Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > New AR Build, Upper advice....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 10:39 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Default New AR Build, Upper advice....

I just finished getting all my lower parts in with all this BS going on in our country. I got the poly lower from NFA with a RRA LPK, ATI mil-spec buffer kit and Magpul CRT stock plus the MOE + grip (rubberized slightly, Love It!) Now I need the upper, I was thinking of Adams Arms?????

SA XD-40 V10 (Ported) 40 S&W
New Frontier Stripped Lower
RRA LPK (Lower parts kit)
More to come....

"Don't thik of it as 'Gun Control', think of it as "Victim disarmament". If we make enough laws, we can ALL be criminals".

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-25-2013, 02:43 PM   #2

Liked 723 Times on 537 Posts
Likes Given: 691

No first hand experience with Adams. Don't forget PSA.

The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.
You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:04 PM   #3
Camo, you are lucky to see it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1571 Times on 868 Posts
Likes Given: 4775

I have also been interested in the PDS or Piston Driven System in the Adams.
Haven't heard much, nor found much.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:31 PM   #4

I would say anyone thinking about a piston AR should become very familiar with the advantages and disadvantages. If you're looking at a 16" barrel or longer the disadvantages outweigh the advantages.

The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.
You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:04 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 832 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 68

There are so many different uppers out there that choosing just one is an incredibly hard task. I just finished my first build and am already starting to order parts to start my second. And after I finish it, I'm sure there will be a third. All I can say is pick out what you like, as everyone seems to have their own opinions!

Here's one that I would really like to have, but would have to get a tax stamp on to build an SBR. Primary Weapons Systems (PWS) MK107 (Diablo)

Name:  Primary_Weapons_Systems_PWS_MK107u_Diablo_U.jpg
Views: 806
Size:  20.9 KB

Name:  PWS_MK107u_762x39.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  20.6 KB

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Last edited by TexasGunner; 02-25-2013 at 04:31 PM.

Old 02-25-2013, 06:40 PM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Do you guys think its better to by complete uppers or try to build it, is building cost effective? With myself being a novice but very capable ( I know it's not the same but I built computers and servers from parts custom for corp/gov for 10 years) and the lower was a breeze.

SA XD-40 V10 (Ported) 40 S&W
New Frontier Stripped Lower
RRA LPK (Lower parts kit)
More to come....

"Don't thik of it as 'Gun Control', think of it as "Victim disarmament". If we make enough laws, we can ALL be criminals".

Old 02-25-2013, 06:58 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 832 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropZone889
Do you guys think its better to by complete uppers or try to build it, is building cost effective? With myself being a novice but very capable ( I know it's not the same but I built computers and servers from parts custom for corp/gov for 10 years) and the lower was a breeze.
I found that for myself it was cheaper to buy a complete upper. I don't skimp on parts for my own guns and if I bought every single part of probably spend a fortune. I spent $85 just on a charging handle, although it is a badass piece and over $200 on my Timney trigger. A plus on ordering a complete upper is that you are assured that you have proper head spacing.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Old 02-25-2013, 07:01 PM   #8
62 gr Fusion
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 190 Times on 127 Posts

I recommend a Spikes Tactical complete upper. Mainly because I have one and it is the best shooting barrel I have owned. 1:7 twist. Shoots 55gr with very good accuracy IMO.

If guns kill people, mine are defective.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:35 PM   #9
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 99 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

I got lucky and grabbed a complete spikes not long ago. It's a well built unit. I will say though, that my groups went from very tight to a bit wider when I switched to it. At first I thought it may have been just me having an off night, but two more trips to the range later, I'm still not on course with where I was with my DPMS. I'm sure it will get better when I finally get around to replacing the trigger springs, or even the trigger as I don't care for the one I have.

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr

Old 02-25-2013, 09:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropZone889 View Post
I also built and upgraded (motherboards, etc.) hundreds of PCs and set up/maintained servers for years. I'd say building a PC and building an AR are very similar since both are modular with countless industry standard components as long as you stay away from proprietary designs. Both platforms can be very basic to extremely complex depending on your specs.

Anyway, I tend to build up from a stripped lower then buy a barreled upper receiver/URG since you can often find exactly what you want, at least when supply was good. Nothing that hard about putting together an upper from a stripped receiver but I usually find the URG I want from BCM, Daniel Defense or PSA. You will need access to a few more tools to do an upper than a lower (which can be done with common household tools).