New barrel "break in", ideas? - Page 3

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > New barrel "break in", ideas?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2011, 09:09 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Okay then
Someone with a pump 35 Whelen....Like me

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Old 01-19-2011, 09:13 PM   #22

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

uh, well, uh.......

Old 01-19-2011, 09:30 PM   #23

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Break in varies for me depending on how the bore feels/how much fouling accumulates, but I usually do something like
one shot, cleaning with copper remover X 5
Fire 2 shots cleaning after X 2
Fire 3 shots cleaning after X 2
Then 5 shots clean and call it good.
20 rounds total and I sight in while I'm doing it.

I only had one rifle that I had to really work at it, and it was my Rem7600 35 Whelen.
Had a rough spot in the bore I could feel when patching. It would have a lot of fouling after even one shot.
Probably fired 20 single shots cleaning after each shot until I felt the rough spot clear up. It was a real PITA but now it will hold good groups for 40 rounds or more with minimal copper fouling.

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Old 01-20-2011, 02:24 AM   #24

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Default barrel break in

I'm glad I asked this question now, I've never thought alot about breaking in a barrel, there's been some really good information presented. Guess that's why i enjoy firearms so much, just when I think I know it all, I realize how little I do know and how readily, "knowledgeable" folks will take an opportunity to offer real help and facts. Thanks for the information Gatekeeper and others, it's been worth the reading and research. Since first asking, a friend has told me about a "Dewey" method. It requires running wet patches and brush after every shot. "Tom" says he does his competion rifles this way. when a win is a difference between an "X" and a "10", it's been worth the effort, he's been a state champion several times and has done very well at nat'l levels. If it's shoes, cars, even compostie aircraft parts, most stuff needs to be "used" a little to get the best out of it. sometimes if something isn't broke in, it breaks from being too stiff, right. Sometimes "sharp", newly machined metal parts, need to be smoothed just a hair. Thanks for replys.

Old 01-23-2011, 02:56 AM   #25

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Barrel Break In Ritual

If I remember correctly, any rifle with more power than a Daisy BB gun (remember those) is suppose to be broken in by firing one lead bullet at 2237.5 FPS, then one copper monolithic bullet at 2317.984 FPS, then the bore should be cleaned with a vanadium and brass brush and then swabbed 3 times with WWII rifle bore cleaner while facing Mecca, then repeated 27 times..........or you can clean the rifle after you finish enjoying it. Your choice.