Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > New Bushmaster issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2011, 10:45 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikemechanic53 View Post
I had the same problem with one I bought in Jan. Bushmaster also told me they would fix the problem and emailed me a Fedex label.

I sent the upper to them. They refused the shipment, so Fedex dropped it off at my mailing address. I've had it reshipped to them. But there is no longer any customer support. No phone support and no email responses. So I don't know if they have it, refused it, or threw it away..

So I'd be very cautious about sending anything to them at this time. I'm not sure if I'll get my upper back or not, since they don't respond to anything.

Tom
If true this is absolutely ridiculous. How long until people stop supporting a company like this?

Old 04-01-2011, 01:01 AM   #12

Liked 949 Times on 671 Posts
Likes Given: 945

That's inexcusable but it's not the first time I've heard such a thing about Bushmaster. No doubt it's partially due to closing the Windham, ME plant and moving. But you'd think they'd have learned something after they closed the Lake Havasu, AZ plant. A guy returned his Carbon 15 about that time and it got packed up and moved to Maine so it took many months for him to get it straightened out. At least I think he got it back.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:37 PM   #13

Default Results ?

Thanks for the replies. Bushmaster has reported to me the barrel needs to be re-indexed. I agree this is kind of irritating. They are supposed to send me a label and ship the gun back to them and they will fix it under warranty. I read earlier that someone just sent the upper back. Does anyone know if thats what they will have me do? I will say that Bushmasters customer service has been great so far...... Time will tell for sure. This is a lesson to do more research before purchasing. I thought I did enough, guess not.

Old 04-03-2011, 06:37 PM   #14

My BM Upper (sittin on RRA Lower) is like that too, Dammit! How much trouble would it be or what is involved in changing-out just the barrel with one from a more reputable manufacturer?? Does head-spacing have to be done? Any answers will be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-03-2011, 06:52 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

A friend of mine got the same rifle this year late jan if I recall, his had the exact problem. He returned to our ffl and got a NIB 20" target rifle that was ok. I have also heard from a firearms inst that purchased a lot of rifles from bushmaster for their dept and had problems with over half of them. Most had loose barrel nuts or not aligned correct, some had gas issues with short stroking malfunctions, Needless to say they were not impressed. With all these problems croping up I would say the BM quality has gone to S**T

Old 04-03-2011, 07:28 PM   #16
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2231 Times on 1116 Posts
Likes Given: 1144

Unfortunately not uncommon! This is a result of first of all not testing rifles before they are packed and shipped. And also quality control at the facility. Not properly fixturring the front sight assembly with the Index Pin when drilling and installing the front sight housing. In addition when they speak of re-indexing the barrel. It usually constitutes striking the front sight housing with a raw hide mallet. To move the front sight assembly slightly one way or the other. For example one company that will remain unmentioned at this point in the past sold 65 each ARs to a Sheriff's Department and 56 of them had the same problem you mentioned in fact about 20+ of them was unable to be sighted in at all due to the fact they did not have that much windage adjustment. And the aperture was clear over to the right against the Rear Sight Aperture Housing. The company did fix them using the Malatizing procedure mentioned above. I later found out they had sent well over a thousand plus rifles out with the same problem in the same time period. So for some this is a continuing problem. Which in this situation I was contacted by the Range Master at the Sheriff's department who had received a letter that there was not that much wrong with the rifles but they did make the necessary adjustment. The Sheriff wanted them sent to me for evaluation since he wanted to know what was going on. They had used the mallet method to adjust. I pulled the barrels off of the samples (10 each) and found the aluminum square slot in the upper receiver where the index pin goes had the aluminum flowed to one side due to the strike on one side of the front sight assembly. They did correct the problem! But the technique did not set well with the agency. I understand now some of those companies may be possibly making a radius half moon cut instead of the square slot for the index pin so they can adjust them as mentioned above and no one can tell they struck the front sight since there will be no visible sign? Not to mention this same company had frequently put rifle front sight housings on carbine rifles causing an elevation adjustment problem. In these cases the Front Sight Post almost unscrews completely out of the Front Sight Housing and you still do not have enough adjustment to bring the point of impact down. I addition some have a problem with the lack of staking on the carrier keys and over sized gas ports. I hate to bad mouth any company but as Quentin stated there is no excuse for this type of quality no matter what company it is. I have a friend who has been sent there to correct the issues mentioned above and I assure you he will!. And as mentioned there have been some significant changes in that portion of the industry.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:40 PM   #17

Liked 949 Times on 671 Posts
Likes Given: 945

Malletizing procedure... I've got to remember that one! Gives me an image of technicians with mallets chasing around a bunch of bushamsters! Kinda like WackaMole... Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Sniper03, thank you for that detailed information. If that kind of crap happens to LE shipments then no wonder civilians get problem guns too. Only thing is so many slap on a RDS and don't see the alignment problem until later.

You don't have to say who the second manufacturer is but I suspect ArmaLite, DPMS or Bushmaster since they routinely use the A2 height FSP on flat tops instead of F-marked FSBs. I had to buy a Bushmaster taller front sight post for my ArmaLite to solve the problem of the factory front sight unscrewed enough to wobble around when zeroed at 50 yards. A lot of people don't know they have that problem until they replace their commercial height rear sight with a standard height model.

Sad that some manufacturers ironed out these problems long ago yet too many companies follow along blindly, even making the same mistakes or not using quality assemblers.

ETA:

Quick fixes that one LE dealer routinely performs on Bushmasters: http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=13532
I imagine he'd send back barrels that need reindexing.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Quentin; 04-03-2011 at 09:59 PM.

Old 04-03-2011, 11:12 PM   #18

Liked 672 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 678

That is really too bad. In the 1990's I bought a BM DCM because of the accuracy and qaulity. I paid big money back then, but it has been stellar all these years. We are talking standard A2 DCM as the A3 did not exist.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:59 PM   #19

Default Huh

Is this re-indexing something that a decent gun smith or armorer can perform? I am still waiting for the return label from BM, WISKY TANGO FOXTROT if you know what I mean. If I could have this fixed local I would rather do that. This will of coarse cost me but I don't know if I want to send my rifle to those hacks. Any one know?????????

Old 04-04-2011, 02:45 PM   #20

By definition you trusted them enough to buy the gun, they should be able to do the work on it. How can the same guys become HACKS after you purchased the gun? The company screwed up by not test firing. Make them make it right. Don't buy from them again, but make this right.

I would send just the upper, not the whole gun. You have shot this and it does function properly, just shoot around corners, right? so why send the lower? Unless they require it for the SE# and the warrantee.

This should never have happened, but since it has I would make them pay for every part of making it right.