New guy-new build - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

New guy-new build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2012, 04:33 AM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1240 Times on 861 Posts
Likes Given: 1287

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmboyz View Post
Have you handled the YHM diamond series rails? I put one on my YMH black diamond spector carbine build and it is the same if not lighter than any of the other quad rails I own. And forgive me for asking but what do you mean by clunky ? just curious ? I found everthing I have gotten from YHM to be top quality, though I prob dont have as much experience as some of you.
I've had good luck with their stuff in the past. However I've always thought it was strong but chunky. So that plus a SS barrel suggested weight to me. Never looked in to YHM rails, if they have something lightweight, good for them. Which rails have you compared them to?
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Old 01-27-2012, 09:13 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
I've had good luck with their stuff in the past. However I've always thought it was strong but chunky. So that plus a SS barrel suggested weight to me. Never looked in to YHM rails, if they have something lightweight, good for them. Which rails have you compared them to?
I dont have anything fancy, one is a Surefire and I cant remember the other brand it was one I picked up from my dealer for a good price. I am sure they dont compare to a ultra light Daniel Defense or anything but for what I do with them they are fine.

I wasnt trying to be offensive, just didnt know if you had a bad experience with a yhm product and what you meant by clunky.

Old 01-28-2012, 12:12 AM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmboyz View Post
I dont have anything fancy, one is a Surefire and I cant remember the other brand it was one I picked up from my dealer for a good price. I am sure they dont compare to a ultra light Daniel Defense or anything but for what I do with them they are fine.

I wasnt trying to be offensive, just didnt know if you had a bad experience with a yhm product and what you meant by clunky.
No not offensive at all, didn't take it that way...

No bad experience with YHM, just kind of think of their stuff as strong but a little awkward and large. Maybe I'm wrong, I've never bought a large component from them. It just struck me when reading through the OP's list of parts.

Old 02-25-2012, 03:23 AM   #24
jg3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well all im waiting for is the barrel, should be coming in the mail tomorrow....went with the Wilson combat 16" stainless steel light weight profile 1:8 twist.....also a rainier arms stainless steel gas block and stainless steel rainier arms XTC comp. couldnt wait to do a mock up though...lol
image-519402190.jpg   image-474846685.jpg  

Old 02-28-2012, 05:00 AM   #25
jg3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Some first shots with the phone. Still need to fully tighten the flash hider on (crush washer not allowing for proper alignment, gonna get a peel washer instead)
Will post more pictures tomorrow...range trip this weekend!!
image-2967248625.jpg   image-2414333366.jpg  

Old 02-28-2012, 06:23 AM   #26

How much did this build run you?

Looks great by the way

Old 02-28-2012, 07:06 AM   #27
jg3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sn8ke
How much did this build run you?

Looks great by the way
Thanks...I'm happy with the finish product.
The gun with sights and two mags came to just over $1,000. I know I probably could have done better for that price but I got the exact gun that I wanted. I haven't weighed it with a full mag yet, but it came in at 7.3 with no mag or RDS. I will be updating the original post to modify some changes I made along the way. As well as add some pictures with an actual camera...lol

Thanks again to everyone on the thread for their input, wether directly or through my post stalking...lol

Old 02-28-2012, 01:46 PM   #28

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Nice looking riffle! You did good I like the look of stainless.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:32 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Looks good, jg3! And lighter than expected. 7.3lbs isn't bad at all and I think you'll be glad you went with a LW barrel. I'm curious what a 16" SS LW barrel weighs, did you get a reading before installing it? My DD LW 16" 4150 barrel weighs 1.5lbs and the empty rifle is 6.5 but I knocked off a few ounces going with the MOE handguard instead of a rail.

Anyway, I bet it's a sweet rifle!

Old 02-28-2012, 11:02 PM   #30

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin
Looks good, jg3! And lighter than expected. 7.3lbs isn't bad at all and I think you'll be glad you went with a LW barrel. I'm curious what a 16" SS LW barrel weighs, did you get a reading before installing it? My DD LW 16" 4150 barrel weighs 1.5lbs and the empty rifle is 6.5 but I knocked off a few ounces going with the MOE handguard instead of a rail.

Anyway, I bet it's a sweet rifle!
You'd be surprised at how much those MOEs weight. When i swapped out the MOE for a 11" Samson Evo on my BCM it made a noticeable difference. It might just be a balance thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."