New AR's in the mail - Page 2


Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > New AR's in the mail

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2012, 03:14 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Poltax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Utah
Posts: 17
Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Default

So here are some pics of the uppers, BCG & Charging Handles

006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg


I will double check to make sure the O ring is installed. Thanks.

As I stated above, I mated these up with my Superior lowers that I am using with my Stag uppers. They fit very nice. I also have 2 LAR Grizzley lowers just sitting in the safe. Did not get a chance to mate those up last night. I like the Superior lowers because they have the screw adjustment to tighten up the trigger so there is no slack.



__________________

Live each day as though a fire is raging in your hair!

Poltax is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:52 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Quentin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Idaho
Posts: 6,548
Liked 1004 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

Default

The O rings are there just in case you have extraction problems which could happen if the BCG went in an oddball upper. I wouldn't use them in a BCM midlength, though there are disagreements here. There's a reason BCM and DD don't install them in the first place - and just leave them off to the side as yours were.

Now if down the road your extractor spring gets weak, the O ring can be used as a bandaid to get you up and running again until you replace the spring and insert.



__________________

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.
________________________________________
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Quentin is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 03:27 PM   #13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 416
Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin
The O rings are there just in case you have extraction problems which could happen if the BCG went in an oddball upper. I wouldn't use them in a BCM midlength, though there are disagreements here. There's a reason BCM and DD don't install them in the first place - and just leave them off to the side as yours were.

Now if down the road your extractor spring gets weak, the O ring can be used as a bandaid to get you up and running again until you replace the spring and insert.
My DD complete upper came with the o ring installed. My bcm bcg that I ordered did not. I'm thinking about just calling and asking if they're needed or not.
__________________
broke-again124 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 04:20 PM   #14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,427
Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by broke-again124

My DD complete upper came with the o ring installed. My bcm bcg that I ordered did not. I'm thinking about just calling and asking if they're needed or not.
Q already answered that question for you. They say not to use it.
__________________
MikeJK is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:00 PM   #15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 416
Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJK

Q already answered that question for you. They say not to use it.
So is it just to add tension to the extractor or what? I mean they put them in there for some reason right?
__________________
broke-again124 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:14 PM   #16
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,427
Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default

You are correct.

__________________
MikeJK is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:10 PM   #17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Poltax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Utah
Posts: 17
Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Default

I am in need of some help in obtaining buffer tubes. BCM is out, and has been for the last 2 weeks since I have been looking for parts. I have looked at Brownells & Midway. I just want to make sure I am getting a quality product. I want the Mil-Spec version. Are the DPMS brand good. Any suggestions would be a big help. My finger is itching to get these all together.

__________________

Live each day as though a fire is raging in your hair!

Poltax is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:12 PM   #18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Poltax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Utah
Posts: 17
Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Double posted. What a geek.......not a computer geek that is.

__________________

Live each day as though a fire is raging in your hair!

Poltax is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:41 PM   #19
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Quentin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Idaho
Posts: 6,548
Liked 1004 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by broke-again124 View Post
So is it just to add tension to the extractor or what? I mean they put them in there for some reason right?
Tell us more about the DD upper... SBR? Carbine length gas? You need to fill in the blanks. Normally the o ring isn't used, especially for midlength and rifle gas, you can if you want.
__________________

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.
________________________________________
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Quentin is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:44 PM   #20
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Quentin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Idaho
Posts: 6,548
Liked 1004 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltax View Post
I am in need of some help in obtaining buffer tubes. BCM is out, and has been for the last 2 weeks since I have been looking for parts. I have looked at Brownells & Midway. I just want to make sure I am getting a quality product. I want the Mil-Spec version. Are the DPMS brand good. Any suggestions would be a big help. My finger is itching to get these all together.
DPMS normally isn't mil spec diameter. Have you tried PSA?


__________________

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.
________________________________________
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Quentin is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Kit AR's? Sickofnotliving AR-15 Discussion 35 04-05-2012 03:18 AM
All about AR's kvega15 AR-15 Discussion 6 01-20-2012 06:43 AM
POF - AR's Yunus AR-15 Discussion 5 10-05-2009 08:47 PM
V Mail Righteous The Club House 5 03-12-2008 02:08 AM