For a new AR shooter, Which?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > For a new AR shooter, Which?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2014, 10:56 PM   #1
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3382 Times on 2288 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Default For a new AR shooter, Which?

My friend has a few bucks to spend( a Ret. NYPD Det.). He's decided to buy an AR. He likes the New SIG 516, and one or two others. ( He is not a member here) he'd like some feedback, so I thought I'd ask here BTW, 18 months ago I'd never thought I have one or need one and now I do(Albeit a 9MM one).. Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-23-2014, 11:45 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 67 Times on 47 Posts

If he's looking into Sig, he's certainly got the resources to go in several directions. Is your friend's AR going to be used in competition, home defense, or a mixed bag of stuff? I purchased a Del-Ton DT Sport and it's been excellent for my purposes. While it's not a household "brand", these folks are doing a very nice job with their products that range from entry level to high end with prices that are very reasonable.

Old 04-23-2014, 11:50 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1158 Times on 813 Posts
Likes Given: 1180

Well since your friend has a decent budget and is looking at quality he should look at the Colt 6920 and BCM. You really can't beat BCM, they have such a wide selection of upper receiver groups and just about everything you need except the stripped lower. They aren't selling complete rifles at this time but many of us have put together a quality lower then topped it off with a BCM upper. (I have their basic lightweight midlength upper and can recommend it highly.) G&R Tactical does have BCM complete lowers but they're about $100 more than a quality lower you can put together yourself.

Of course there are other excellent upper echelon brands like Daniel Defense, Noveske and LMT. To save a little money you can do good things with PSA, Spikes and Sionics.
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Old 04-23-2014, 11:51 PM   #4

Default For a new AR shooter, Which?

He does not compete anymore, when he was still "on the job," both he and his Sister( Also NYPD and the former "Range Sgt." At the Department's main range facility ) competed. It's primarily for SHTF, he doesn't even need it for SD, he's got 3 Glocks , 3 38's, and a semi-auto 12Ga., and is about to also buy Two New Ruger 9's for CC

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Last edited by DrFootball; 04-23-2014 at 11:53 PM.

Old 04-24-2014, 12:03 AM   #5

Liked 2450 Times on 1436 Posts
Likes Given: 559

I'm guessing he didn't retire and stay in NY.

I'll echo the BCM. For a good price and a SHTF role, it would be a good choice.

Old 04-24-2014, 12:21 AM   #6

He did but he hopes to leave by the end of this year for either NC or Fla.
He does Security/ Investigations and Courier work for a well known Jewler.
He's in a Burb, not the city proper, but we both grew up here:imageuploadedbyfirearms-talk1398298770.688205.jpg

Parkside Houses in the Bronx. I was on the 1st floor in the building on the bottom right, and he and several other friends grew up in the Larger one on the far right..