Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > New build parts list

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2012, 11:12 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default New build parts list

Ok, I'm starting my first build and wanted to get your feedback on a few parts. I was wanting to go Vltor MUR upper on a Spikes or DD lower. Magpul UBR stock. YHM fluted barrel and YMH specter length diamond series hand guard. Geissele SSA-E trigger. Thoughts?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-20-2012, 01:58 AM   #2

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

First I gotta ask, wutcha gonna use it fo?

How far you gonna shoot it?

I see you choosing lotsa high end components, then I see YHM. The barrel and bolt are the most important part of ur build, why skimp with a middle of the road manufacturer?

Old 01-20-2012, 02:47 AM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
First I gotta ask, wutcha gonna use it fo?

How far you gonna shoot it?

I see you choosing lotsa high end components, then I see YHM. The barrel and bolt are the most important part of ur build, why skimp with a middle of the road manufacturer?

Preach on. That's a lot of quality to throw away on a YHM barrel.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 01-20-2012, 03:34 AM   #4

Thanks for the YHM comments. Glad I asked. I'd be using it for target shooting/home defense, but A couple cop buddies and I wanna take some classes like an exclusion to Thunder Ranch or Prairie Dog hunting to cap off other hunting trips, etc.

Old 01-20-2012, 03:55 AM   #5

Get a good barrel, prolly chrome lined for your intended use.

Figure out what kind of ammo you wanna defend the homestead with, and plan a twist rate accordingly.

Get a good bolt, and build it.

If you're gonna goto a carbine class, make sure you have adequately run enough rounds through it (1000+) and make sure you have spares for your bolt/extractor/firing pin etc. Hell if your gonna fly out for a carbine class, you may well need a backup gun, just in case.

YHM makes good stuff, for a good price. But from what I've seen, its middle of the road, not innovative, and they tend to be heavy. If you are taking a multiple day class, and doing hundreds of presentations, I would not want a 9# rifle. I'd much prefer a LW.

The UBR stock is one of the heaviest out there. Its really good for for balancing heavy front ends, like on suppressed rifles, but can be cumbersome. I know it looks really frikin cool (I want one) but I personally haven't found a use for one in my collection.

The SSA-E is a pretty light pull. Its not a combat trigger. Stick with a SSA or SDC or G2S (if you can find one) for home duty. BUT the SSA-E would made a fine varmiting trigger imo.

The only issue I see is that a HD/SD/SHTF build doesn't share too much with a Varmiting build. You could just have a more tactical upper for HD/SD, and then swap a longer, scoped varmiting upper, with a more suitable barrel, but you'd be stuck with a combat trigger or a target trigger. Well if you only plan on hit Pdogs under 200 yards, I think any decent AR will work fine. But if you're gonna try and hit a lil bugger at 300+ you need sub moa ammo and some glass.

Old 01-20-2012, 03:59 AM   #6

Great feedback, thank you!

Old 01-20-2012, 04:09 AM   #7

How are PSA's products?

Old 01-20-2012, 04:20 AM   #8

In a a word - good.

Old 01-20-2012, 04:23 AM   #9

I don't have any personal experience with them..... yet.

But they have all the right specs, for real good prices. Imo the best deal out there right now.