New build help - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > New build help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2013, 11:55 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Agreed that 3k is too much though.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:22 AM   #22

Liked 336 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

......honestly I have close to 3k on a couple of my builds, when alls said and done. Including optics and accessories T_T.

Hey Aimpoints ain't cheap.....

Old 04-15-2013, 12:24 AM   #23

Liked 1147 Times on 743 Posts
Likes Given: 2031

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemonkey150 View Post
PSA? ^ really? I feel like there's plenty of other manufactures that sell better quality products for very little more money.
Yes , PSA. Tell me whats wrong with a FN made hammer forged cl barrel or what makes anything else a better barrel for a gun / or a gun your going to run hard ? A mil spec forged alum lower is just that . There all the same just a different roll mark .
Fill me in Im all ears

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Last edited by purehavoc; 04-15-2013 at 12:30 AM.
Quentin Likes This 
Old 04-15-2013, 01:01 AM   #24
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 240 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake86 View Post
Another important question. What's your budget? This will help narrow down your options. I am building a 16" setup right now. It's a no expenses spared rifle that I am building to run hard. I anticipate about that I'll have well over $3000 into my build when it's all said and done.
$3K? I always build.. most i build with the best parts.. not the very very best of course.. costed me $2000. Not included optics though.
So with $3000 you must to have the very Best parts and at least a decent optic.

Last edited by okdonk; 04-15-2013 at 01:17 AM.

Old 04-15-2013, 01:45 AM   #25

Liked 58 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by okdonk View Post

$3K? I always build.. most i build with the best parts.. not the very very best of course.. costed me $2000. Not included optics though.
Time I throw an optic, and a few accessories on there $3000 is not unrealistic. Currently at the moment I have spent $300 for my Noveske stripped lower, $85 for my CMMG lpk, $180 for my Vltor I mod, That's $565 and I haven't even got into the upper receiver.

Could I build one cheaper? Hell yes I could! This is my first complete build, I vowed to spare no expense on this rifle. It's going to be special compared to all of my others. I am sure that dome of you understand that.

I understand everyone's needs and budget are different. However, I am not going rec commend the guy a $500 barrel if he is trying spend as least as possible, and just wants a plinker....

Old 04-15-2013, 02:36 AM   #26

Liked 1098 Times on 773 Posts
Likes Given: 1114

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
Yes , PSA. Tell me whats wrong with a FN made hammer forged cl barrel or what makes anything else a better barrel for a gun / or a gun your going to run hard ? A mil spec forged alum lower is just that . There all the same just a different roll mark .
Fill me in Im all ears
I agree, PSA gives you quite a lot for the money. I don't have any $3000 ARs but do have PSA, BCM and Daniel Defense. It's amazing what $300-400 less gives you if you choose PSA. I don't see how you're going to get PSA quality elsewhere for the same price. I'd drop a $700 Aimpoint on a $700 PSA with confidence.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.

purehavoc Likes This 
Old 04-15-2013, 04:33 AM   #27

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Is Dpms good? Can get a whole kit minus the lower for about $500-600

Old 04-15-2013, 04:20 PM   #28

We all have different definitions of run hard, When I think run hard , Im talking 1000-1500 rds a day , the gun getting banged around doing CQ drills and going thru the motions I put it thru . Personally the gun I am taking to this type of " RUN HARD class " will have a CLHF barrel with FSB , M4 hand guards, M4 stock or MOE stock , Hogue grip , Reworked Mil Spec single stage trigger , Troy BUIS , and a Aimpoint M4 and a 2 point sling , . This is a solid build that can be ran hard, take abuse I intend on giving it and I TRUST to make it all day without any issues . $200+ hand guards and $200 3# triggers are great and I own many of them , but not needed to " RUN HARD" and put it thru the paces as I would is what I use above . Now saying that I'm using a 11.5" barrel not a 16" but that's besides the point , a 16" barrel in that configuration would work just fine . Others describe "RUN HARD" as going to the range and putting 500 rds down range over the weekend from a bench . Its all how you look at how you intend on "running hard" . A good trustworthy rifle for running hard doesnt need to cost $3000 . Can it yes without a doubt , but Im not going to take one of my best looking rifles out and beat the sh!t out of it at a course weekend after weekend when I have guns built for that purpose . Just one more reason why most of us arent happy with just one black rifle

Quentin Likes This 
Old 04-15-2013, 04:34 PM   #29

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc

Fill me in Im all ears
Admittedly I haven't checked their website recently. The last time I was looking for lowers and uppers they were selling polymer.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:40 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemonkey150 View Post
Admittedly I haven't checked their website recently. The last time I was looking for lowers and uppers they were selling polymer.
Most of their stuff is back in stock , well was over the weekend , lowers seem to hit the page every couple days along with BCGs and alot of their uppers are back in stock . Just glad to start seeing stuff coming back in stock most every where . Its been a long 4 months of all this BS. Now its time for the ammo prices to drop and get back on the shelves ,