Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   New AR's in the mail (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/new-ars-mail-66076/)

Poltax 06-08-2012 09:18 PM

New AR's in the mail

Well, I finally signed up to post on this site. I have been reading threads for the last year or so. I already have 2 16" Stags, which by the way have served my wife & I very well. We have taken them to a couple of AR courses and they have run flawlessly.

I have had the bug to do a couple of more AR's. So I followed the lead of some of you. I have 2 BCM mid length light weight 16" uppers on the way and in the mail. Also, 2 BCM BCG Auto version. Magpul furniture to be attached. Lowers will be Superior or Grizzly sitting in the safe.

So I am looking forward to what these 2 new AR's will be like. My wife was pretty excited when she found out they would weigh a bit less then the Stags we already have.

By the way, my home town area is the same as the Q-man. My folks live in Meridian. We however are based in UT, but my job gets me back to ID all the time.

lbwar15 06-08-2012 09:30 PM

How is that going to fit in your mail box lol jk. Congrats on your new toys. And welcome to our community.

Quentin 06-08-2012 09:43 PM

Sounds good, Poltax. All we need now are pictures and range reports! And of course you've got to get your folks building something too. :D

AgentTikki 06-08-2012 10:24 PM

Ask JonM about one of those puppy paw handguards......your wife might like em!

If you have a bit of extra funds, I'd recommend trying out a light weight 12" handguard for taking courses with. It really helps you control the muzzle when you get your support hand out by the muzzle. Magpul funiture is a great looking and ergonomic and a cost effective option, but by no means would I consider it a lw option.

MikeJK 06-09-2012 03:06 AM

Good news. Look forward to seeing them pinned to those lowers.

Poltax 06-10-2012 02:13 AM

Returned home today and there was a package on the door step. Was not what I was looking for. I did get the MOE handguards, firing pins, LPK's. Hopefully the uppers will show up on Monday.

AgentTikki....what brand of light weight plastic do you recommend?

I googled the puppy handguards. She might like those. What she really wants is an AR in Red, White & Blue colors. I have not seen any plastic in those colors anywhere. If someone has a lead on that let me know. I guess I could work up a color scheme and paint it myself. Not really sure how long the paint job would actually last.

Poltax 06-13-2012 03:56 AM

Happy day, uppers, BCG's, delivered today. I put the hand guards on the uppers. I am still waiting to decide on the stocks. CTR or the STR. I did install the uppers on my current Superior lowers. They fit like a glove.

When I opened up the BCG's, I noticed that there was an O ring in the package. Is this an extra or do I need to install it.

BCM is great, they sent 2 sets of 2 DV'Ds, 2 hats, 2 sets of posters, & tons of stickers. I have never seen that from any company I have ever ordered from before. Kudo's out to BCM for quick shipping and the swag. Just ordering 2 uppers, I cant imagine what you might get if you ordered half a dozen.

AgentTikki 06-13-2012 05:58 AM

The O-ring is likely a spare for the one under the extractor spring.

I recommend the Midwest SS Gen 2 handguards, Samson Evo handguards or Troy Vtac Alpha handguards all are lightweight and sturdy.

If you go for a quad rail, I know LaRue makes index clips that come in red, white and blue.

The STR or the ACS-L are both what I'd be looking at.

Quentin 06-13-2012 02:12 PM

My BCM (and Daniel Defense) BCGs did not have an O ring installed, my ArmaLite did but I removed it. I follow BCM and DD's lead and don't use them, just keep for a spare.

broke-again124 06-13-2012 02:33 PM

Just to let you know I just received two bcm bcg and they came with the o ring in the package as well. Upon breakdown inspection, neither had the o rings installed. So you probably should check because you probably don't have them.