Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > New to AR's and looking for help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2012, 08:03 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default New to AR's and looking for help

I have been looking at AR's and am ready to make a purchase. It seems like the sky's the limit when it comes to options and costs...so my question is this...is it better to get a DPMS or Windham an add the upgrades (free floating rail, better trigger, charging handle, etc) or spend the extra to get a Daniels or LWRC that would require less up front (or long term) to make the mods to get it the way I want it? I am looking for quality and dependability, without breaking the bank long term.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-29-2012, 08:10 PM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Not an AR expert. The windham supposedly has a lifetime warranty. They usually run around $900. You know what you want to do to it so add up the prices for parts and compare to your other options.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 07-29-2012, 08:12 PM   #3

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I was in the same situation and I decided on after reading a bunch on it to build my own. I have never built a firearm I have just modded them. After seeing that it is not that hard I built it my way. I finished it off cheap just due to my surgery but the only thing I went cheap on was the furniture. So it will get replaced after I heal.

Old 07-29-2012, 08:28 PM   #4

Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin534
I have been looking at AR's and am ready to make a purchase. It seems like the sky's the limit when it comes to options and costs...so my question is this...is it better to get a DPMS or Windham an add the upgrades (free floating rail, better trigger, charging handle, etc) or spend the extra to get a Daniels or LWRC that would require less up front (or long term) to make the mods to get it the way I want it? I am looking for quality and dependability, without breaking the bank long term.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Look into palmetto state armory. That is the lowest I would go and still trust the weapon for reliability. Don't buy something just because it's cheap and a so called "bargain". Buy cheap and you'll buy twice. If the windham is already gonna cost around 1000 why not get a BCM or Daniel Defense? Something with a VERY good track record and awesome warranties and customer service. Mil spec is important. Don't go commercial.