Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > New AR issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2010, 10:30 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 39 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Looks like I have rifle/rifle extension and receiver, Slo.

On the issue of the bolt catch, I'm pretty sure it is installed properly. With the rounds seemingly not getting fed high enough to chamber and the bolt catch not engaging, it does sound more and more like mags, Robo (though the cheap ammo may not be helping matters).

I think this may require careful testing at the range, the only upside to malfunctions .

"Always carry a small flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite. Furthermore, always carry a small snake." W.C. Fields

Old 07-06-2010, 10:39 PM   #12

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Are the mags seating properly?

Old 07-09-2010, 09:28 PM   #13

Wolf can't be the problem, my Stag has chewed through the couple hundred rounds of Silver Bear. I clean after virtually every outing. We run Wolf in our AK and Saiga .308. Never a problem

Old 07-09-2010, 09:43 PM   #14

Okay, so the mags are seating just fine, and I've taken a couple pictures of rounds that jammed. Maybe the markings will give someone some ideas.

These are the most obvious marks
Name:  Picture 99.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  18.6 KB

And these are directly opposite the first set of marks
Name:  Picture 102.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  19.6 KB

I'm also having the same problem with my sig p226, which also has 10rd mags, but I believe they are factory 10rders as opposed to the modified mags for my AR. The only thing they have in common is me, and I keep my guns spotless, so I don't think it's user error.
Anyone have any ideas? I'm a very unhappy camper when the gun I built lovingly with my own two hands fails on me

"Always carry a small flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite. Furthermore, always carry a small snake." W.C. Fields

Old 07-10-2010, 12:24 AM   #15

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have the same problem in my Bushy upper'd AR. I've done everything I can think of and have simply surrendered to the fact that I can't run more than 120 rounds through with a full cleaning. It's the main reason my second build was a piston gun.

Old 07-10-2010, 01:10 AM   #16

Liked 208 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Daggle, You're using 10/30 PMags right?
Any idea how they "limit" the capacity on those?
I ask because I run a Cmag 10 rounder, and a Cmag 10/30... and on the 10/30 they just punched tabs in the front and back to limit the follower.
I ask because Depending on the job, downloading mags probably won't assist much.

Depending on where you're at in California, (if you're in cali lol) I can lend you a 10 rounder for the range trip.

------------Space Not for Hire.-----------

Old 07-10-2010, 03:02 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagj17 View Post
Daggle, You're using 10/30 PMags right?
Any idea how they "limit" the capacity on those?
I ask because I run a Cmag 10 rounder, and a Cmag 10/30... and on the 10/30 they just punched tabs in the front and back to limit the follower.
I ask because Depending on the job, downloading mags probably won't assist much.

Depending on where you're at in California, (if you're in cali lol) I can lend you a 10 rounder for the range trip.
Very kind offer, sir, but I'm out by santa barbara. I didn't have the presence of mind to keep track of mags last time, but I'm going to mark them tonight for Sunday. Hopefully I'll either isolate the problem or see it disappear over the next couple trips. BTW, braSs casings are on the table for the foreseeable future, just in case. No pun intended.