Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   New to AR platform. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/new-ar-platform-99568/)

LifeElevated 10-27-2013 04:38 AM

New to AR platform.

So I am beginning me quest for the perfect AR. I know this is going to be a loaded ? but I would love some feedback from everybody on who makes a sold rifle. Plan on making it full tactical with quad rail and such, but wonder if going piston is really worth the money seeing as I don't plan on crawling through mud and sand with it?
Thanks in advance for the input!!

SSGN_Doc 10-27-2013 04:46 AM

Nope..........

sweeper22 10-27-2013 05:24 AM

I'm not a big fan of the piston option. For me, the positive attributes simply don't amount to much. The negatives (weight, cost, limited modularity) are all significant concerns. You may feel different.

If you wish to spend $800-1500, I'm a big proponent of Daniel Defense, BCM, and PSA. I also like some of the Spike's and AIM Surplus uppers. If the budget goes much beyond that, get whatever you like. At that point most of what's out there is really good and your decisions should be primarily shaped by your personal preferences and budget.

purehavoc 10-27-2013 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LifeElevated (Post 1414776)
So I am beginning me quest for the perfect AR. I know this is going to be a loaded ? but I would love some feedback from everybody on who makes a sold rifle. Plan on making it full tactical with quad rail and such, but wonder if going piston is really worth the money seeing as I don't plan on crawling through mud and sand with it?
Thanks in advance for the input!!

What does full tactical consist of now a days ?

LifeElevated 10-27-2013 05:51 AM

I have a few buddies with Daniel Defense and they seem like very solid rifles. Budget is about $1300 or so. Would like to have laser sight, light, scope, Magpul accessories. Still doin a lot of research. Thanks

sweeper22 10-27-2013 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LifeElevated (Post 1414824)
I have a few buddies with Daniel Defense and they seem like very solid rifles. Budget is about $1300 or so. Would like to have laser sight, light, scope, Magpul accessories. Still doin a lot of research. Thanks

$1300 will buy a base rifle from DD.

If you want all that stuff on a good rifle for around $1300, PSA is going to be your best bet.

Mercator 10-27-2013 05:57 PM

I concur that a piston action isn't worth it. The only rational reason for it is not even the mud and dirt, it is using a suppressor to maximum effect. Other than that, a piston AR will be muzzle heavy, with more moving parts, and overall the same cleaning chore. It seems like a hot item due to heavy promotion, but to an armed citizen it has little extra to offer.

Argyle_Armoring 10-27-2013 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercator (Post 1415187)
I concur that a piston action isn't worth it. The only rational reason for it is not even the mud and dirt, it is using a suppressor to maximum effect. Other than that, a piston AR will be muzzle heavy, with more moving parts, and overall the same cleaning chore. It seems like a hot item due to heavy promotion, but to an armed citizen it has little extra to offer.

My thoughts exactly. Look at Argyle Armoring rifles.

kiabe1 10-28-2013 02:39 AM

You might try looking at spikes tactical for 1300 you can get an excellent gun from them

hoovco 10-28-2013 02:59 AM

If something breaks on a DI system, the part is usually like 15-20 bucks.

A piston system is gonna be a bit more spendy.