Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > New guy-new build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2012, 03:13 AM   #1
jg3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default New guy-new build

What's up... I'm new to the forum and this is my first gun build.

So far I have only built the lower, which includes:

RRA stripped lower
Standard LPK
MAGPUL MOE GRIP
4 position buttstock
(unknown brand bought at gunshow)
2 30 rd pmags

Parts that I have planned for the upper:

RRA upper reciever
RRA charging handle
RRA chrome BCG
Rainier arms 16" match SS barrel
(mid length gas)
(anybody have any opinions on these barrels?)
Clamping low profile gas block
(would like suggestions)
YHM diamond series rifle length handguard
MAGPUL MBUS (FDE)

In the future I will hopefully find a good deal on an eotech.... But I am on a tight budget and just buying things as I can

Thanks for reading and look forward to everyone's feedback.
I attached a few photos to show the little bit of progress that I have made, since these photos the LPK installed as well as the mystery buttstock (lol)

image-3222202225.jpg   image-349255378.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-09-2012, 03:25 AM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Really nice.

Suggestions since you asked and considering how much I like to share my opinion:

I'm assuming the stock is a commercial and not mil-spec. It's probably an airsoft Magpul CTR knock-off.

Rainier makes a good barrel and if PSA doesn't get any of their SS Wylde uppers in stock I will get a Ranier barrel and upper reciever. Yes, go mid length but have Ranier pin the gas block for you. It's cheap and won't move around making you're AR a single shot rifle.

Don't let budget force you into cutting corners. Take your time and save up.

Lastly look around at different rails. You might find something you like better.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 01-09-2012, 03:38 AM   #3
jg3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for the response...and good suggestion on having rainier pin the gas block.

Any particular rail you would suggest? I definetly want free float and quad rail.

Thanks again

Old 01-09-2012, 03:39 AM   #4

yeah the stock looks like a Magpul knockoff. Looks like you are off to a great start. like MJ said, dont cut corners or you will ending spending more on future replacements

Old 01-09-2012, 03:43 AM   #5
jg3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yeah I'm trying hard to not just go out and buy budget parts just so I can get it on the range sooner (that was the first piece of advice I had recieved when embarking on this venture)... Besides the buttstock is there anything else on the list that stands out as "cutting corners". From what I had read up on RRA was a good brand to go with? They aren't colt (but who is). I don't want to come off as cheap just trying to stretch every dollar

Old 01-09-2012, 03:52 AM   #6

RRA is a good brand. You should invest in some good BUIS and a good red dot. EOTech and Aimpoint are generally considered the best.

Old 01-09-2012, 05:15 AM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg3 View Post
Thanks for the response...and good suggestion on having rainier pin the gas block.

Any particular rail you would suggest? I definetly want free float and quad rail.

Thanks again
Look into Daniel Defense. They are not cheap but they look cool as hell, are light considering, and are probably the best rail available. Samson makes a quad rail for Ranier that looks nice. If it's as nice as the Samson I have it's a quality rail. Centurion and Troy make a good rail as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg3 View Post
Yeah I'm trying hard to not just go out and buy budget parts just so I can get it on the range sooner (that was the first piece of advice I had recieved when embarking on this venture)... Besides the buttstock is there anything else on the list that stands out as "cutting corners". From what I had read up on RRA was a good brand to go with? They aren't colt (but who is). I don't want to come off as cheap just trying to stretch every dollar
It's hard not to settle just to get it in your hands asap.

RRA makes an accurate AR from the things I've read on this forum. I would classify it as a hunting type AR.

Have you looked into other manufacturers?

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 01-09-2012, 05:23 AM   #8

Liked 949 Times on 671 Posts
Likes Given: 942

It does sound like you're building a hunting or at least heavier rifle, is that what you want? What do you actually want out of your build? It's hard to give advice unless we know.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 01-09-2012, 07:46 AM   #9
jg3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin
It does sound like you're building a hunting or at least heavier rifle, is that what you want? What do you actually want out of your build? It's hard to give advice unless we know.
Yeah I should have started with that... Mostly gonna just be used for plinking in the desert and range... Would like to possibly get into some sort of tactical competitions in the future (??)... What about my parts list is making it seem more hunting/heavy oriented? My brother-in-law who was my main source of advice said that I had to go stainless barrel and if not I would regret it

The whole thing stared with the RRA stripped lower bought at a gun show. That's the reason I was going to get an RRA upper (hopefully better fit ment)

All in all though I just want a gun that shoots relatively accurately and is reliable ...

Old 01-09-2012, 01:30 PM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

What kind of tactical comp.? If you're going to be doing 3gun or any kind of run and gun you'll want a light weapon. Youtube 3gun and look at their ARs, they are all super light set-ups. SS barrels are nice but usually on the heavy side. Some places such as Noveske and Delta Company Arms make lighter weight SS barrels.

I like to have uppers and lowers of the same brand as well. I don't know why but I do.

-John Ruskin

Quote: