New guy-new build - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > New guy-new build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2012, 03:28 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1067 Times on 750 Posts
Likes Given: 1063

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg3 View Post
... What about my parts list is making it seem more hunting/heavy oriented? My brother-in-law who was my main source of advice said that I had to go stainless barrel and if not I would regret it

The whole thing stared with the RRA stripped lower bought at a gun show. That's the reason I was going to get an RRA upper (hopefully better fit ment)

All in all though I just want a gun that shoots relatively accurately and is reliable ...
The SS barrel and YHM rail suggest extra weight. YHM stuff tends to be heavy and clunky. Not saying bad, just big. I would disregard your bil's advice, SS is good for certain apps but not for a general AR or lightweight AR.

It is nice to get the same stripped upper as lower but not necessary. Completely up to you but not worth a large premium unless you're concerned about fit and matching finish. Odds are you can get the stripped RRA in the ball park so why not match receivers.

I would skip the chromed BCG too. Unnecessary, just get a quality one from Rainier, I think they still sell a true FA/M16 BCG.

Finally, are you sure you want to assemble the upper? There's a huge selection of factory assembled uppers and at no extra cost. Something to consider anyway.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:49 PM   #12
jg3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin

The SS barrel and YHM rail suggest extra weight. YHM stuff tends to be heavy and clunky. Not saying bad, just big. I would disregard your bil's advice, SS is good for certain apps but not for a general AR or lightweight AR.

It is nice to get the same stripped upper as lower but not necessary. Completely up to you but not worth a large premium unless you're concerned about fit and matching finish. Odds are you can get the stripped RRA in the ball park so why not match receivers.

I would skip the chromed BCG too. Unnecessary, just get a quality one from Rainier, I think they still sell a true FA/M16 BCG.

Finally, are you sure you want to assemble the upper? There's a huge selection of factory assembled uppers and at no extra cost. Something to consider anyway.
Good to know about the weight i would gain.... The barrel comes in at 2.4lbs ... What is the weight of a lightweight barrel?

I am not sure why I am so set on building my own....experience and knowledge of the weapon I guess are the main factors.

As far as the upper goes, I'm gonna go with the RRA because of fitment and I can get an assembled one with FA and EP for $108 shipped on AR15.com besides that one I was also looking at a local dealer (Black Weapons Armory)

What are the advantages of a full auto BCG... And why not chrome?

Thanks again for all the advice!!

Old 01-09-2012, 09:49 PM   #13

My ArmaLite HBAR weighs 2.5lbs while my Daniel Defense LW comes in at 1.5lbs. Both are 16" midlengths. That extra pound really weighs down the muzzle, it's shocking how slow I am with that AR and how tiring it is after a couple hours in the desert.

The FA BCG adds a little moving mass to the action which can aid in reliability. The AR originally was designed with that weight so I'd rather have it today, just like many of us like an H buffer over standard weight.

Full chrome just takes money out of your pocket and puts it in someone else's. And so many make it the important spec when you should be looking at the quality of the bolt, staking, etc. instead. (Not saying not to have a chrome lined gas key and carrier, that's good - just not a completely chromed BCG.)

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 01-10-2012, 04:15 AM   #14
jg3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Awesome info!! Thanks again

I have a lot to think about...

My current upper is going to run about $750 give or take, based on what I listed above plus comp and maybe added labor to pin the gas block as suggested. The point is, i am having a hard time finding a prefab upper with similar features for the same price range.

I do like the idea of going with a light weight barrel, suggestions ??

Old 01-10-2012, 07:46 AM   #15

Quite a few of us are fond of the Daniel Defense LW barrel which is hammer forged. Sometimes you can find a good deal and it shouldn't be much more than a SS.

______

Old 01-10-2012, 04:48 PM   #16

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

DD and BCM have great barrels.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 01-15-2012, 10:56 PM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm with MJ on the matching upper and lowers, if you go to a gunshow take your lower with you and see how they fit together, I know most all say "Mil-spec" and a lot of the vendors say "Mil-spec is mil-spec" and blah blah blah, but the fits do vary slightly i've noticed, some are SUPER tight and some are kinda loose and almost rattle.

If you're wanting to get into competition you should always consider your weight and how things work for you, if you maintain best response time and accuracy with an around the hanguard style grip you'll want a Narrower rail aswell as lightweight. If you use a vg or magwell grip for best accuracy the thickness of it might not be such a concern and allow you to broaden your choices.

The other thing to consider if you're planning on putting it through the paces is that if you buy cheap parts every piece you put on is sub-par for durability and consistency aswell. Everytime your stock wiggles, every % of play effects your orientation angle consistency. Little things like that make up for misses at range

Old 01-27-2012, 01:38 AM   #18
jg3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Update:
RRA chrome BCG and charging handle
Aero precision assembled upper reciever
Primary arms m4 clone

image-4120908462.jpg   image-1822736558.jpg  

Old 01-27-2012, 02:30 AM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
The SS barrel and YHM rail suggest extra weight. YHM stuff tends to be heavy and clunky. Not saying bad, just big..

Have you handled the YHM diamond series rails? I put one on my YMH black diamond spector carbine build and it is the same if not lighter than any of the other quad rails I own. And forgive me for asking but what do you mean by clunky ? just curious ? I found everthing I have gotten from YHM to be top quality, though I prob dont have as much experience as some of you.

Old 01-27-2012, 02:32 AM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

congrats jg3, looks like you have a good start to your first build.. Be careful though they are very addicting.. my addiction started with one and grew to 7 1/2 now