New to the AR world... - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > New to the AR world...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2012, 01:32 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1143 Times on 745 Posts
Likes Given: 680

i say try to tade the handgaurd for extra mags or ammo. and then shoot the rifle the way it is.

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 07-28-2012, 03:03 PM   #12

EW, I appreciate your input and warning of malfunctions. On the other hand, I am not a child that plays with airsoft toys. If you re-read my last comment you will see that I mentioned I was going to use a low profile gas block where it should go and slide my current gas block forward to accept the end of the quad rail. The reason for this is because my current gas block has a small rail and top to use but mainly because it has the hand guard cap as well.

Thanks again.

My budget collection
Mut AR-15 (just like a dog, built from different breeds)
High Standard 12 ga pump
Remington Viper .22 LR
Chipmunk .22 (not for me, for the kids)
Walther P22 (wifes x-mas present, personalized with "momma's peace keeper")
Taurus PT 145 .45
Kel-Tec P3AT .380
Remington 742 .30-06
and growing..... when the wife permits!

Old 07-28-2012, 05:25 PM   #13

Liked 575 Times on 307 Posts

Are you planing on mounting a sight on the gas block with a rail? It's not necessary to keep that block on of it serves no purpose, just extra weight, and interference on the harmonics of the barrel. Not sure what you using this rifle for but if you want a thumbtack driver keep it a true free float and don't attach anything to the barrel that doesn't need to be there. A free float will not attach to what ever hand guard adapter is on that block anyways.

Old 07-28-2012, 07:08 PM   #14

Liked 87 Times on 67 Posts

EW is spot on. carbine barrels, quad rails, handguards and gas tubes are not compatable with full length rifles.

Old 07-28-2012, 07:59 PM   #15

Liked 1020 Times on 717 Posts
Likes Given: 1016

Quote:
Originally Posted by knutsen24 View Post
I thought I could get away with a low profile gas block and slide my current gas block forward to accept the front of the quad rail. I currently have a scope and front & rear BUS they just aren't in the pictures. Thanks for the help fellas. I'll let you know how it turns out.
I have to agree with EW, I think you're asking for trouble. Why not sell the upper as it is and buy another that will work with that rail (or also sell the rail and get exactly what you want). In the long run you'll come out ahead.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 07-29-2012, 11:00 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 103 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Just to clarify. The airsoft comment was not ment as a stab at you. I was only trying to remind you that there could be dire consequences for bad ,or ill advised, modifications. I see that you have many hand guns. That being said I see alot of people start with AR's and are infatuated by the modularity. As a result they sometimes believe that nothing is outside the relm of possibility. To some extent this is true. The reality of the situation, however, is that somethings cannot or should not be done. Is your idea possible? Sure! But what's the point? Are you trying to save money? Or are you simply trying to make the best out of a bad trade? At this point you should write it off to experience. Go invest some money in a front sight and ammo and go shoot the gun. Find out what you NEED and then make modifications.

EDUB

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by EW1066; 07-29-2012 at 08:22 PM.

Old 07-29-2012, 01:24 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by knutsen24
EW, I appreciate your input and warning of malfunctions. On the other hand, I am not a child that plays with airsoft toys. If you re-read my last comment you will see that I mentioned I was going to use a low profile gas block where it should go and slide my current gas block forward to accept the end of the quad rail. The reason for this is because my current gas block has a small rail and top to use but mainly because it has the hand guard cap as well.

Thanks again.
Just my two cents, but I don't think moving your current gas block farther down the barrel would be a viable option while using a lowpro gas block for the carbine length gas system. What I would do is sell/ trade the quad rail you have and invest in getting the lowpro gas block and using a midlength free float quad rail. Make the quad rail as flush with the upper receiver as possible and then you can use rail mounted sights on the end of the quad rail. Additionally you could get a hold of a carbine length quad rail instead (free float or not) and utilize the existing gas block rail to mount a front sight. I think the latter would be more cost and weight efficient but the first option would increase your sight radius and real estate on your quad rail. having two gas blocks with only one functioning? I would consider that unnecessary when there are better options. Just my opinion, good luck and good shooting.

Old 07-29-2012, 09:31 PM   #18

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

It's clear the answer in past threads is there! You have a carbine length gas system and doing a modification to accept a mid-length hand guard is absolutely point less to me(to each his own). As others have stated sell the hand guards and buy some goodies that accommodate and fit as is! Vltor sell a free float "like" hand guards that will tie into delta ring and also the top rail of your upper. They have a few different sizes that would give you that longer hand guard look that you're going for...good luck