New build, mostly BCM
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > New build, mostly BCM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2012, 01:10 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1003 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

Default New build, mostly BCM

Well it's way past time to start a new build. Especially since I bought the stripped lower back in August!

And that lower is from Valkyrie Arms which I understand is made by JD Machine of San Diego. It looks good, is machined nicely and was worth the $100 at my LGS. I put in a Daniel Defense LPK and a BCM receiver extension kit with H buffer. The stock is an ACS I bought used for $75. It's been sitting around way, way too long all lonely by itself on the shelf!

From Wikipedia:
"Norse mythology, a valkyrie (from Old Norse valkyrja "chooser of the slain") is one of a host of female figures who decides who falls and dies in battle."

Valkyrie left

Valkyrie right

I'll put up a picture of the completed lower later.

Yesterday I ordered a BCM 16" LW midlength upper with BCG, Gunfighter 4 charging handle and MOE handguards. I have an MBUS Gen 2 for the BUIS. BCM just sent me an email that everything shipped but I haven't got a tracking number yet.

This AR will basically be a clone of my Daniel Defense build from the winter of 2010/11 but I'm so happy with that rifle it makes sense to have another. I also want to see first hand the difference between DD and BCM.

I was very tempted to try PSA but I know myself and later would beat myself up for not spending a little more for what I really wanted. My son-in-law will be building soon and probably will go PSA so we'll be able to compare anyway.

Anyway, more pics to follow!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Quentin; 05-04-2012 at 01:18 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-03-2012, 01:14 AM   #2

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin
Well it's way past time to start a new build. Especially since I bought the stripped lower back in August!

And that lower is from Valkyrie Arms which I understand is made by JD Machine of San Diego. It looks good, is machined nicely and was worth the $100 at my LGS. I put in a Daniel Defense LPK and a BCM receiver extension kit with H buffer. The stock is an ACS I bought used for $75. It's been sitting around way, way too long all lonely by itself on the shelf!

Valkyrie left

Valkyrie right

I'll put up a picture of the completed lower later.

Yesterday I ordered a BCM 16" LW midlength upper with BCG, Gunfighter 4 charging handle and MOE handguards. I have an MBUS Gen 2 for the BUIS. BCM just sent me an email that everything shipped but I haven't got a tracking number yet.

This AR will basically be a clone of my Daniel Defense build from the winter of 2010/11 but I'm so happy with that rifle it makes sense to have another. I also want to see first hand the difference between DD and BCM.

I was very tempted to try PSA but I know myself and later would beat myself up for not spending a little more for what I really wanted. My son-in-law will be building soon and probably will go PSA so we'll be able to compare anyway.

Anyway, more pics to follow!
Very cool, Quentin. One of the better looking rollmarks I've seen.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:18 AM   #3

Liked 77 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

That looks nice, Quentin. Mine is, as you know, a BCM/PSA hybrid, and it is a sweet set up. I think you'll be thrilled with the BCM. Did you get the BCM FA BCG?

What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?

Old 05-03-2012, 01:24 AM   #4

Thanks guys! I'm looking forward to getting it out to the range next weekend. I hope it'll work out as well as yours Ben. And yes, it's the BCM FA BCG. I was surprised that everything was in stock considering how tough that's been lately. And BCM got it shipped in less than a day after I placed the order.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:27 AM   #5

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Just put a few orders in myself last night!! Lol congrats!

Old 05-03-2012, 01:30 AM   #6

Liked 77 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Thanks guys! I'm looking forward to getting it out to the range next weekend. I hope it'll work out as well as yours Ben. And yes, it's the BCM FA BCG. I was surprised that everything was in stock considering how tough that's been lately. And BCM got it shipped in less than a day after I placed the order.

That is one thing about BCM that I really like. They ship quickly.

What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?

Old 05-03-2012, 01:54 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5671 Times on 2962 Posts
Likes Given: 375

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLuby View Post
That is one thing about BCM that I really like. They ship quickly.
im looking to get a 16 lightweight midlength in a few weeks. good to know there is little waiting.

very nice shooter there looking forward to the range report

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-03-2012, 02:59 AM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Welcome to the BCM family Quentin, you're gonna like the way she shoots i guarantee it

"If guns kill people then does that mean the spoon is the reason Rosie O'Donnell is fat"

"Guns don't kill people.......People kill people"

Quentin Likes This 
Old 05-03-2012, 05:53 AM   #9

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Ungh. Everyones getting new toys but me....... T_T

Old 05-03-2012, 06:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
Ungh. Everyones getting new toys but me....... T_T
Ah c'mon this is just my third AR. I'm a piker compared to some of you guys! Well I do have a Colt M4 .22lr so 3-1/2.

______