new guy, new gun
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > new guy, new gun

View Poll Results: thoughts on this rifle
good 13 59.09%
bad 2 9.09%
undecided 1 4.55%
indifferent 6 27.27%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2009, 08:06 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default new guy, new gun

hey how's it going i'm new to this site and new to the ar-15 world so i thought i'd say hi and introduce myself....my name is Johnlewis but everyone calls me Jd for short. i own a few handguns...mostly 1911s and a few rifles...i recently (as in just today) completed my first ever complete ar-15 build starting from a stripped dpms lower...minus a few extras that i still need to add...i.e. sling and bi-pod, everything else is completed...and i wanted to see what everyone thought about and if anyone had any opinions on good slings and bi-pods.

the details on the ar-15 are:
DPMS Lower, DPMS Internal parts, Magpul PRS stock, Magpul Suregrip Grip, 24" stainless steel bullbarrel with a 1/8 twist free floating, 12.5" quadrail foregaurd, 3-9x40 red/green mil-dot ao leepers scope...i'm gonna attempt to post pics...don't laugh at the blanket it's on...it's the brightest thing i could find to put the rifle on lol

dscn0610.jpg   dscn0611.jpg   dscn0612.jpg   dscn0613.jpg   dscn0615.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-02-2009, 10:03 AM   #2
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Nice job! It's an outstanding varmint rifle. Whether it's good or bad depends on what YOU want the rifle for. Personally, I prefer an AR outfitted for closer-range (shorter, lighter barrel, maybe a red dot sight instead of a scope) and something like a Remington 700 in .308 for long-range stuff.

Take it out and write up a range report!

Old 12-02-2009, 03:54 PM   #3

well i'm planning to build a few different uppers that are all set up differently. now this is probably gonna sound stupid but i have no idea what a range report is....do i just say how the rifle shot?

Old 12-02-2009, 04:05 PM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Welcome to the FTF Community.

First off, I have to say you did a good job on the build if this is your first one.

Personally, I had to vote indifferent because you have some competing
philosophies going with that model.

You got the long, bull barrel and the PSG-1 type stock and pistol grip, but then you have the forward vertical tilt grip.

I like it as a long range varminter, where I would dump the grip and add a bipod or a nice backpack to shoot off of. Then, of course, you need a quality piece of glass to put on top there.

All in all, a good piece of work for your first effort. The AR platform is capable of so many good things, it's just fun to play and experiment. Plus building it yourself is so rewarding and great for maintenence.

JD

Old 12-02-2009, 04:11 PM   #5

well the only reason i added the foregrip is because the barrel weighs a good 10lbs and i havn't found a good bi-pod to put on it yet, plus it makes it alil easier to carry around since i don't have a sling yet. and hopefully i'll be able to upgrade the glass soon and end up puttin that back on the rifle i had it on orginally

Old 12-02-2009, 04:18 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

There is no such thing as a bad AR. I like it thought I had the same thoughts that JD did. Glad you have that all sorted out though. One thing though, is that a forty round mag? Cause it looks bigger than a thirty to me. Maybe my eyes are just messed up.

The truth will set you free, but first it's going to piss you off.

"Time to nut up or shut up." - Tallahassee

"Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid." - The Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddn View Post
I'm a man, I see it as my obligation to like guns. And they are just so fun.

Old 12-02-2009, 04:23 PM   #7

haha nope it's a 30rd...its just sitting on another 30man that's actually in the rifle so it looks alil longer....once i find a good bi-pod the foregrip will come off and once i can find a niice sling...i was think of gettin one i saw from magpul

Old 12-02-2009, 04:39 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Good Job! and welcome aboard.

For a first time venture, you did very good. I have almost the same set-up, except they were out of the 24" barrel at the time, so I went with the 20".

Like JD pointed out, there are a few type things though. Now, take it as just my own personal opinions, you built your piece the way you saw fit.

1) I probably would have elected to go with a different forearm on there, instead of the 4-rail. But, that all depends on what you want to be able to do with it, and what it's main purpose will be. If you are building it for long range shooting (hence the Magpul PRS, 24" 1:8 twist barrel, palm-swell grip, scope), then is the 4-rail necessary? I guess if you are planning to add some type of lighting/infrared/etc. you would want it. But you could probably shave some weight off by going to something like the YHM smooth rifle forearm:

or maybe the JP Enterprises V-Tac

You can add rails to either of these, for mounting whatever you want to mount, and they weigh less than most 4-rail forearms.
2) Again, like JD said, loose the vertical fore grip, unless you think it looks like you want it to. There really is no need for one on a gun like this. Instead, invest in a good bi-pod, a Harris, Versa-Pod, etc.
3) Get some better glass for it. You don't need Swarovski or Schmidt&Bender, or that price tag. Go to Natchez or SWFA or Optics Planet, and check out the selections. You can get a very good Leupold/Nikon/Burris?etc. for under $300. Leepers is ok, mainly made for air soft and paintball type applications. I'm sure some will say different, but you can find better without breaking the bank.
4) Break the barrel in, per DPMS's instructions, cleaning after each of the first few shots, then after the next 5, or whatever it was. Again, some will say different, but on two similar barrels, I went with their instructions on one, and just started shooting the other w/o the cleaning. There is a noticeable difference - not much, but easily seen on the targets.
5) Lastly, after breaking in the barrel, shoot it, pay attention to your breathing, sighting, trigger work, and shoot for groups. After a couple hundred rounds, you should be able to tell if you want a trigger upgrade or not. Here, your options are many. Ranging from less than $100 for a good trigger job, to $100 and up for 2-stage NM or single stage triggers (Rock River Arms, Armalite, DPMS, Bushmaster all have NM 2-stage triggers) or you can buy a Timney, Chip McCormick, Geiselle, ATC Gold, Wilson TTU, etc.

all in all, you did very good and should be proud of your work. Looks great. Let us know how it does.

Slo

Old 12-02-2009, 05:07 PM   #9

hopefully i can find atleast a 100yrd range around here...most the outdoor places here are members only...and like i said hopefully soon i'll have a bi-pod on it and the foregrip off and a niice sling too

Old 12-02-2009, 05:24 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknownhero82 View Post
hopefully i can find atleast a 100yrd range around here...most the outdoor places here are members only...and like i said hopefully soon i'll have a bi-pod on it and the foregrip off and a niice sling too
Where is here? Around these parts, we have a couple outdoor ranges that offer up to 600 yards, and if not there, we just head up into the hills, lots of old gravel pits around with up to 200 yds.