New barrel "break in", ideas? - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > New barrel "break in", ideas?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2011, 01:36 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel_Slayer View Post
While I know Krieger is one of the most recognized leaders in barrel manufacturing, I just don't believe in having some crazy procedure for "breaking in" barrels.
I don't know if I "believe" in it. . ? But I DO know one thing. . . It can't hurt.

The worst outcome is that you wasted some precious range time and your buddies laugh at you.

Old 01-19-2011, 02:39 AM   #12

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

From a machining standpoint, I can come up with a reason or two if I try. When the barrel is brand new, there will be some burrs and sharp edges left from the manufacturing process, even more so on a mass-produced barrel compared to a custom grade barrel. As you shoot, you wear off those burrs and sharp edges meaning you will foul the barrel less the smoother it gets. So, if you clean frequently during the first shots, you should keep from building up copper when the barrel is at its roughest.

Like I said, if I try, I can make sense of it.

FWIW, I did break in the barrel on my LR308. It sure can't hurt and lots of experienced shooters swear by it.

All that being said, if the Colt has a chrome lined barrel, it's all out the window. There's no break in on a chrome lined or a nitrided barrel.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:11 PM   #13

Liked 21 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Since i have a new barrel also this thread got me to thinking. So i asked Spike's Tactical about how to break in my new barrel.

See question here

Even though they suggest shoot all the ammo you got then clean it... I'm probably going to do a few cleanings while at the range.

What's this about 'watching the crown' while cleaning?

- Gloves
"When the situation gets too hot, put Gloves on"
or
"If the gun is cold to the touch, put Gloves on" -RustyShackleford101

Old 01-19-2011, 05:12 PM   #14

Liked 1005 Times on 706 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

You need to be careful of the crown of a barrel when handling or cleaning. People who run the cleaning rod down the bore from the muzzle end run a greater risk of marring the crown which will adversely affect accuracy. Same thing if poor handling dings up the crown. Fortunately this is less likely if you have a flash hider/muzzle device.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:56 PM   #15
Is it Friday yet?
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I read an article some years ago about target shooters that would polish their new barrels before ever firing a round through it.

They would wrap a patch around a bronze brush and then apply either a lapping compound or rubbing compound to the patch.

The idea, as russ said, was to get rid of the machining burrs.

I’ve never done it myself, but it is one of those articles that I clipped and put in a folder somewhere for future reference.

Old 01-19-2011, 08:08 PM   #16

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
People who run the cleaning rod down the bore from the muzzle end
Who DOES that other than for a lever action or semi-auto?

Old 01-19-2011, 08:09 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggsbakes View Post
I don't know if I "believe" in it. . ? But I DO know one thing. . . It can't hurt.

The worst outcome is that you wasted some precious range time and your buddies laugh at you.
Well that's EXACTLY what I was thinking! Why take the chance?

Old 01-19-2011, 08:29 PM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Michalik View Post
I read an article some years ago about target shooters that would polish their new barrels before ever firing a round through it.

They would wrap a patch around a bronze brush and then apply either a lapping compound or rubbing compound to the patch.

The idea, as russ said, was to get rid of the machining burrs.

I’ve never done it myself, but it is one of those articles that I clipped and put in a folder somewhere for future reference.
I hhave read the same thing somewhere, and since read that it's a bad idea. Too corrosive a lapping compound and you can dull the edges of the rifling, making it less effective and essentially causing the bullet to skid across the rifling instead of rotate with it. Not sure if any of this is true or not, but something to ponder.

Old 01-19-2011, 08:40 PM   #19
Is it Friday yet?
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
Who DOES that other than for a lever action or semi-auto?
Someone with a pump 22, like me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel_Slayer View Post
I hhave read the same thing somewhere, and since read that it's a bad idea. Too corrosive a lapping compound and you can dull the edges of the rifling, making it less effective and essentially causing the bullet to skid across the rifling instead of rotate with it. Not sure if any of this is true or not, but something to ponder.
Well dangit. I guess I'll have to keep that in mind.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:02 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Michalik View Post
Someone with a pump 22, like me.

Then we get back into that discussion about whether or not you ever have to do anything to a rimfire bore other than just run a boresnake through it. So why go at it with a brush from the muzzle end?