New BCG - I need your knowledge?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > New BCG - I need your knowledge?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2013, 07:06 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 113 Times on 84 Posts

Default New BCG - I need your knowledge?

I am looking to purchase a new BCG

Have a few to choose from, but how much difference for me?

Before I tell you the BCG 's...

It's an Aero precision upper on a spikes lower. 5.56 NATO 16" Barrel
Semi-Auto only
I shoot in dusty desert environment and will shoot 800 rounds over a 4 day training period.

BCG choices:

Les Baer Custom Bolt Carrier Assembly Commercial AR-15 223 Remington Matte
(I don't know if this is also 5.56)

MIDWEST PX PREMIUM NIBX AR15/M4/M16

SBD Gear AR-15 .223/5.56

Rock River Arms

FailZero

KE Arms NATIONAL MATCH AR-15/M4 CHROME

Most of these fall into the same price range and some are VASTLY DIFFERENT in the type of steel and/or coating (ie: failzero & KE)

Should I buy one of these (which are available) hold out for a
WMD NIB-X in July, or buy a standard mil spec phosphate covered $139 BCG?

Your knowledge is what I seek, so please tell me why if you make a choice .

My thanks in advance,

Mud

Proud to have served
God Bless the USA
OMG (obummer must go)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-09-2013, 07:33 AM   #2

Liked 1070 Times on 753 Posts
Likes Given: 1075

None of those excite me. Everyone is different but I'd be looking at a phosphated, chrome lined M16 BCG comparable to BCM's. HP/MP Carpenter 158 steel bolt, proper extractor and gas key/screws, staked well. Look at their specs, pretty much the Holy Grail. PSA occasionally has something close in their $189 MPI M16 BCG.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 05-09-2013, 07:50 AM   #3

Liked 113 Times on 84 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin
None of those excite me. Everyone is different but I'd be looking at a phosphated, chrome lined M16 BCG comparable to BCM's. HP/MP Carpenter 158 steel bolt, proper extractor and gas key/screws, staked well. Look at their specs, pretty much the Holy Grail. PSA occasionally has something close in their $189 MPI M16 BCG.
Wow not even the Midwest PX excited you?
http://midwestpx.com/product_info.php?products_id=614

There I go thinking more money means better product..

How about the Red Barn Armory BCG
It fits the criteria you laid out
http://www.redbarnarmory.com/product-p/fa-bcgpc.htm

Thanks

Last edited by mudpupp; 05-09-2013 at 08:01 AM.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:26 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1262 Times on 709 Posts
Likes Given: 534

I have one of these, it is a great value and of high quality.

http://www.twsarms.com/product/ar-15-bolt-carrier-group-2/

Product Specifications
This bolt carrier group (BCG) includes a complete bolt assembly, firing pin, AR-15 bolt carrier and properly staked gas key. The carrier is chrome lined and has been MPI (Magnetic Particle Inspection) tested before leaving the factory to insure the highest product integrity and strength. All bolts are shot peened. The extractor includes an upgrade with the addition of a Viton O-Ring for enhanced performance and increased reliability. The BCG has been finished in a high quality MilSpec heavy duty phosphate for superior corrosion resistance.

Last edited by Gatoragn; 05-09-2013 at 11:28 AM.

Old 05-09-2013, 03:13 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6033 Times on 3163 Posts
Likes Given: 432

when you do go to your class its a good idea to take a spare bcg and spare trigger group parts (trigger, hammer, sear, pins, springs, selector) even if your running a bcm or colt bcg...

nothing worse than paying for travel food hotel class ammo and in the first 50 rounds something stupid snaps and you wasted your weekend time and money for want a small thing.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-09-2013, 04:16 PM   #6

Liked 1134 Times on 738 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Just another reason to take a spare rifle to such events .
I always take spare parts , but its nice to be able to just grab another gun and keep going and not stop the whole class. I have seen it to many times

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Last edited by purehavoc; 05-09-2013 at 04:27 PM.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:00 PM   #7

Actually that Red Barn BCG deviates from milspec quite a bit. AR-15 carrier and bolt not C158. 9310 may be ok but C158 is a sure thing. Nah, someone left the barn door open... Up to you.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:27 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 565 Times on 339 Posts
Likes Given: 235

What length gas system? If it's a carbine length gas system then I have heard it's best to use a M16 BCG because it has extra weight which helps slow down the cyclic rate a little and smooths out the action.

Just what I have heard

Practice doesn't make perfect, it make permanent.

When I hear a Liberal say "I can speak for gun owners because I own a shotgun" I just want to scream "Well I can speak for vegetarians because I like lettuce on my cheeseburger!"

Old 05-09-2013, 07:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa35jsf View Post
What length gas system? If it's a carbine length gas system then I have heard it's best to use a M16 BCG because it has extra weight which helps slow down the cyclic rate a little and smooths out the action.

Just what I have heard
Actually the M16 carrier isn't a bad idea in carbine, mid and rifle gas lengths. They do call it M16 after all!

That extra 1/2 ounce isn't likely to hurt cycling unless you go over an H buffer.

______

Old 05-09-2013, 08:54 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 269 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I would keep an eye out for a BCM or PSA. Both have been available online for $200 give or take in the last week. Four of my six builds have BCMs and I've got a couple more set aside for spares/future builds.

As far as premium finish BCGs, I really like the STS Arms Microslick/Cerakoted M16. That's what I have in my other two builds. It's slick as snot and they can be had online for right around $200 also. They look good too. Sort of a rich satin dark gray. I would say the BCM/PSA is a more of a tough as nails, to hell and back bolt. The STS is very good, very unlikely to fail, and a smooth operator...but I suspect the bolt may be a slightly lesser 8620 steel underneath the Cerakote. Still good, better than most will need, but not 'the standard' many seek in a patrol-type setup. But I do prefer them greatly to the squeaky and blingy NiB and PC (pimp chrome) options.