Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > New to AR's want to purchase, need help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2011, 07:34 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastmaninstructor View Post
If you,ve never done it.......IGNORE THE SELF BUILD advice!!!! If you don't have the tools of an armorer, your Sears tool kit won't work, also chamber/headspace/ gas system quirks/springs/triggers/bolt/carrier tolerances ad nauseum...cheaper to buy a good one than build yourself a problem....don't be your own doctor ESPECIALLY WITH AN AR/M-4....talk about Pandora's box....just ask any AR (real)gunsmith
"A fool and his money are soon parted."
Do tell? What specialized tools does one need to assemble a lower? Because I only have about 2 dozen students here on FTF that have done it themselves without buying $600 worth of "special tools".

Headspace? Easily checked by a "master gunsmith" for $20-$35, depending on their arrogance level. The barrel comes pre-set for headspace and it sits on a shoulder in the receiver, which is the exact design that Remington used when they re-did their barrel changeable sniper system in the field.

The AR platform isn't some grand mystery that is only spoke of by Grand Masters behind secret doors.

Old 06-12-2011, 07:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Don't really care what your eyesight is. The distance of 200 yards off a carry handle is unrealistic and if YOU are an AR builder you'd know that. Camp Perry is a whole different ballistic set up as are the "service" rifles but that wasn't the question...your cutting insight as a "builder" would be best aimed at the content of the answer....BUT ....your opinion?...mine?...well ya know what they say about opinions...I answered to his question not yours sorry..."A fool and his money (not yours) are soon parted". Thanks for the armchair.....expert
Says the guy who didn't even read the initial post. He asked about using a scope off the carry handle. He was wondering if it was too high for a good cheek weld, but he didn't know the terminology. No harm there.

What does Camp Perry have to do with anything?

He is brand new to the platform and had legitimate questions. Legitimate BEGINNER questions, as we all did at one point.

Well, except for you apparently.

Old 06-12-2011, 07:46 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

First off welcome th the forum Dallee, You will have no regrets building one. As everybody has already stated, you can build a much better gun for the money you are looking to spend.

First thing to do is figure out what you want for an end product, cruise through the AR picture thread and you will see many builds by people that were once in you shoes. There are soo many variations of the platform and it can get confusing.

As your first build, assemble your lower and buy a complete upper. The lower reciever is very easy to assemble with a hammer, punch and few other common tools. Like JD said there is a ton of great info in the stickies in the top of this section. Read all of them and fire away with the questions.

There are some companies that sell a rifle kit like Del-ton, you supply the stripped lower and all you need to build is in the kit. That would be a great entry level carbine and you can have a great rifle for under $600. The upper comes all preassembled and test fired so you dont have to worry about headspace or any other upper assembly hick-ups.

Don't let people steer you away, its a great way to get to know the platform and you will have huge appreciation for a weapon you assembled yourself. Its a great feeling. I started in you shoes and now have 5 1/2 builds done and love everyone of em

Last edited by ktmboyz; 06-12-2011 at 07:59 PM. Reason: sp

Old 06-12-2011, 07:57 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
"Do Tell"...how abot a reciever (hold) fixture/rifle vice/ good firearm/bore light/gun pin punches/spring retention for those pesky flyers, files....?? never mind AR tool. forend tool, barrel vice ,headspace (chambers) guages, dremel.various gas tubes for fitting....ad nauseum...Yes if he's (or you) really reading this and wants to get in the "AR field" it is far more intelligent (and cheaper in the long run) to "BUY" from established makers...The guy's new remember?...I first carried a "Colt Commando and XM177" way back so although NOT a "builder" or an "expert" by any stretch? I do have cosiderable time in grade ( Military,LE Instructor and civilian Instructor since 1974) with this system,,and more important? A wise old Sergeant Major once told me "If you argue with fools..people might not be able to tell the difference..." so sorry..please spare me Thanks last offering unless.... let's just hold our own..
Have you even read the OP's post ?? yes to build a rifle form the ground up you might need some very specific tools, or you can do it with some very common basic tools ( yes I have done it )
You have been here for a few days and had not one worthy post and done nothing buy spew B.S. at a very helpful and skilled regular mod of the forum, who has helped many members from start to finish on their first build.
You shold back up a little and read the whole thread and see what a DB you really sound like with a whopping 13 posts.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:03 PM   #15

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
If you,ve never done it.......IGNORE THE SELF BUILD advice!!!! If you don't have the tools of an armorer, your Sears tool kit won't work, also chamber/headspace/ gas system quirks/springs/triggers/bolt/carrier tolerances ad nauseum...cheaper to buy a good one than build yourself a problem....don't be your own doctor ESPECIALLY WITH AN AR/M-4....talk about Pandora's box....just ask any AR (real)gunsmith
"A fool and his money are soon parted."
Quote:
Don't really care what your eyesight is. The distance of 200 yards off a carry handle is unrealistic and if YOU are an AR builder you'd know that. Camp Perry is a whole different ballistic set up as are the "service" rifles but that wasn't the question...your cutting insight as a "builder" would be best aimed at the content of the answer....BUT ....your opinion?...mine?...well ya know what they say about opinions...I answered to his question not yours sorry..."A fool and his money (not yours) are soon parted". Thanks for the armchair.....expert
Wow, just wow!

I guess all of us members screwed up building our ARs. (Even those of us that bought complete uppers.)

And here I was so happy with my build including the knowledge of putting the parts together, the sense of accomplishment, and the self confidence I have in my weapon not to mention all the help I received from the more knowledgeable members.

What a jerk I am! I thought I trusted you guys but again I've been fooled by all you "armchair.....expert"s! (sic)

signed,

a fool in search of his money

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 06-12-2011, 08:12 PM   #16

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Anyone can build an AR-15 with just a few special tools. Heck you can make a block to hold the lower if you want out of some cheap poplar from Home Depot I know I did. Works just fine for lubing the lower and other minor stuff.

The only two Tools that I can see anyone needing is a vice block for the upper $35 and a Armour wrench $35. Everything else you should have in your tool box if you with on firearms or cars. Shoot I don't work on cars much and I have just about everything I need and then some for building an AR.

Plus you forget everything the military does is geared towards someone with a 6th grade reading level. Unit Armour's are not always the brightest bulb on the tree. Believe me I went through the US Army Unit Armour course at Fort Hood in 1998. I passed with a 100%. I was beating guys on weapons they used every day and I had never seen like the M240. Up until them I had never seen one I had it apart and back together before any grunts had it apart.

Like JD said it is not some cult of all knowing AR-15 gods that put these things together.

I have not built mine I bought mine. For what I wanted it was cheaper to go the purchase route.

My next one is going to get built by me from the ground up.

If you want to purchase Give http://www.ar15sales.com/ a call and see what he has.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:16 PM   #17

Quote:
your cutting insight as a "builder" would be best aimed at the content of the answer....BUT ....your opinion?...mine?...well ya know what they say about opinions...I answered to his question not yours sorry..."A fool and his money (not yours) are soon parted". Thanks for the armchair.....expert

Quote:
A wise old Sergeant Major once told me "If you argue with fools..people might not be able to tell the difference..." so sorry..please spare me Thanks last offering unless.... let's just hold our own..

Excellent information right there.

You are everything that is wrong with the internet Mr. Trainer, Sir.

You think that by hoarding some precious little secret that you will somehow remain relevant in a world that is quickly passing you by thanks to the Internet. Sorry but the days of keeping people in the dark, telling them stories about how attempting to do something so crazy as build your own AR would leave you dead in a ditch the moment you needed it are LONG gone.

Building a lower receiver is a piece of cake. Of course you would like everyone to believe you have to be a SeAL/Delta/Spec Ops member grade armorer to pull it off, otherwise there would be no aftermarket parts available. Oh wait.....

Hundreds of dollars in specialized tools, hundreds of hours spent being trained by only the best "certified" armorer to even THINK of picking up a stripped receiver and putting in a few springs, a couple of detents and GOD FORBID a trigger assembly.

Oh, sooooo scary.

Perhaps you should run back over to your other pretentious forums like AR15-we-are-so-great-dot-com or the-less-than-high-road-dot-com and hang out with the rest of the like minded folks who want to hang on to their precious little titles like “trainer” or “instructor” and believe they are still relevant in this day and age.

In the meantime, we at FTF will continue to advise new members and help them understand a platform that the Grand Masters like yourself want to have shrouded in mystery.

The glaring difference between us is that I earned my stripes live and in color, in public on this forum, helping people go from zero to full blown gun while all you can do is talk sh*t and pretend to be important to a world that no longer cares.

Fact time sport:

Eugene Stoner was a man who put his pants on one leg at a time like the rest of us mere mortals.

His design was SUPPOSED to be easy to work on;

It had to go to the field with common, ground pounding troops.

The kind of guys who didn't have a ton of specialized tools to pack into the jungle; but still be reliable enough to function when the trigger was pulled. You remember them when you are posting things like “don’t do it yourself” right?

A “common man’s” weapon if you please.

Since none of us here had Crowns upon our brow, until June of 2011 when you enlightened us with your presence that is, we had to just get by with our own two hands. SOMETIMES we even built weapons ourselves and field tested them. Amazingly without killing ourselves in the process.

Simply unbelievable really.

Bottom line is that you will NEVER be relevant here because you lack the FTF spirit. The willingness to reach out, the willingness to help those who didn’t have the same background as yourself, those who genuinely want to learn, but don’t know where to start. Instead you want to recommend against someone learning a fine platform from the inner workings in some VAIN attempt to bluster your own image.

Good on you hero. A fine example of higher learning through age and wisdom.

But keep up the whole “quoting of other people’s statements” thing. That is really the way to expose people who don’t know you from Adam to the real genius that lies behind your keyboard.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:24 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

And to the OP Dallee,, please excuse all the back and forth BS. .This is not what FTF is about. Most of us are here to help in anyway we can, but everyone has opinions and are free to share them.

You will notice there are quite a few members here with the FTF AR Builder logo on their profile. Are we experts or gunsmiths NO WAY!! That means we have started in your shoes and decided to build a rifle and have posted a thread of the build along the way with a range report. In doing so we have gained experience of the platform along the way and have done lots of research and shopping along the way. That also does not mean that people on here without the logo have no idea what they are saying, you have to sort through the BS on your own and ask Q's as you need.

Good luck in what ever you decide to do, be it buying a NIB gun and being very happy with it or building a rifle you can call your own and be very proud knowing you gained priceless knowledge of during your quest.

I am sure you will love your gun no matter what way you go, they are blast to shoot and maintain.

Welcome to the forum and hope to see you stick around on the best firearm forum and brotherhood on the internet.

Last edited by ktmboyz; 06-12-2011 at 10:26 PM.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:39 PM   #19

Bye. Have fun at the range. Sunday afternoon training class with you as the guy in charge sounds like a great way to while away the afternoon taking notes on what it was like back in the day. History has always been a favorite of mine.

Why do you hate computers so much? I have a pretty good idea.

JD

Old 06-12-2011, 09:47 PM   #20

So anyways..... Back on topic.

We have a bunch of members here that started the way you did dallee. They liked the idea of an AR and didn't know what to do.

Buy? What is a good model?

Build? Can I do that?

There are 2 dozen forums out there and they ALL have something different to say. How can any one person I have never met possibly know me, my situation and what's best for me?!?!

You're right. We don't know your specific situation. We don't know if you can change your own oil or install your own software on your computer.

Point taken.

But if you read through a ton of threads in this very section, you will see HUNDREDS of posts from years of experience from members that have been there and done that.

People just like you, started right where you are now, and they made it work.

Now, if you want a real world experience rush, I am going to PM a friend of mine and have him stop by with a little bit of info from the "real world".

JD