Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > New Build Disaster

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2011, 04:36 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default New Build Disaster

Well, I started building a new AR and I ran into a little hitch..well a big hitch. the dreaded x-wife monster struck again and I ran out of money halfway through. So I have a full assembled lower and no upper.

Should I sell it or hold onto it? I'm not sure when, definately not anytime soon probably, that i'll have enough to buy an upper and I feel like it's wasted money hanging around half done.

Is it worth selling half done even? It's a Spike's lower, standard parts kit, Magpul stuff - FDE (CTR stock, MIAD Grip, Trigger Guard), ambi sling, B.A.D. lever, and then an ATI Mil-spec buffertube.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-21-2011, 05:02 PM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalPrecision View Post
Well, I started building a new AR and I ran into a little hitch..well a big hitch. the dreaded x-wife monster struck again and I ran out of money halfway through. So I have a full assembled lower and no upper.

Should I sell it or hold onto it? I'm not sure when, definately not anytime soon probably, that i'll have enough to buy an upper and I feel like it's wasted money hanging around half done.

Is it worth selling half done even? It's a Spike's lower, standard parts kit, Magpul stuff - FDE (CTR stock, MIAD Grip, Trigger Guard), ambi sling, B.A.D. lever, and then an ATI Mil-spec buffertube.
Guess it would depend on how badly you need money. Private buyers are going to try and get it for dirt cheap and more than likely you will lose on it big time less you find an ar noob/fiend. Gun shop won't offer much for it either as they have to make a profit on it. Bottom line i'd hold on to it if i were in that situation just my .02. Good luck with your decision good sir

"If guns kill people then does that mean the spoon is the reason Rosie O'Donnell is fat"

"Guns don't kill people.......People kill people"

Old 09-21-2011, 05:18 PM   #3

Likes Given: 2

Keep it and buy parts as you can, I agree with ZK83.
Best of luck.

Old 09-21-2011, 05:28 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I was kinda thinkin it was gonna set me back more than it would help really. I'm not super in need of cash and definately not bad enough off to take a 50% loss on something

Old 09-21-2011, 05:53 PM   #5

Liked 972 Times on 683 Posts
Likes Given: 972

If you believe you'll do an AR build down the road I'd hang on to the lower. I agree that it's likely you'll lose money selling since you're not likely to find a buyer who wants exactly what you built and even if they do they expect a bargain.

You're 1/3 of the way to a complete rifle so hold on to what you've got!

ETA:
This is the perfect time to pour your heart and soul into researching uppers. And you never know, you may stumble across a bargain you can't refuse.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 09-21-2011, 06:43 PM   #6

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Hold on to it. This will give you plenty of time to figure out which way you want to go with it.

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
- Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJAMISON View Post
wow. i didn't finish. and i want that time i just wasted back. I was hoping for at least a pic of Bea Arthur in her undies .

Old 09-21-2011, 11:36 PM   #7

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

DEFINITELY, DEFINITELY, DEFINITELY hang on to it! u can always find and buy an affordable (or cheap), fully-assembled upper and 1. pull the 2 lower pins out, 2. align and insert upper into it's proper position, 3. push the 2 lower pins into the "locked" position.

voila.............you have a complete rifle! it may not be the "build" u wanted (for right now anywho), but u have a working rifle. you can @least shoot it, and you dint spend a heap of money.

when u find the extra $$$$, u can complete ur build.

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

Old 09-22-2011, 02:47 AM   #8

definitely keep it! you can always Johnny Cash ( i got it one piece at a time) an AR. your already several pieces ahead of a lot of people. that lower wont get moldy or rancid before you build or buy an upper. you will lose money selling your lower. and then where will you be moneywise and timewise?

Old 09-22-2011, 05:17 PM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I saw this as an opportunity to maybe get another lower but think you should keep it as long as it's not taking food out of the mouths of minors.

My kids mom is always bitching about being broke but always seems to afford the $90 haircut. The bad thing is I always give in and give her a little extra cash. I learned my lesson when she claimed I didn't pay child support for a couple months even though I gave it to her in cash. Kansas says those payments were a gift since it didn't go through the proper channels. I was a little pissed to say the least.

Moral of the story, always watch your back, leave a paper trail, save all correspondence and do not be nice because it won't help you in the long run.

Old 09-22-2011, 06:26 PM   #10

Liked 214 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 286

I agree with the rest of the posters; since you have the lower, hang on to it and buy the peices to the upper one at a time if you have to, or hold out until you see an upper at a good deal. Again, just my $.02.