New To The AR15 and on the market for one
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > New To The AR15 and on the market for one

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2012, 07:50 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default New To The AR15 and on the market for one

Ive been a "Nay Sayer" on the AR15 for the last couple years, being an AK guy I never thought Id have much use for one, being my AK takes down Hogs just fine, which is my main purpose for my collection.

The Downside is that my AK has a little bit too much recoil to hit 2 or 3 hogs before the pack is gone, with about a split second of re-sighting the AK after each shot, maybe more if the hog is on the move, I really need something with less recoil but around the same ballistics and range as my AK.

The guy at the local gun shop has been up-selling the AR15's Low Recoil, Range and Damage, but I like to shop around and research rather than jump on the first thing offered on a so-called "good deal"

What He is offering is a Bushmaster Carbon-15, New with a Bushnell Red dot scope, front railing system, and 2 magazines for $650

That Price is fine and affordable being I have about $900 To play with, but Can I get better for what Im spending?? I really dont want to build an AR, Id rather buy one New and Complete.
Id also be interested in an AR10 if anyone knows where to find one in my price range.

What would You buy with the $900 and Why??

Thanks in advance!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-21-2012, 07:56 AM   #2

Liked 208 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadOn300
Ive been a "Nay Sayer" on the AR15 for the last couple years, being an AK guy I never thought Id have much use for one, being my AK takes down Hogs just fine, which is my main purpose for my collection.

The Downside is that my AK has a little bit too much recoil to hit 2 or 3 hogs before the pack is gone, with about a split second of re-sighting the AK after each shot, maybe more if the hog is on the move, I really need something with less recoil but around the same ballistics and range as my AK.

The guy at the local gun shop has been up-selling the AR15's Low Recoil, Range and Damage, but I like to shop around and research rather than jump on the first thing offered on a so-called "good deal"

What He is offering is a Bushmaster Carbon-15, New with a Bushnell Red dot scope, front railing system, and 2 magazines for $650

That Price is fine and affordable being I have about $900 To play with, but Can I get better for what Im spending?? I really dont want to build an AR, Id rather buy one New and Complete.
Id also be interested in an AR10 if anyone knows where to find one in my price range.

Thanks in advance!
While there are many options, but I would not reccomend the carbon 15 as many folks are reporting they bust up pretty quick.

------------Space Not for Hire.-----------

Old 01-21-2012, 08:30 AM   #3

Liked 3736 Times on 1825 Posts
Likes Given: 13270

For hunting hogs? I would suggest an AR15 in 458SOCOM or an AR10. If you shop around you may find a deal on either right around the $1k mark.

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 01-21-2012, 11:54 AM   #4

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

a well placed shot from a .223/5.56 will get the job done , now the .458 pretty much drops them in their tracks .
If you have intentions of pllinking with this gun the .458 is not going to be cost effective to do this with . Lots of choices out there , Make sure to ask questions preferable away from where your going to buy it at , They want a sale and most will get it at any cost. There are no stupid questions except the ones you didnt ask that cost you money
I will agree with the above statement , I would stay away from the carbon 15 , there are guns out there at the some cost that are much better quality , Spikes, PSA, Stag and a few others

Last edited by purehavoc; 01-21-2012 at 11:57 AM.

Old 01-21-2012, 01:31 PM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog2000tj View Post
For hunting hogs? I would suggest an AR15 in 458SOCOM or an AR10. If you shop around you may find a deal on either right around the $1k mark.
Really? The ol' boys here in Florida use their pocket knives to dispatch the hogs once their dogs corner them. .458 is a little overkill IMO, a 5.56 cal. or maybe a 6.8 will be more than enough. Pigs 'aint bulletproof.

P.S.: Pass on the Carbon 15. There are much better choices in your price range.

Old 01-21-2012, 02:20 PM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadOn300 View Post

Thanks in advance!
I would suggest you never set foot back in that place.

Plenty of people use the 5.56 to dispatch hogs. If you're worried get some good ballistic ammo.

Take a look at .300 AAC Blackout. .308 bullet in a 5.56 case.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 01-21-2012, 03:56 PM   #7

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Just went hogging, and I humped about 5 miles in brush and hilly terrain. I really apreciated a good comfortable sling and a my lightweight ar. I recommend a lightweight barrel and a good muzzle break. You should look at a 1/7 twist for longer bullets, and a 16, 18, 20 inch barrel depending on what distances you anticipate.

Old 01-21-2012, 04:04 PM   #8

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

A heavier gr. HP Bullet with a 1/7 twist in .223 / 5.56 will do plenty of damage and get the job done

Old 01-21-2012, 04:26 PM   #9

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I'm not sure a HP will penetrate enough....how big are the hogs you shooting? I just got some 70gr Barnes TSX but I don't aniticipate shooting anything over 200#s. I wouldn't take a shot on a 400# pig, unless I had a perfect shot.

I would not use FMJ or M855 steel penetrators. What you are looking for a controlled expansion with good penetration. HD SD hollow points will probably expand too much and not penetrate enough.

Barnes are expensive, but I've seen good things about Nosler Partitions, might want to look into to that.

Old 01-21-2012, 05:43 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks Everyone, Im gonna leave the car-15 off my radar all together. Im going to a few shops today to see what i can find.

We are taking any size hog we can get, simply just to get them off the land and help a local homeless shelter with free meat. The largest yet was close to 350#s and one shot from my AK with Wolf 122g HP at just over 80yrds It dropped him but it took a second shot to make the kill.

as I said before Im not experienced with an ar15 but if it has the range and accuracy of my ak then Ill be fine with some decent optics. I can put holes in a paper plate from almost 300yrds using a 4x32mm TruGlo Scope that I took off my crossbow.

I guess what im trying to say is that I can operate any weapon handed to me effectively, im just wanting to match or beat my ak's performance with less recoil.

I just want to make sure im fairly educated before just buying one.