New guy-new build - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > New guy-new build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2012, 11:48 PM   #31
jg3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin
Looks good, jg3! And lighter than expected. 7.3lbs isn't bad at all and I think you'll be glad you went with a LW barrel. I'm curious what a 16" SS LW barrel weighs, did you get a reading before installing it? My DD LW 16" 4150 barrel weighs 1.5lbs and the empty rifle is 6.5 but I knocked off a few ounces going with the MOE handguard instead of a rail.

Anyway, I bet it's a sweet rifle!
Thanks!!

Didn't get a chance to weigh the barrel, but according to their website it comes in at 26oz. not the lightest barrel you can buy, but it met all my criteria!!

Old 02-29-2012, 08:12 PM   #32

Liked 1004 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg3 View Post
Thanks!!

Didn't get a chance to weigh the barrel, but according to their website it comes in at 26oz. not the lightest barrel you can buy, but it met all my criteria!!
Well that's actually pretty impressive, only 2 oz more for LW SS than the DD 16" LW (26oz vs. 24oz). And we don't really know exactly how the barrel profiles compare. Pretty much a tossup.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 03-01-2012, 03:47 PM   #33

Well that is a damn good looking rifle....
Ive got one full factory built ar and your really giving me the itch to start the build ive been planning....

dammit i had other things on my list i wanted to get first

Old 03-01-2012, 10:57 PM   #34
jg3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatrat
Well that is a damn good looking rifle....
Ive got one full factory built ar and your really giving me the itch to start the build ive been planning....

dammit i had other things on my list i wanted to get first
Thanks, it has been a blast to plan and build. The gas block gave me some issues when it came time to pin the gas tube. Other than that it was relatively simple to assemble. Just take your time and lots of research. YouTube was a big help as well.

For me there is nothing like the satisfaction if taking a pile of parts and turning it into a functioning Machine.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:14 PM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Very nice JG3 ,,thats a great looking rifle !! I love the black and FDE ..

Old 03-05-2012, 02:48 AM   #36
jg3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Range report:
Sooo...the barrel break in went great ...then I started using some old reloads...before going to the russian ammo... Well three rounds into those I had I misfire, ejected the bullet and didn't think too much of it...everything looked alright....Well after that it ...it wouldn't cycle the next round...had to use the charging handle to load each round...well thought maybe it was the ammo so I tried the other two types of ammo I had and still same issues..partial loading of the next round..over and over....convinced it wasn't the ammo, I started to give the gun a closer inspection...Figuring it had to be a lack of gas in the system I checked to make sure the gas rings on the bolt where spaced out..no problem...looked to see that the gas tube wasn't kinked and it was fine but that's when I noticed that the gas block had shifted about a 1/8 towards the muzzle!!!...I disassembled the upper and re-locktighted the gas block into the proper place....gun ran like a dream for 150 rounds after that, all different types of ammo...ran out of time because of the mishap so I only had the sights and red dot sighted in at 50yds...didn't get a chance to play with her at 100yds...look forward to getting a large amount of the same bullets and really put some work in at 100+