New free float question
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > New free float question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 01:26 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

I just replaced my handguards on my Delton with a one piece free float . Do I have to check for headspace? I went back with exact same parts bolt, upper, and all . It seams as tho my head space is smaller now ?is that possible ?if I turned the nut farther then previously set it shouldn't matter right? Sorry if explanation is vague

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-11-2012, 01:31 AM   #2

Liked 1069 Times on 752 Posts
Likes Given: 1073

I don't see how that would affect headspace. Which is bolt to barrel extension.

What makes you think it's smaller?

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:42 PM   #3

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Hrm. I think you have the definition of headspace wrong.

Headspace is measured from the bolt face to the inside of the barrel extention. Imagine if you will, where your .223/5.56 round (bullet) goes when you load up your AR. The very end of the barrel there is a cavity (chamber) where the bullet goes into. The chamber is loacted in the barrel extention, and is located inside the upper receiver. The bolt closes up the chamber, holding the round in place. Headspace is measured inside chamber.

Even if you had to remove the barrel when you changed out the handguards, you would not have changed the dimensions of your chamber. Headspacing is not required.

You want to measure headspacing, if you had shot a lot of rounds though your gun. The chamber tends to erode and get larger with higher round counts. If you have a lot of rounds in your gun, it is a good idea to headspace your rifle.

If you are buying a used rifle and do not know for sure the round count on it, its a good idea to headspace your gun.

If you just changed the reciever extention on your barrel (this is very unlikely as most people would just buy another complete barrel) headspacing should be done.

If you are looking to make match grade hand loads and want to maximize OAL then headspacing should be done.

Last edited by AgentTikki; 12-11-2012 at 08:44 PM.