New to ARs. - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

New to ARs.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2012, 09:48 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 69 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 117

Wow!

That's an expensive rear sight. Seems the carry handle saves you $500. I'm going to start searching and comparing.

Old 11-08-2012, 12:17 AM   #12

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

I second the M &P. I have a colt , DPMS, delton,and a M&P My S&W is my favorite especially for the $

Old 11-08-2012, 06:31 PM   #13

Here's another question.... What length is considered a "carbine" length AR?

Old 11-08-2012, 06:45 PM   #14

Liked 258 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by polygon
here's another question.... What length is considered a "carbine" length ar?
16" & 14.5"
Old 11-09-2012, 01:39 AM   #15
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 51 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polygon
Here's another question.... What length is considered a "carbine" length AR?
Carbine length is 7" to the gas port
Mid length is 9"
Rifle length is 12"

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
dog2000tj Likes This 
Old 11-10-2012, 03:09 AM   #16

nice choices all of the above but I like my colt HB AR and my Bushmaster AR too/ Shot my last deer with the Colt..

Old 11-10-2012, 04:11 PM   #17

Well, I ended up buying the Rock River Arms Elite Operator 2. I didn't really feel I had time to really research the others since it seemed like ARs are drying up everywhere for obvious reasons. I decided to get six 30 round magazines with it. The reason I went with the EO2 was because I had researched as it came highly recommended by a friend and I was always going to get an AR, it was just a matter of when. I hadn't planned on getting one now, but when they start talking about AW bans again, I'm not going to wait.

I've been looking more into the suggestions you've all made since then and those seem like some great options. I'm sure this won't be my only AR and I'm sure I'll build one in the future as well. Thanks for all the help.

However, you can answer one last question for me. I like the AB Arm LTF hand guard. It's the reason I was asking about the size. Since the EO2 is a 16" model. I assume this hand guard will work? I want it to fit right up the front sight. I assume I can move the front sight if needed?

Old 11-11-2012, 04:47 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1201 Times on 836 Posts
Likes Given: 1238

You need to look at and understand ZeusEcho's post. If you bought carbine length gas then buy the 7" handguards. You bought a 16" barrel so the gas system should be either carbine length or midlength. Just look at your specs.
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek
dog2000tj Likes This 
Old 11-11-2012, 06:10 PM   #19

Liked 3740 Times on 1828 Posts
Likes Given: 13270

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
Well, I ended up buying the Rock River Arms Elite Operator 2. I didn't really feel I had time to really research the others since it seemed like ARs are drying up everywhere for obvious reasons. I decided to get six 30 round magazines with it. The reason I went with the EO2 was because I had researched as it came highly recommended by a friend and I was always going to get an AR, it was just a matter of when. I hadn't planned on getting one now, but when they start talking about AW bans again, I'm not going to wait.

I've been looking more into the suggestions you've all made since then and those seem like some great options. I'm sure this won't be my only AR and I'm sure I'll build one in the future as well. Thanks for all the help.

However, you can answer one last question for me. I like the AB Arm LTF hand guard. It's the reason I was asking about the size. Since the EO2 is a 16" model. I assume this hand guard will work? I want it to fit right up the front sight. I assume I can move the front sight if needed?
is this the model you bought - http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id= 462? if so it is a mid length gas system, as noted in the specs

question - why do you want to change out the handguard so soon? why not take her out, shoot the snot out of her and see what you like/don't like first?

second - no, you cannot move the front sight, it also works as the gas block. You can get a low profile gas block and then install a longer handguard to go over it. If that is what you wanted you could have just bought a model from RRA like that

anyhow this is all semantics ... we demand gun pron! also, get your azz to the range and give us a range report!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 11-12-2012, 03:34 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog2000tj View Post
is this the model you bought - http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id= 462? if so it is a mid length gas system, as noted in the specs

question - why do you want to change out the handguard so soon? why not take her out, shoot the snot out of her and see what you like/don't like first?

second - no, you cannot move the front sight, it also works as the gas block. You can get a low profile gas block and then install a longer handguard to go over it. If that is what you wanted you could have just bought a model from RRA like that

anyhow this is all semantics ... we demand gun pron! also, get your azz to the range and give us a range report!
I get an error when trying to go to that link. Like I said, I'm new to ARs I know very little about them. Which is obvious being I didn't know the front sight was part of the gas system.

The reason I want to change out the hand guard so soon is because while I know very little about ARs, I've have shot them. I really don't like that style of hand guard. It's alright and would be fine if I didn't have an option. But a friend of mine has the AB Arms LTF and I love it. Had I not shot ARs before and had experience with the hand guards in question, I wouldn't consider changing it out so quickly. So, I assume there's going to be some extra real estate between the front sight and the AB Arms hand guard then.

I didn't really feel I had time to wait. I wanted to get one before they dried up and the price skyrocketed. I wish I had already done the research. That way I wouldn't be asking all these stupid questions as well.

As for the gun, I haven't gotten it yet. I ordered it from Joe Bob and it should be at my FFL tomorrow.

EDIT: Here's the AR I bought: RRA Elite Operator 2

Last edited by Polygon; 11-12-2012 at 04:07 PM.

Newest Threads