New AR's in the mail

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > New AR's in the mail

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2012, 09:18 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Default New AR's in the mail

Well, I finally signed up to post on this site. I have been reading threads for the last year or so. I already have 2 16" Stags, which by the way have served my wife & I very well. We have taken them to a couple of AR courses and they have run flawlessly.

I have had the bug to do a couple of more AR's. So I followed the lead of some of you. I have 2 BCM mid length light weight 16" uppers on the way and in the mail. Also, 2 BCM BCG Auto version. Magpul furniture to be attached. Lowers will be Superior or Grizzly sitting in the safe.

So I am looking forward to what these 2 new AR's will be like. My wife was pretty excited when she found out they would weigh a bit less then the Stags we already have.

By the way, my home town area is the same as the Q-man. My folks live in Meridian. We however are based in UT, but my job gets me back to ID all the time.

Live each day as though a fire is raging in your hair!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-08-2012, 09:30 PM   #2

Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

How is that going to fit in your mail box lol jk. Congrats on your new toys. And welcome to our community.

Old 06-08-2012, 09:43 PM   #3

Liked 1003 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1003

Sounds good, Poltax. All we need now are pictures and range reports! And of course you've got to get your folks building something too.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:24 PM   #4

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Ask JonM about one of those puppy paw handguards......your wife might like em!

If you have a bit of extra funds, I'd recommend trying out a light weight 12" handguard for taking courses with. It really helps you control the muzzle when you get your support hand out by the muzzle. Magpul funiture is a great looking and ergonomic and a cost effective option, but by no means would I consider it a lw option.

Old 06-09-2012, 03:06 AM   #5

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Good news. Look forward to seeing them pinned to those lowers.

Old 06-10-2012, 02:13 AM   #6

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Returned home today and there was a package on the door step. Was not what I was looking for. I did get the MOE handguards, firing pins, LPK's. Hopefully the uppers will show up on Monday.

AgentTikki....what brand of light weight plastic do you recommend?

I googled the puppy handguards. She might like those. What she really wants is an AR in Red, White & Blue colors. I have not seen any plastic in those colors anywhere. If someone has a lead on that let me know. I guess I could work up a color scheme and paint it myself. Not really sure how long the paint job would actually last.

Old 06-13-2012, 03:56 AM   #7

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Happy day, uppers, BCG's, delivered today. I put the hand guards on the uppers. I am still waiting to decide on the stocks. CTR or the STR. I did install the uppers on my current Superior lowers. They fit like a glove.

When I opened up the BCG's, I noticed that there was an O ring in the package. Is this an extra or do I need to install it.

BCM is great, they sent 2 sets of 2 DV'Ds, 2 hats, 2 sets of posters, & tons of stickers. I have never seen that from any company I have ever ordered from before. Kudo's out to BCM for quick shipping and the swag. Just ordering 2 uppers, I cant imagine what you might get if you ordered half a dozen.

Old 06-13-2012, 05:58 AM   #8

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

The O-ring is likely a spare for the one under the extractor spring.

I recommend the Midwest SS Gen 2 handguards, Samson Evo handguards or Troy Vtac Alpha handguards all are lightweight and sturdy.

If you go for a quad rail, I know LaRue makes index clips that come in red, white and blue.

The STR or the ACS-L are both what I'd be looking at.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:12 PM   #9

Liked 1003 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1003

My BCM (and Daniel Defense) BCGs did not have an O ring installed, my ArmaLite did but I removed it. I follow BCM and DD's lead and don't use them, just keep for a spare.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:33 PM   #10

Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts

Just to let you know I just received two bcm bcg and they came with the o ring in the package as well. Upon breakdown inspection, neither had the o rings installed. So you probably should check because you probably don't have them.