5" quadrail foregaurd, 3-9x40 red/green mil-dot ao leepers scope...i'm gonna attempt to post pics...don't laugh at the blanket it's on...it's the brightest thing i could find to put the rifle on lol
As for the bi-pod check out harris bi-pods they are some of the best made out there. Midway runs sales on them every once in a while..

Old 12-02-2009, 06:01 PM   #13

sweet thanks for the advice i'll look into it and see what i can find

Old 12-05-2009, 03:49 AM   #14

Default update

update on the new ar...added a bi-pod...thinking of keeping the handle tho...gonna see how it feels holding on to it while i shoot this weekend, and probably for carrying....atleast til i get a sling...i'm looking at one from magpul but we'll see what happens...here's some updated pics

dscn0616.jpg   dscn0620.jpg   dscn0623.jpg   dscn0624.jpg  

Old 12-20-2009, 04:10 AM   #15

Liked 205 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Sorry I am late to the party, Very nice build and excelent choice in parts. Only one thing I could think of is lose the 30 round magizines and find some strraight 20 rounders, the 30's will just get in the way unless you use a sitting tripod.

Below is the reason I like your build.

Old 12-20-2009, 10:12 PM   #16

thanks...like yours as well...i've found 1 problem with mine which i'm about to fix...the way the scope sits you can't really grab the chargining handle...so i need to get something to raise the scope some or move it forward abit...but other then that i'm pretty happy with it...now i'm just lookin for someplace to shoot that's more then 25yards....anyone in the virginia beach/chesapeake area with land to shoot on? lol

Old 12-20-2009, 11:13 PM   #17

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
thanks...like yours as well...i've found 1 problem with mine which i'm about to fix...the way the scope sits you can't really grab the chargining handle...so i need to get something to raise the scope some or move it forward abit...but other then that i'm pretty happy with it...now i'm just lookin for someplace to shoot that's more then 25yards....anyone in the virginia beach/chesapeake area with land to shoot on? lol

No, just add one of these to your charging handle

Badger Tactical Latch

Old 12-20-2009, 11:16 PM   #18

the way my scope sits it doesn't look like that'll help any...i think my scope needs to get lifted alil higher or moved forward some...or both...

Old 12-21-2009, 12:27 AM   #19

Quote:
the way my scope sits it doesn't look like that'll help any...i think my scope needs to get lifted alil higher or moved forward some...or both...
I have the same problem on my AR-10. It actually sits low enough that I had to cut out part of the lens cover to get the cover to clear the rail. I was thinking of getting some new rings for it, but I'm hopefully gonna be getting a new scope soon, so I'm just gonna wait till then.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 12-21-2009, 02:16 AM   #20

well i saw this scope mount...it's kindda hard to discribe...atleast for me...hopefully i can pick it up tomorrow...if i can i'll take a before and after pic and post it on here...it's like a weaver rail that sits alil high and forward but just mounts on the upper and not the forearm rail....if that makes any sense