Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > New barrel "break in", ideas?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2011, 12:54 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Default New barrel "break in", ideas?

Colt AR-15 Target Match, Mod. 6600, 1 n 7 twist, 20": shoot a bullet, run a bore snake, repeat 10, 20, 30x's, how many? Then shoot what, 2 or 3 then bore snake, repeat how much? I have time and patience, but, I don't like to waste time either, do any of 'yall really have a good knowledge on proper bore "breakn' n"? I thought about trying 'sanding bullets'. I dunno, seems if they messed it up, I'd get mad 'bout it. In past, my hunting rifles, I didn't shoot a hundred or so bullets getting it broke in, and they all shoot straight as a taunt string, with a slight upper word curve back to zero,. Thanks folks for thoughts.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-18-2011, 01:04 AM   #2

Liked 924 Times on 651 Posts
Likes Given: 899

There's a lot of voodoo about breaking in a target barrel and no one knows for sure if it matters one iota. I once read through the shoot 1, clean, shoot 1 again, clean ... repeat twenty times technique and seriously doubt I'd ever bother with it.

Everybody seems to have their own favorite break in procedure and personally I'd just go shooting like I would with any 1-2 MOA barrel. Do an initial cleaning then shoot.

Hopefully someone who's really up on this can shed some light because I honestly don't know.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:56 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5118 Times on 2664 Posts
Likes Given: 310

personally dont see how it could possibly making any difference between just giving it a good cleaning then shooting and doing some ritual with cleaning rods full moons lucky charms and round counts.

my remington 700 xcr i ran like 200 rounds of crappy machine gun 147 grn surplus out of it right out of the box after a barrel swabbing to remove dust and old packing oil. it shoots somewhere between .5 and.35 inch groups at 100 yards with 168grn bthp. the better i do my part the better the gun shoots.

break in rituals in my opinion is just BS.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-18-2011, 06:03 AM   #4

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

I've heard this recently as well, especially when I was looking into AR-10's, but the article seemed to suggest that it was more important with .30 caliber barrels, as opposed to .223. . .?

If it does make a difference, then what does that say about the barrel? I've never done this to ANY of my guns. . . but I will ask the barrel company if they recommend a break in procedure when I send my upper off next week.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:05 AM   #5

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Default barrell break in

This Colt isn't any where near my first firearm, been shooting 45years plus. And I'm not saying I'll do any "rituals", lucky charms, etc, to break in, I don't get those, must be attempt at humor. Anyhow, I just presented what I thought to be a reasonable question, one I don't have any answer for, to seek information. Thanks to all who reply, .

Old 01-18-2011, 12:10 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5118 Times on 2664 Posts
Likes Given: 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul View Post
This Colt isn't any where near my first firearm, been shooting 45years plus. And I'm not saying I'll do any "rituals", lucky charms, etc, to break in, I don't get those, must be attempt at humor. Anyhow, I just presented what I thought to be a reasonable question, one I don't have any answer for, to seek information. Thanks to all who reply, .
Some of us are being silly because there is no real reason for such procedures other than superstition

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-18-2011, 06:53 PM   #7

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Some of us are being silly because there is no real reason for such procedures other than superstition
While I do see it as a silly procedure, it is far more than superstition. Here's a link to one Company that offers some of the highest quality barrels on the market. They definitely don't believe it to be superstitious and offer an explanation of why. . .

Here it is:

Break-In & Cleaning

Old 01-18-2011, 11:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggsbakes View Post
While I do see it as a silly procedure, it is far more than superstition. Here's a link to one Company that offers some of the highest quality barrels on the market. They definitely don't believe it to be superstitious and offer an explanation of why. . .

Here it is:

Break-In & Cleaning
Great article! Thanks~

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -Thomas Jefferson, Proposed Virginia Constitution, 1776, Jefferson Papers 344

Old 01-18-2011, 11:30 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

While I know Krieger is one of the most recognized leaders in barrel manufacturing, I just don't believe in having some crazy procedure for "breaking in" barrels. I just shoot em, and clean them like normal for a hundred rounds or so, and then start working on my load work up.

Old 01-19-2011, 12:02 AM   #10

I used a box of Tubbs fire lapping cartriges in my Rem SPS 700 .308. All it did was smooth out the bore and it shot much better afterwards. Just sayin.