New to AR. Must have one.
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

New to AR. Must have one.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2009, 05:08 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 66 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default New to AR. Must have one.

So here go the dumb questions:
  1. What is the opinion of the Sig 5.56?
  1. Is it customizable?
  1. If a 223 will accept 5.56 ammo, why are Sig and Ruger calling theirs 5.56?

That will be all for now, but more dumb questions to follow. Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-12-2009, 05:19 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3498 Times on 1613 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

1. - Sig makes a nice rifle. They have a patented two valve system for their recoil operation. It's pretty slick. That said, you are paying a lot for the name. Not the rifle isn't a good one, it is, but you are well above the price of a comparably equipped stick that you can customize and work on yourself.

2. - I believe there are little things that you can do to the rifle, but your standard AR parts aren't going to fit it. I am sure the pistol grip can be changed. The front foreend ( I do not believe ) is free floated on the basic service rifle, so I don't know if an aftermarket foreend will fit or not, I have never work on one.

3. - You have this reversed. A 5.56 chamber will accept the lighter, civilian .223 rounds. A .223 chamber is NOT rated to accept the heavier 5.56 military pressure loads. Sig and other companies are marketing 5.56mm chambers because that is the safer bet in sales. Customers can still shoot either round, but the 5.56 round will achieve better accuracy.

One thing to note, Sig uses Cold Hammer Forged Barrels, which are more accurate than chrome lined, but not as durable in the long run if you are going to put thousands upon thousands of rounds down range on a regualr basis...

JD

Old 12-12-2009, 07:29 PM   #3

Based on what you said, I think I'll take a pass. Really expensive at $1,799...although it DID have a quad rail and a flashlight!

I went to look at it at my local shop and asked him the question, "why do some ARs say they are chambered in .223 and accept 5.56 while the Sigs and Rugers say they are 5.56?" He said that 556 is just the model name of those particular rifles.

Still haven't ruled out your recommendation of putting one together myself....but I'm pretty time-challenged at times.

Now, you're going to say that all the time I spend on the FTF, I could be building an AR. And, of course, I would have no response to that.

Old 12-12-2009, 08:41 PM   #4

Liked 1463 Times on 819 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

http://www.botachdefense.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=Smith+Wesson-MP15X

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 12-12-2009, 09:10 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
1. - Sig makes a nice rifle. They have a patented two valve system for their recoil operation. It's pretty slick. That said, you are paying a lot for the name. Not the rifle isn't a good one, it is, but you are well above the price of a comparably equipped stick that you can customize and work on yourself.

2. - I believe there are little things that you can do to the rifle, but your standard AR parts aren't going to fit it. I am sure the pistol grip can be changed. The front foreend ( I do not believe ) is free floated on the basic service rifle, so I don't know if an aftermarket foreend will fit or not, I have never work on one.

3. - You have this reversed. A 5.56 chamber will accept the lighter, civilian .223 rounds. A .223 chamber is NOT rated to accept the heavier 5.56 military pressure loads. Sig and other companies are marketing 5.56mm chambers because that is the safer bet in sales. Customers can still shoot either round, but the 5.56 round will achieve better accuracy.

One thing to note, Sig uses Cold Hammer Forged Barrels, which are more accurate than chrome lined, but not as durable in the long run if you are going to put thousands upon thousands of rounds down range on a regualr basis...

JD
+1 what ^ said

You would have a very Name-brand AR, score high in Styling-points, but would not be able to customize it very easily or affordably.

Old 12-12-2009, 09:18 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

and the ergonomics SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKKKKKK.

Good choice passing on it. Colt LE 6920s are way down right now, $1150 if you shop. SW MP 15s are are pretty good choice too, much cheaper but if price isnt an issue, get the Pony.

Let us know what you get!

Old 12-12-2009, 09:32 PM   #7

I knew I could count on you guys. I'll let y'all know what I end up with. Big gun show in Fort Worth January 3 (if I can a wait that long without buying myself an early Christmas gift). I'll probably pull the trigger then. No pun intended.

Old 12-12-2009, 09:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly68 View Post
and the ergonomics SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKKKKKK.

Good choice passing on it. Colt LE 6920s are way down right now, $1150 if you shop. SW MP 15s are are pretty good choice too, much cheaper but if price isnt an issue, get the Pony.

Let us know what you get!
I DO love me a pony.....

Old 12-12-2009, 10:56 PM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
I DO love me a pony.....
Colt LE6940 Law Enforcement Carbine | Geniune Colt 6940 For Sale | Automatic and Semiautomatic Guns | Machine Guns, Handguns, and Accessories | Buy Now

Colt LE6940

Or....

SR-15 Rifle, SR-15 Carbine, SR-16 Carbine, SR-16 CQB

Knight SR15

Last edited by slowryde45; 12-12-2009 at 11:07 PM.

Old 12-13-2009, 12:59 AM   #10

How important is twist rate.....1 x 7" vs. 1 x 9" ?