new to the ar industry - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > new to the ar industry

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2011, 10:57 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: 60187,illinois
Posts: 78
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
I'm not an AR expert but I can tell you a few questions that they will ask you.

What's your purpose/goal for this rifle?
Home Defense
Zombies (meaning SHTF kinda situation)
Hunting
Competition
Plinking/target
other?

What's your budget?

I think your going to find that most AR's you can shoot the S*** out of right out of the box but you should take some time to think about why you want it and decide what features/mods you want on your AR before you spend money on it. I'm in the process of building an AR, I bought the lower for cheap, got a 2 stage Rock River trigger and when I get the money I'm going to get a Rock River Upper already assembled. The reviews I have read from this board and others have been very positive and they are at a good price point for me.
ok this is some good questions. i wont be using it for hunting or zombies. mostly when i get out to the rang a couple time with it lots of outdoor field shooting. let me add, it will be bump fired aswell if that has anything to do with it. i will prolly be using iron sights and wont be shooting long distances, but that will be put to the test. i also believe that spending money on a quility gun goes alot way.
__________________
remington7mm is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:19 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
MrMilspecer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Great N.W.,Oregon
Posts: 126
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by remington7mm View Post
ok this is some good questions. i wont be using it for hunting or zombies. mostly when i get out to the rang a couple time with it lots of outdoor field shooting. let me add, it will be bump fired aswell if that has anything to do with it. i will prolly be using iron sights and wont be shooting long distances, but that will be put to the test. i also believe that spending money on a quility gun goes alot way.
You should look at Daniel Defense. Heres a link to some decent prices RifleGear - Daniel Defense
Buds Gun Shop also has great prices but not usually in stock. Go to DD home page and read up. As mentioned earlier also BCM is good stuff. Ya these are battle rifles but it doesnt mean you cant scope one and go hunting Ammo lots of ammo. Ive been shooting Herters for 3.99 a box at Cabelas. Great for practice, at least in my ARs
__________________
MrMilspecer is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 05:16 AM   #13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
USEBOTHHANDS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ferriday,LA
Posts: 1,332
Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMilspecer View Post
You should look at Daniel Defense. Heres a link to some decent prices RifleGear - Daniel Defense
Buds Gun Shop also has great prices but not usually in stock. Go to DD home page and read up. As mentioned earlier also BCM is good stuff. Ya these are battle rifles but it doesnt mean you cant scope one and go hunting Ammo lots of ammo. Ive been shooting Herters for 3.99 a box at Cabelas. Great for practice, at least in my ARs

$3.99 a box.............really? .223 rounds?
__________________
USEBOTHHANDS is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:43 AM   #14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
dog2000tj's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 8,309
Liked 3737 Times on 1825 Posts
Likes Given: 13270

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by remington7mm View Post
let me add, it will be bump fired aswell if that has anything to do with it.
Why?
__________________

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

dog2000tj is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 01:48 PM   #15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mjkeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Wichita,Kansas
Posts: 4,026
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by USEBOTHHANDS View Post
$3.99 a box.............really? .223 rounds?
Depending where you go you can get it for a little less.

Im going to have to look into that stuff though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog2000tj View Post
Why?
Cuz it Gangsta
__________________
mjkeat is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:24 PM   #16
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Quentin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Idaho
Posts: 6,689
Liked 1081 Times on 763 Posts
Likes Given: 1094

Default

Yeah Cabelas occasionally has Herter's .223 55gr FMJ for $3.99-$3.49. Lots of people hate it and say it's worse than Wolf but I don't have any problems with it. Too good to pass up when they have it or Tula white box on sale. I've got a couple thousand rounds of those two.

__________________
Quentin is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:44 PM   #17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
MrMilspecer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Great N.W.,Oregon
Posts: 126
Default

Ya @ 3.99 for 20 Im getting 1000 shipped for $216.45. Tried 500 first to see how they function no problems so far so I ordered more. The great thing is both my Carbines eat them just fine. I read yesterday were a guy was telling a Newb do not buy a carbine gas system because they are very picky and it will only work with .556 nato ammo. I had to laugh my arss off. They are great for practice as trigger time is most important.

__________________
MrMilspecer is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 06:18 PM   #18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
USEBOTHHANDS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ferriday,LA
Posts: 1,332
Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMilspecer View Post
Ya @ 3.99 for 20 Im getting 1000 shipped for $216.45. Tried 500 first to see how they function no problems so far so I ordered more. The great thing is both my Carbines eat them just fine. I read yesterday were a guy was telling a Newb do not buy a carbine gas system because they are very picky and it will only work with .556 nato ammo. I had to laugh my arss off. They are great for practice as trigger time is most important.
thanks for the info, i will have to check into that...........i mean you CAN'T EVER HAVE TOO MUCH AMMO, RIGHT?
__________________
USEBOTHHANDS is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 03:16 AM   #19
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Quentin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Idaho
Posts: 6,689
Liked 1081 Times on 763 Posts
Likes Given: 1094

Default

This cheap stuff works great in my two midlengths too. And a buddy's carbine length gas Bushmaster.

__________________
Quentin is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 05:20 AM   #20
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
MrMilspecer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Great N.W.,Oregon
Posts: 126
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
This cheap stuff works great in my two midlengths too. And a buddy's carbine length gas Bushmaster.
My carbines eat up Herters like a fat kid eats up a bag of Costco sized M&Ms. A large ammount can go fast.
__________________
MrMilspecer is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Shooting Industry Magazine Digital Edition BunnyWabbit The Club House 0 09-09-2010 03:53 PM
Financial Industry Bill to be Passed Today CA357 Politics, Religion and Controversy 9 07-16-2010 04:46 PM
Now Obama Wants to 'Fix' the Airline Industry Bigcountry02 Politics, Religion and Controversy 6 11-13-2009 07:51 AM
Working in the arms industry you_talkin_2_me The Club House 1 03-28-2008 09:14 PM