new bushmaster, does this look rite
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > new bushmaster, does this look rite

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2012, 05:32 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default new bushmaster, does this look rite

Brand new bush. never shot. Looks like the tube is just barley holding the buffer retainer. Would the factory do this. I'll try to post pic later, I'm on my Droid phone. What do yall think. Thanks.

Last edited by rgv_ar15; 07-05-2012 at 06:01 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-05-2012, 05:34 AM   #2

Liked 711 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 1949

Yup, we're definitely gonna need pics.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 07-05-2012, 05:45 AM   #3

Liked 769 Times on 445 Posts
Likes Given: 466

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgv_ar15 View Post
Brand new bush. never shot. Looks like the tube is just barley holding the buffer retainer. Would the factory do this. I'll try to post pic later, I'm on my Droid phone. What do yall think. Thanks.
The tube should capture the retainer pin just enough to keep it from popping out. If it appears loose then remove the stock, being careful not to lose the takedown pin spring and detent, and tighten the tube. You can use a wrench on the flat cutout if it is beyond hand tight.

To answer your question, yes the factory can do this. Bushmaster of late has lost the QC of the older Bushy's. Always give a new rifle a thorough going over to check parts installation, sight indexing, gas key staking, fit and finish. Also recommend a function test of all fire control and safety parts before any ammo goes into the chamber.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 07-05-2012, 06:11 AM   #4

The profile pic is the best I could do for now. What do yall think. Thanks

Old 07-05-2012, 06:20 AM   #5

Liked 1038 Times on 731 Posts
Likes Given: 1035

Can't be sure from your avatar. Almost can make it out and it looks all right but no way to be sure. We need a close up.

If it is a problem maybe you can get the receiver extension to turn another 360. Or call it time to buy a milspec receiver extension and hope it fits better. If the hole is drilled improperly in the receiver this isn't gonna be fun, maybe you could grind down the RE to get it to turn another 360 without binding on the retaining pin.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Quentin; 07-05-2012 at 06:26 AM.

Old 07-05-2012, 06:27 AM   #6

Liked 208 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Rgv to post in the thread using the app. , click new reply then attachments.

------------Space Not for Hire.-----------

Old 07-05-2012, 10:44 AM   #7

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Rvg. Push the detention down and take the buffer out and take a pic. If the tube is holding the detention down it will be fine. If the tube is in to far it may not be straight. It just needs to keep it from popping out by it self

Old 07-05-2012, 02:27 PM   #8

Liked 230 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 326

Bushmaster put a timing "lip" on their carbine buffer tubes http://www.bushmaster.com/products.asp?cat=13 to avoid the issue. As some folks have pointed out to me in the past, "out of the box" may not mean new, and the parts may not be all Bushmaster. If it didn't come in a hard plastic case, you might want to talk to your LGS. Not saying Bushmaster is the best in the Biz, just saying that something peculiar may have happened between the factory and you.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 07-05-2012, 04:13 PM   #9

finally got on a real computer, here is a better pic of what i have been talking about. looks like the tube is just holding the retainer by a corner. what do yall see. had to change color to get it to post, HD pic was to large for post. i think you can still see the tube just catching the retainer.

File Type: bmp ar15new.bmp (15.9 KB, 106 views)

Old 07-05-2012, 05:03 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 26

looks to me like the tube needs another full rotation to be in the right spot.
from what ive seen with bushmaster is the little nipple on the buffer retainer should fit in the groove shown on the tube. hope this helps

Philip D. Mincey
NRA Cert. Pistol instructor