Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > New to AR. Must have one.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2009, 01:37 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I was looking through their site, and was wondering, what's the difference between that one with the AA Piston Conversion, and the one that has the Dedicated Piston Upper.

Rifle with Dedicated Piston Upper

Is the one with the dedicated upper worth the extra $150($650 with the sale)?

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 12-14-2009, 01:51 AM   #22

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCross7 View Post
I was looking through their site, and was wondering, what's the difference between that one with the AA Piston Conversion, and the one that has the Dedicated Piston Upper.

-Fred
Good question Fred. Not really sure what the main difference would be between them. I know the Adams Arms piston kit is about $380 by itself. I don't think Spikes sells their piston kit separately, at least not yet. But for that price, I think I would look at the ST-15 M4 Carbine w/AA Piston Conversion. $1099 for all that they put into it, is a good price. You'd be hard pressed to build it for that.

Slo

Old 12-14-2009, 02:26 AM   #23

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Another one to consider, along with that Spike's piston gun, is the new one from Stag. The Model 8.

Stag Arms

Slo

Old 12-16-2009, 02:30 AM   #24

I am new to the Black Rifle stuff too, and I have a question about the Eotech sights. I know they must be pretty good cause of the military using them and I see alot of people that own them, but I was wondering if there is a comparable holosight that doesnt cost $500. But similar.

Old 12-16-2009, 03:33 AM   #25

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjandpurge View Post
I am new to the Black Rifle stuff too, and I have a question about the Eotech sights. I know they must be pretty good cause of the military using them and I see alot of people that own them, but I was wondering if there is a comparable holosight that doesnt cost $500. But similar.
Do a search, you can find some of the lesser Eotech's going for around $375. IF you really do some searching, you may still be able to find the Bushnell Holosights. That's basically an Eotech without the extra metal shielding, and going for about $250 or less. Bushnell - HOLOsight Riflescope - 510023

Slo

Old 12-16-2009, 04:31 AM   #26

Thanks for the help, slo. You said "if you really do some searching" does that mean that the bushnell is discontinued? That seems like an excellent choice for me. I also have another AR query: I just bought a bone stock AR, carbine 16 inch reg diameter barrel. I want a four way aluminium rail handguard, and I know the standard for the carbine is like 7 or 9 inches, but I kinda like the look of a longer one like 10 or 12 inches with only 2 or three inches of barrel and flash sup sticking out. I know I gotta have a low profile gas block, but is this possible?

Old 12-16-2009, 09:19 AM   #27

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCross7 View Post

-Fred
It says on their site that the dedicated piston has the upper machined for the operating rod. It says no gas tube bushing required.
It sounds like the conversion kit gets a bushing in the gas tube hole that the op rod passes through. The dedicated has a smaller hole drilled in the upper,so no bushing is needed.
Is that a big deal worth the extra cash? I wouldnt think it would be---gate

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Old 12-16-2009, 12:53 PM   #28

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjandpurge View Post
....... I also have another AR query: I just bought a bone stock AR, carbine 16 inch reg diameter barrel. I want a four way aluminium rail handguard, and I know the standard for the carbine is like 7 or 9 inches, but I kinda like the look of a longer one like 10 or 12 inches with only 2 or three inches of barrel and flash sup sticking out. I know I gotta have a low profile gas block, but is this possible?
Yup, low pro as block will do the trick. Just make sure the rail you get will fit over it. I have had good luck with the YHM rails for the same application you are asking about. YHM also makes a low block, and they have a special rail end cap that finishes the rail out well. But if you want the cadillac, Larue makes a rail that would do the trick as well.

Old 12-16-2009, 01:14 PM   #29

Man, You are right about Larue being the cadillac, They are nice! that's a chunk of the paycheck there. Thanks for the help, I'm gonna get a rifle length rail to slide over the low pro block, I like the look too much. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Ive seen some Handguards that sorta do away with the delta ring and butt right up against the upper. Can these be bought?

Old 12-16-2009, 02:03 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
ST-15 M4 Carbine w/AA Piston Conversion [ST15 w/AA] - $1,099.00 : Spikes Tactical

Reg $1495.00
Sale Price $1,099.00
Save: 26% off
Spike's Tactical M4 Carbine w/AA Piston Conversion.

Upper Specs-
-Spike's Tactical M4 flat top upper receiver, Machined from a 7075 T6 Mil-Spec Forging with Mil-Spec Type III Hardcoat Anodized finish, T-markings, our logo and M4 feed ramps.
-Barrel is Stainless Steel, M4 profile, M4 barrel extention, 5.56mm Nato chamber, 1:8 Twist, Melonite finish inside and out.
-Adam's Arms LE M16 Bolt carrier with intergrated carrier key (Carrier and Key are 1pc.). Carrier has Melonite finish inside and out with our logo.
-Adam's Arms clamp on railed gas block w/ Melonite finish.
-Spring loaded MP tested bolt w/ Viton O-ring on the extractor and Mil-Spec black extractor insert.
-Forged Mil-Spec charging handle.
-M4 hand guards and hand guard cap modified for AA Piston system.
-A2 Flash Hider.

Lower Specs-
-Spike's Tactical Lower, Machined from a 7075 T6 Mil-Spec Forging with Mil-Spec Type III Hardcoat Anodized finish.
-Mil-Spec lower parts kit. (Works with 22LR, 9MM, 223/5.56, and Many More.)
-6 Position Mil-Spec buffer tube, castle nut and Properly staked latch plate.
-ST-T2 Tungsten Heavy buffer.
-Mil-Spec 17-4 stainless steel buffer spring.
-Spike's Tactical M4 stock.

Accessories-
-Magpul 30rd Pmag
**All of our products carry a LIFETIME Warranty**
Yeah, I've had my eye on Spikes stuff since you turned me on to their stripped lower deal. This looks pretty good. ....................markerdown

USAF, Retired .. "From My Cold Dead Hands!"

"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." ........ Edward R. Murrow