New AR issues
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > New AR issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2010, 03:40 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 39 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default New AR issues

I'm experiencing a few issues with my recently built SUR. First, out of 200 rounds I've had 3 failures to feed.
Also, beginning this afternoon (fourth trip to the range), my bolt catch has begun failing to engage.
My mags are magpul PMAGs, factory limited to 10 rounds, could this be my bolt-catch issue? I suppose the modified mags could be failing to engage the latch...
I AM using cheapo wolf ammo. I know that this is frowned upon, but I thought it was just an extractor life issue, not anything that would turn up 200 rounds in.
Could these two be related? I would be stoked if they were the same problem, otherwise I may have more problems on my hands than I am financially prepared to deal with.

"Always carry a small flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite. Furthermore, always carry a small snake." W.C. Fields

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-06-2010, 03:53 AM   #2

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

There was a similar post earlier today...I believe the consensus was that Wolf ammo should not be used until the gun is broken in.

http://http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/jammin-308-a-28575/

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 07-06-2010, 04:07 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

sounds like a mag issue. Are you using multiple mags? Did you experience these problems with multiple mags?

Old 07-06-2010, 04:47 AM   #4

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I ran Wolf in my DMR religeously. no failures.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 07-06-2010, 02:57 PM   #5

Cleaned every time it's been shot, BCG run wet with motor oil as per the suggestion of others here, so I guess either mags, ammo, or break in period. I hope its not the mags, so I guess I'll just have to run a few hundred rounds of better ammo through it and hope for the best. How tight should the bolt key be?

"Always carry a small flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite. Furthermore, always carry a small snake." W.C. Fields

Old 07-06-2010, 03:16 PM   #6

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Gas key should be rock solid and immovable. Hex screws are usually cross cut (staked) into bolt carrier to prevent loosening.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Last edited by Jpyle; 07-06-2010 at 05:40 PM.

Old 07-06-2010, 03:58 PM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Is the spent caseing ejecting? Id try running different/multipul magazines to see if its the mag. Then maybe purchase a couple boxes of some different ammo. Take it one step at a time as to issolate the problem so you dont end up replacing something that is currently working. Save some cash that way.

Old 07-06-2010, 04:45 PM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

^ great advise. The possible leakage problem totally skipped my mind. Im curious to read the Ops response.

Old 07-06-2010, 07:18 PM   #9

Casings are ejecting just fine, but fresh rounds are getting locked up against the teeth of the barrel. As for what I called the "bolt key", I don't know the proper names here, but I'm referring to the piston with the gear-shaped tip in the center of the BCG. Mine requires about 3-4 lbs of pressure to depress or extend by hand, I have no clue what's normal. As for the rest, I'll have to post in greater detail after work. My employer has this obsession with "productivity" or some such thing.

Old 07-06-2010, 07:32 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2743 Times on 1437 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaggle View Post
Casings are ejecting just fine, but fresh rounds are getting locked up against the teeth of the barrel. As for what I called the "bolt key", I don't know the proper names here, but I'm referring to the piston with the gear-shaped tip in the center of the BCG. Mine requires about 3-4 lbs of pressure to depress or extend by hand, I have no clue what's normal. As for the rest, I'll have to post in greater detail after work. My employer has this obsession with "productivity" or some such thing.
If the rounds are hitting the barrel extension (teeth of the barrel), look at mag problems. I believe the "Bolt Key" is the bolt. it is the part that has the locking lugs, extractor and gas rings (3). Take out the cam pin (the part that goes in to the left side of the bolt carrier. Hang the bolt carrier by the bolt. The gas rings are the part that provide the friction to hold the carrier. As long as the carrier does not fall, the gas rings are OK.

I would definately look at the magazines. Try a known quality mag from a friend to eliminate that variable.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball