Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   New AR Build, Upper advice.... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/new-ar-build-upper-advice-85119/)

DropZone889 02-25-2013 10:39 AM

New AR Build, Upper advice....

I just finished getting all my lower parts in with all this BS going on in our country. I got the poly lower from NFA with a RRA LPK, ATI mil-spec buffer kit and Magpul CRT stock plus the MOE + grip (rubberized slightly, Love It!) Now I need the upper, I was thinking of Adams Arms?????

Quentin 02-25-2013 02:43 PM

No first hand experience with Adams. Don't forget PSA.

KG7IL 02-25-2013 03:04 PM

I have also been interested in the PDS or Piston Driven System in the Adams.
Haven't heard much, nor found much.

Quentin 02-25-2013 03:31 PM

I would say anyone thinking about a piston AR should become very familiar with the advantages and disadvantages. If you're looking at a 16" barrel or longer the disadvantages outweigh the advantages.

TexasGunner 02-25-2013 04:04 PM

2 Attachment(s)
There are so many different uppers out there that choosing just one is an incredibly hard task. I just finished my first build and am already starting to order parts to start my second. And after I finish it, I'm sure there will be a third. All I can say is pick out what you like, as everyone seems to have their own opinions! :D

Here's one that I would really like to have, but would have to get a tax stamp on to build an SBR. Primary Weapons Systems (PWS) MK107 (Diablo)

Attachment 87503

Attachment 87504

DropZone889 02-25-2013 06:40 PM

Do you guys think its better to by complete uppers or try to build it, is building cost effective? With myself being a novice but very capable ( I know it's not the same but I built computers and servers from parts custom for corp/gov for 10 years) and the lower was a breeze.

TexasGunner 02-25-2013 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DropZone889
Do you guys think its better to by complete uppers or try to build it, is building cost effective? With myself being a novice but very capable ( I know it's not the same but I built computers and servers from parts custom for corp/gov for 10 years) and the lower was a breeze.

I found that for myself it was cheaper to buy a complete upper. I don't skimp on parts for my own guns and if I bought every single part of probably spend a fortune. I spent $85 just on a charging handle, although it is a badass piece and over $200 on my Timney trigger. A plus on ordering a complete upper is that you are assured that you have proper head spacing.

Squawk 02-25-2013 07:01 PM

I recommend a Spikes Tactical complete upper. Mainly because I have one and it is the best shooting barrel I have owned. 1:7 twist. Shoots 55gr with very good accuracy IMO.

GeneralPatton 02-25-2013 09:35 PM

I got lucky and grabbed a complete spikes not long ago. It's a well built unit. I will say though, that my groups went from very tight to a bit wider when I switched to it. At first I thought it may have been just me having an off night, but two more trips to the range later, I'm still not on course with where I was with my DPMS. I'm sure it will get better when I finally get around to replacing the trigger springs, or even the trigger as I don't care for the one I have.

Quentin 02-25-2013 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DropZone889 (Post 1153782)

I also built and upgraded (motherboards, etc.) hundreds of PCs and set up/maintained servers for years. I'd say building a PC and building an AR are very similar since both are modular with countless industry standard components as long as you stay away from proprietary designs. Both platforms can be very basic to extremely complex depending on your specs.

Anyway, I tend to build up from a stripped lower then buy a barreled upper receiver/URG since you can often find exactly what you want, at least when supply was good. Nothing that hard about putting together an upper from a stripped receiver but I usually find the URG I want from BCM, Daniel Defense or PSA. You will need access to a few more tools to do an upper than a lower (which can be done with common household tools).