New ar owner ?'s
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > New ar owner ?'s

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2011, 03:49 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default New ar owner ?'s

I know theres alot of ar threads already but im new to owing one and had some questions.

First off its a Dpms carbine model a15 ar its chambered for .223 and/or 5.56, basic model with the detachable handle on the rail, shorty barrel. I think thats all lol

Now im new to this style rifle, I own shotguns and rifles of all sorts but never one of these bad boys. what troubles may I run into with it?

I dont want to "trick it out" I just maybe want a few parts like fwd grip, possible scope/red dot, where should I look for a good deal(price and quality wise), and what to get? Shooting possibly up to 250yds ish, and the accasional hunting trip.

Whats the best ammo to shoot out of it? I heard 55gr .223 would be good but just wandering ehat yall shoot

And finally, whats the darn difference between .223 and 5.56?? Lol. Sorry for the abundance of questions, any suggestions/help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance yall

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-07-2011, 01:32 PM   #2

Sorry about the double post I bumped the send button as I was typing

Old 09-07-2011, 01:51 PM   #3

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you can, avoid the Tula .223 that you find at WalMart.

It works, but is VERY dirty. I mean, "beat a charcoal briquet into your chamber and BCG" style of dirty.

Check YouTube for vids of it. IIRC, some folks recommend lubing the Tula to get it to feed as the "polymer coating" doesn't have the lubricity of brass.

Old 09-07-2011, 03:08 PM   #4

Ok, the only ammo I buy there are shot shells anyhow, didnt answer much though

Old 09-07-2011, 03:13 PM   #5

I appreciate the info though

Old 09-07-2011, 03:57 PM   #6

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth88 View Post
I know theres alot of ar threads already but im new to owing one and had some questions.

First off its a Dpms carbine model a15 ar its chambered for .223 and/or 5.56, basic model with the detachable handle on the rail, shorty barrel. I think thats all lol

Now im new to this style rifle, I own shotguns and rifles of all sorts but never one of these bad boys. what troubles may I run into with it?

Keep it clean and lubed, use good ammo, and you shouldn't have troubles. Try to stay away from steel cased ammo, it has a coating on the casing that causes build-up and major problems. It also tends to be very dirty.

I dont want to "trick it out" I just maybe want a few parts like fwd grip, possible scope/red dot, where should I look for a good deal(price and quality wise), and what to get? Shooting possibly up to 250yds ish, and the accasional hunting trip.

Check out the different threads here. Surf the internet and go to gun shows and talk to dealers. Do you have any friends with SUR's (Sport Utility Rifles)? What toys do they have on theirs? See if they will let you try their toys on your SUR to see if you like them.

Whats the best ammo to shoot out of it? I heard 55gr .223 would be good but just wandering ehat yall shoot

Alot depends on what twist your barrel is. There are threads here that discuss what bullet weights are best for what rates of twist. But, 55 gr is a good all-around weight.

And finally, whats the darn difference between .223 and 5.56??

5.56 is the military designation, there is also a pressure difference and slight case difference. Basically you can shoot .223 through a 5.56 but not 5.56 through a .223.

Lol. Sorry for the abundance of questions, any suggestions/help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance yall
Hope this helps

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....

Last edited by Glasshartt; 09-07-2011 at 03:59 PM.

Old 09-07-2011, 05:38 PM   #7

Cool thanks, a few of my buddies,got em wivh kinda drew me towards mine, theyre fun a heck to shoot lol. Theyre the kind of guys that money isnt an issue for so I could do that but couldnt afford theyre toys in the long run.

Im not sure of.the twist in the barrel yet but will look into that soon.

Do you kniw of any good sites off hand for suplies, accesories and ammo?

Old 09-07-2011, 05:51 PM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Here it comes, lol

A BCM, Spikes, or PSA are your best deals going on an AR. BCM is probably one of the most popular due to its insane value and outright max reliability.

Daniel Defense makes a rock (more like steel) solid AR.

I shoot the heck out of steel ammo. For every 1k of XM193 55gr FMJ brass, I go through 1.5K to 2k of Tula 62gr HP. No joke, no malfunctions to date running mixed (one mag steel followed by a mag of brass and so on) which is supposed to be a no go. I don't clean my ARs very often either. A quality, well lubed AR will give you the best results.

As far as accessories I prefer a micro red dot, flip up iron sites, and Magpul furniture to include PMags. Make a couple trips to the range w/ your AR and possibly a friends AR w/ a RDS and other add-ons to see what you like before spending your money.

1:7 twist is the most versatile IMO

Old 09-07-2011, 05:52 PM   #9

Liked 1032 Times on 725 Posts
Likes Given: 1029

Man Sloth, improve your spelling! It's painful reading you.

Anyway Glass had a lot of great suggestions so definitely read the AR build threads. You'll find many recommendations as far as suppliers there too.

Also a lot of us here do use cheap steel case. It works fine in a properly functioning AR so why not use it for training and range ammo.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 09-07-2011, 05:53 PM   #10

Liked 1032 Times on 725 Posts
Likes Given: 1029

Ah, MJ beat me to it by a minute!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.