New Bushmaster issues
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > New Bushmaster issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2011, 03:44 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default New Bushmaster issues

I just purchased a new Bushmaster XM-15 A3 upper. I went to sight the rifle in and at 25 yard I had to move the rear peep sight almost all the way to the left to hit the center of the target, probably 12 to 14 clicks. I thought this was pretty crapy so I did some research on the net and discovered this is a common problem with Bushmaster Rifles. Any way I called Bushmaster and they are going to have me send the Rifle back (they are paying to ship it) and they will re-index the barrel and fix the problem. Just a post in case some one else has the same problem. I am new to the AR platform gun so I have plenty to learn. Sound right to everyone?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-30-2011, 04:06 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5914 Times on 3087 Posts
Likes Given: 415

not terribly common but it does happen. 20 years ago most companies used to test fire all weapons but it doesnt happen so much anymore. they would rather deal with the occasional return than the expense of testfire in some cases.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-30-2011, 03:56 PM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Here I go again, lol.

It depends on the company you buy from. My DD, Noveske and Spikes were testfired from the factory. BCM tests fires there rifles as well.

Id tell them to keep it.

Old 03-30-2011, 05:55 PM   #4

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Same as with RRA's, they are test fired as well from factory before sell. Good luck with the Bushy, they can be hit and miss at times, here lately though, more miss than hit. YMMV

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 03-30-2011, 08:46 PM   #5

Liked 1061 Times on 747 Posts
Likes Given: 1061

My DD and ArmaLite uppers both were test fired but with a stripped upper I don't know if they worry much about the sighting. The AR came with its own BCG while the DD was bought without one so I was surprised they test fired it.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:50 PM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

W/ the prices of BCMs Id return it and start over.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:29 PM   #7
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1385 Times on 700 Posts
Likes Given: 1025

I think they've still got their ACR recall going on. Sorry to hear about problems with the XM15.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:15 PM   #8

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
Here I go again, lol.

It depends on the company you buy from. My DD, Noveske and Spikes were testfired from the factory. BCM tests fires there rifles as well.

Id tell them to keep it.
Hard to test fire an upper. Any machine that is made can slip past the QC folks at the factory. None are immune from an occasional lemon. Give them a chance to make it right, they want to keep your business.

I also bought a Bushmaster XM-15 upper, for my frankengun, and it has been flawless from day one.
Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 03-31-2011, 10:17 PM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer461 View Post
Hard to test fire an upper. Any machine that is made can slip past the QC folks at the factory. None are immune from an occasional lemon. Give them a chance to make it right, they want to keep your business.

I also bought a Bushmaster XM-15 upper, for my frankengun, and it has been flawless from day one.
Its very easy to test fire an upper however very few take the time to do it. Refer to the companies listed previously in this thread. Just like staking or just simply assembling a rifle properly. It cuts into profits so many refuse to do it.

An occasional lemon is fine and expected from time to time. Some just have way more than others. When your QC is suspect (due to cutting into profit margins or just plain not caring) you're bound to have an orchard.

A $600 rifle from some of these lower quality brands wouldn't be that bad. The thing is most of them charge just as much for their stuff as the more reputable places do. Theres a very reputable company that at times sells rifles for less than, and often in the same price range as you can get a lesser quality rifle for.

If I can get a professional quality upper for $399 why go anywhere else?

I would venture to guess your BM was around that same price.

Ill echo something I found very smart. Flawless can be many different things. Flawless for 100 rounds, flawless for 10k over the last 10 years, and flawless through multiple 2k 2 day carbine class. Get what fits your needs. Not everyone attends multiple classes a year. I don't. But at the same time if I can purchase a rifle capable of extreme hard use at the price of a range weapon I'm going w/ the first option.

Last edited by mjkeat; 03-31-2011 at 10:30 PM.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:38 PM   #10

I had the same problem with one I bought in Jan. Bushmaster also told me they would fix the problem and emailed me a Fedex label.

I sent the upper to them. They refused the shipment, so Fedex dropped it off at my mailing address. I've had it reshipped to them. But there is no longer any customer support. No phone support and no email responses. So I don't know if they have it, refused it, or threw it away..

So I'd be very cautious about sending anything to them at this time. I'm not sure if I'll get my upper back or not, since they don't respond to anything.

Tom