New Bushmaster M4/A3 - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > New Bushmaster M4/A3

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2011, 12:11 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1004 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot86 View Post
I hate that they give ya a huge shotgun looking case with that small of a gun. One of my buddies has the exact same model. I'd start with a good sling, optic, and flip up rear sight.
Funny story about that oversize case, my buddy wanted to store his Bushmaster in my safe over the winter so he brought it over LOCKED in the case and left it with my wife. When I got home no key of course so he had to come back to open it. He really thought I had room for that case in my safe! (Actually I could have wiggled it out of the case even with the lock but figured he should open it.)

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 03-24-2011, 12:51 AM   #12

Haha. The thing is HUGE. I don't understand it.

Old 03-24-2011, 02:24 PM   #13

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot86 View Post
Haha. The thing is HUGE. I don't understand it.
When they said it comes in a hard case I thought cool. When I got it I was like damn maybe they shipped me a M14 not M4. lol

First thing I am going to do is get a Tactical gun case for it. Oh and order some mags.

It is better than the cardboard box that my Century WASR-10 came in.

Old 03-26-2011, 03:04 PM   #14

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I have been getting alot of flack about getting a BushMaster. People saying they are low grade and not a good rifle. I always thought Bushmaster and Colt were good rifles and they have been making them longer than anyone.

It seems every time I buy a gun I have some Know it all telling me that I should have gotten something different.

Is BM good or not?

Last edited by Blaine; 03-26-2011 at 03:07 PM.

Old 03-26-2011, 04:47 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaine View Post
I have been getting alot of flack about getting a BushMaster. People saying they are low grade and not a good rifle. I always thought Bushmaster and Colt were good rifles and they have been making them longer than anyone.

It seems every time I buy a gun I have some Know it all telling me that I should have gotten something different.

Is BM good or not?
This opens a can of worms. How good do you need it to be? How much did you pay for the quality you got? Hard to answer these questions.

I won't say BM is low grade but you don't want to pay the same for one when you could have gotten BCM and others. Colt is excellent but you will pay more for their quality.

Myself, I wouldn't buy Bushmaster or the M4 profile barrel. My buddy has one, it works fine for what he uses it for and he's happy. If you're happy don't worry what others think. But don't expect everyone to rave over your rifle when they see it at the range, most will like it but some won't. You can live with it or maybe a year from now decide to upgrade. Either way is ok.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 03-26-2011, 05:22 PM   #16

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

The first thing is how much did you pay for it. BM has quality control problem. They also half-ass some things. Most of the things can be fixed some cant. If you picked the rifle up for a decent price you might still be ok. If you paid their normal asking price you could have had a much better rifle for the same money.

My first AR was a LWRC. I paid 2k for it w/o optic. Talk about shock and disappointment when I read they had carrier tilt problems. I believe they have fixed this problem but its to late for me. I guess they sell a one piece carrier kit, but its almost $400. My point is do research first. Google the crap out it. Sometimes I'm up until 4am researching future purchases. My wife hates it, but hey. You'll find the majority of the time you can find a higher quality firearm for equal or less money.

Old 03-26-2011, 06:00 PM   #17

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I paid $880.

Bushmaster M4/A3 Patrolman
16" M4 m203 cutout
1:9 twist 6 grooves and lands
30 round mag
A3 upper receiver with picatinny rail and removeable carry handle
aircraft aluminum upper and lower
Manganese phosphate coated
hard anodized mil-spec finish
6 position buttstock

Old 03-26-2011, 06:05 PM   #18

MJ is absolutely right and I would say start your research now for your next AR. Take a year, whatever, but google, read stickies here and elsewhere, formulate good questions in your head then ask for answers. But don't spend money now except for ammo. Go out and shoot your Bushy a lot. Maintain it, get at least 1,000 rounds through it. It'll work and if it does have some glitches fix them and keep shooting. Don't make any drastic decisions for at least six months. Almost any decision you make before doing the research you'll regret later, except buying ammo and learning your weapon and sights.

______

Old 03-26-2011, 06:11 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaine View Post
I paid $880...
Well for $880 you could have done better especially if you built it, but don't worry about it now. I just finished a Daniel Defense build for $850 including iron sights, sling and magazine. To me it's a better rifle, to you maybe it's not.

______

Old 03-26-2011, 06:17 PM   #20

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks for the reply's.

It will be fine for what I want and need it for. I just wanted to see what you guys thought about it. I was looking for a quaility entry level AR that was good right out of the box.