new barrel accuracy
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

new barrel accuracy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2014, 01:06 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

Default new barrel accuracy

I am trying to squeeze the most accuracy i can from my windham mforgery. I have replaced the trigger with an SSA-E, and free floated the chrome lined barrel. With hand loads (22.5 grains benchmark and hornady 55 grain soft points) the best I can get is about 1 moa, and I average 1.5 moa. I am thinking of replacing the barrel with an 18" stainless RRA. If I were to spend the $300 on a new barrel, how much of an improvement would I get?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-15-2014, 01:15 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6823 Times on 3626 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Most 55, well all 55 grain bullets are pretty crappy. Try loading with 69 or 75 grain sierra matchkings. Most of my rifles really like the 69grain smk.

The reason 55's are pretty crappy is they are made cheaply and the jackets are far far far from uniform in thickness. If your getting 1-1.5 with 55's you prolly already have a decent barrel. You just need higher quality bullets
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Last edited by JonM; 01-15-2014 at 01:19 AM.

Old 01-15-2014, 02:07 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 990 Times on 653 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

What's your barrel twist rate?

Become steel or get cut.

Old 01-15-2014, 02:46 AM   #4

Liked 2512 Times on 1477 Posts
Likes Given: 577

Have you tried adjusting powder charge slightly? How meticulous are the handloads? Are all the cases trimmed weighed and sorted by brand and weight. Do you hand trickle the powder for the last grain + of powder charge weight? Do you sort your projectiles by weight? What kind of crimp are you using? What kind of sights?

It can get really nit picky if you are trying to wring the absolute best accuracy out of a barrel.

That being said, the RRA match barrels I've shot and seen better shooters than me shoot, are definitely capable of sub MOA groups with the right factory loads or right, and carefully prepared handloads.

Old 01-15-2014, 03:36 AM   #5

Liked 65 Times on 53 Posts

Twist rate and chrome lining are two big factors on accuracy. Chrome lining is great for maintenance and barrel life, but not accuracy.

55 gr bullets seem to really like the 1x9 twist rate. If your barrel is 1x7, it will favor the 68-75 gr bullets. The most accurate 55g load I've found for my 1x7 chrome lined is 55g vmax with 24.7gr H335 and magnum primer.(be sure to start low and work up) that said, 75 gr bullets have been the most accurate.

I do believe the RRA 18" barrel will make a noticeable improvement over a chrome lined barrel. You'll get more velocity(shoot flatter) and the 1x8 twist will handle a wide variety of bullet weights well. You will be giving up maneuverability though as your gun will be much more front heavy.
Steel_Talon Likes This