Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   New to the AR world (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/new-ar-world-65106/)

e43jimmy409 05-25-2012 02:16 AM

New to the AR world

As the title says I am new to here. I am looking into getting my first AR. I am a casual shooter. I don't go out very often. I have read the stickeys for new users. Do you all like carbine length or mid length. I haven't really had a chance to get my hands on any. Also lightweight barrels or heavy barrels. I know i wont be putting an ungodly amount of ammo through at one time. right now I'm looking at the Del-ton kits and a spikes lower. Any advice would be awesome.

MikeJK 05-25-2012 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by e43jimmy409
As the title says I am new to here. I am looking into getting my first AR. I am a casual shooter. I don't go out very often. I have read the stickeys for new users. Do you all like carbine length or mid length. I haven't really had a chance to get my hands on any. Also lightweight barrels or heavy barrels. I know i wont be putting an ungodly amount of ammo through at one time. right now I'm looking at the Del-ton kits and a spikes lower. Any advice would be awesome.

LW Midlength feels best for me.

I would look around a little more before settling on DelTon. Compare prices and features b/w them and BCM. You'll notice a value gap.

Gatoragn 05-25-2012 02:34 AM

Get the highest quality your budget will allow. Go with a mid length, an AR does not really have much recoil, but a carbine is a little more abrupt than a mid length.

Palmetto State Armory usually offers good quality at a fair price.

There are folks on here that enjoy there DelTons, I have no experience with them.

Watch out for the BRD, it is highly contagious.

e43jimmy409 05-25-2012 03:54 AM

I want to keep it under 1000. I had a friend recommend the deltons is why im looking there. Like I said I dont shoot a lot just recreational, and I think I already have brd. First purchase was a hk mp5 sd 22

BenLuby 05-25-2012 04:00 AM

For 1k you can put together a really nice rifle without major headaches down the road.
You rally want to make sure you take your time and read, not only the stickies, but some build threads and find out what everyone is happy with.
For a casual plinker, as you're talking about wanting, you can still build a reliable firearm.

Quentin 05-25-2012 04:28 AM

I also like a LW midlength but would aim higher than Del-Ton if your budget is $1000. I'm real pleased with a BCM LW middy I just put together for the same price. Nothing wrong with the Spikes lower if you like the rollmark.

AznZOhAn 05-25-2012 06:08 AM

For a grand you actually have a lot of choices, Sig, S&W, RRA, BCM,

Fixer 05-25-2012 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by e43jimmy409 (Post 813584)
I want to keep it under 1000. I had a friend recommend the deltons is why im looking there. Like I said I dont shoot a lot just recreational, and I think I already have brd. First purchase was a hk mp5 sd 22

First off I have no owner experience with DTi. I have handled and repaired many rifles. DTi being one of them... (also Colt, BCM and LMT.)

DTi is a web based manufacturer. There is no real brick and motar. They buy in bulk and assemble then sell the parts or whole units. You can get a DTi that is made using the same parts as a LMT or BCM...or you can get a DTi made from unknown vendors. This is why they have a selection webpage...for the buyer to configure the rifle. You can actually buy a complete DTi for under $600..or a complete DTi for well over $1,000. These would NOT be the same weapon.

I am not pushing you away from BCM or DTi, but I will say S&W is a major firearms manufacturer and has been for a few years ;) ...a few years more than everyone else in fact :D:D.

They produce one of the best and affordable AR15s in the game. Hands down for all you get, including the name...they can not be beat.

I wouldnt get a Sport for your first Ar15. Use a full line AR15 before you start taking away things people say you don't really need. 5.56/223 is cheap, you can also buy a Ceiner 22lr conversion bolt to run /22lr in it (an extra $200 from many web stores)...or you can buy a S&W M&P15-300 which is a great heavy hitting hunting round. Since you are not using it a lot the extra cost of ammo will not hurt as much...or may hurt more..so look into that.

YMMV
Good luck

MikeJK 05-25-2012 01:47 PM

Fixer, I'm confused. I went to DelTon and tried putting together a rifle w/ the exact same specs as a BCM but couldn't.

Could you give me the model # to the Delton built exactly like the BCM? Tgank you.

connectegr 05-25-2012 07:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Delton DTI complete; RDS, vertical grip/bipod, ergo grip, Magpul furniture. Total $1000

Now I plan to push it. 700 rounds flawless. Planning at least 300 more tomorrow.