Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   New Frontier Armory (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/new-frontier-armory-63106/)

DrewNJNC 04-23-2012 02:38 PM

New Frontier Armory

Hey guys look at this deal and let me know what you think and that company, etc.

http://www.JoeBobOutfitters.com/New_Frontier_Armory_LW_15_Complete_Poly_Lower_p/nfa-lw15blk.htm

DrewNJNC 04-23-2012 02:56 PM

It's polymer by the way but the torture tests on www.LW15.com are pretty interesting.

mudpupp 04-23-2012 03:05 PM

Great gun shop here in Vegas. One of our best.

silverado113 04-23-2012 03:07 PM

I don't like polymer lowers so I don't know much about the quality, however I can say that' I've done business with Joe Bobs and they are good people with fast shipping.

canebrake 04-23-2012 03:48 PM

You get what you pay for.

The only mention of poly AR lowers I can remember here on the FTF have been complaints.

The AR platform is/was designed to be a lightweight carbine. Stoner used aluminium as the foundation of the firearm. Substitution of an inferior material to fit the same form factor as the original design results in a predictable outcome.

Unless the poly-lower comes with re-bar, don't bother wasting your money.

BenLuby 04-23-2012 03:54 PM

If you plan on plinking very little, and cost is crucial, with minimum rounds put through it? I won't say much. You plan on shooting a couple hundred rounds a trip and are a regular at the range? I'd recommend that you spend the extra and get a forged aluminum. Better to pay once than pay twice.

One more thing? Joebobs used to carry the Plum Crazy polymer lowers. They dropped them. That should say a lot about the polymers.

Fixer 04-23-2012 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canebrake (Post 779662)
You get what you pay for.

The only mention of poly AR lowers I can remember here on the FTF have been complaints.

The AR platform is/was designed to be a lightweight carbine. Stoner used aluminium as the foundation of the firearm. Substitution of an inferior material to fit the same form factor as the original design results in a predictable outcome.

Unless the poly-lower comes with re-bar, don't bother wasting your money.

I am not sure i agree with you on this. I think ES used what was the best he could find at the time of his design. The advances in technology have dwarfed his little shop knowledge.

If a manufacturer is using CHEAP polymer and cheap manufacturing technques then I would agree 7075 is better, but on the other hand NFA says their polymer goes way above the old stuff used by Plumbcrazy and Bushmaster.

The same can be said for many things nowadays when dealing with firearms.

I would trust an airsoft Magpul PTS CTR made from DuPont polymer over a Colt Fiberlite stock made in the 1990s. Yes the PTS gear is substandard, but it exceeds the standard plastics used 20 years ago.

20 years ago Salt Nitrate baths were inferior to Chrome lining. That is not the case today. Melonite QPQ is out performing standard chrome lining by a huge margin if the data is correct, (double chrome lining isnt part of the testing).

All in all, I wouldnt make a call on the NFA Polymer Lower as of yet. The jury is still out and we need some years of reviews first before dismiss the polymer lower once again.

BenLuby 04-23-2012 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fixer (Post 779831)
I am not sure i agree with you on this. I think ES used what was the best he could find at the time of his design. The advances in technology have dwarfed his little shop knowledge.

If a manufacturer is using CHEAP polymer and cheap manufacturing technques then I would agree 7075 is better, but on the other hand NFA says their polymer goes way above the old stuff used by Plumbcrazy and Bushmaster.

The same can be said for many things nowadays when dealing with firearms.

I would trust an airsoft Magpul PTS CTR made from DuPont polymer over a Colt Fiberlite stock made in the 1990s. Yes the PTS gear is substandard, but it exceeds the standard plastics used 20 years ago.

20 years ago Salt Nitrate baths were inferior to Chrome lining. That is not the case today. Melonite QPQ is out performing standard chrome lining by a huge margin if the data is correct, (double chrome lining isnt part of the testing).

All in all, I wouldnt make a call on the NFA Polymer Lower as of yet. The jury is still out and we need some years of reviews first before dismiss the polymer lower once again.

None of us are out right dismissing them. What we're saying is, based on their track record, it's not worth the risk to us. If, in a year or two we are hearing great things about them, we may shift to the poly's. But based on recent history? It's not worth the risk based on historical data.

Fixer 04-23-2012 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenLuby (Post 779843)
None of us are out right dismissing them. What we're saying is, based on their track record, it's not worth the risk to us. If, in a year or two we are hearing great things about them, we may shift to the poly's. But based on recent history? It's not worth the risk based on historical data.

I agree, but someone has to lead the way...LOL

What if Jim Beam said, "Don't use that corn in our Bourbon!"... heck my daughter may never have been born.

okdonk 04-24-2012 07:50 AM

NFA is my fav LGS. Closest to me and staffs are very very friendly. The reviews of their polymer been great.. lot people have been demanding it. Personally i wouldnt get a polymer yet, is alumunium lower feel heavy these days?? If im not mistaken, internal parts are plastics too. Correct me if im wrong.
My conclusion is as i said alumunium too heavy and too expensive now?