New AR Build - S&W M&P 15 ORC base rifle with upgrades - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

New AR Build - S&W M&P 15 ORC base rifle with upgrades

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2010, 09:39 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1231 Times on 857 Posts
Likes Given: 1276

Lookin' good Mosh!

I know it's been a real journey but it looks like you ended up in the right place. Beautiful rifle!

Old 05-15-2010, 10:22 PM   #22

"I Love it when a plan comes together......"
Flippin' Sweet!!!

Old 05-15-2010, 11:10 PM   #23

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Lookin' good Mosh!

I know it's been a real journey but it looks like you ended up in the right place. Beautiful rifle!
A journey is definately a fair description.

Old 05-20-2010, 04:55 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshpit View Post
Hi all,

My first post on these forums, I thought I'd share my recent rifle upgrading project. Nothing spectacular or amazing, but a lot of fun none the less. I bought a Smith and Wesson M&P 15 ORC from Academy Sports about 2 weeks ago and went online to various places and gathered up my parts to make it exactly how I wanted it.

This was how it looked when I first brought it home:

New AR Build - S&W M&P 15 ORC base rifle with upgrades - AR-15 Discussion

After 2 weeks of gathering parts, it now looks like this:

After completing it, I finally took it out to the range to zero it and have some fun. This beasty is as smooth as I could ask, I'm totally pleased with the end result. It's my first personal owned AR, but I've fired many over the years.

The completed parts list is as follows:
Smith and Wesson M&P 15 ORC,
Eotech 512.A65 Holographic Optics,
UTG Quad Rail w/ Free Float Extension,
ATI Ergonomic Pistol Grip,
Yankee Hill Front and Rear flip-up backup iron sights,
Yankee Hill 1/2" Rail Riser for receiver,
Magpul Angled Fore Grip,
Yankee Hill QD Ambidextrous Single Point Sling adapter,
Condor Single Point Sling,
6 Magpul 30 round P-Mags (3 w/ window, bought the extra 5 mags and specified Magpul because I love their P-mags),
UTG Tactical LED flashlight w/mount

Edit: Added recent parts additions

How do you like the YH Flip Up sights? I have the exact same rifle and I'm looking for some BUIS. Also, where did you purchase them from and what model where they? Thanks.

Old 06-05-2010, 04:21 PM   #25

Looks awesome in the light! But I have to ask do you like the Magpul Angled Fore Grip? Not sure I would like it but then again not sure I wouldn't.

Love guns? Wanna talk about them? Apply within!

Old 06-05-2010, 04:44 PM   #26

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

First off, apologies to DA0024 for not answering his question sooner, been extended AFK a bit lately.

I love the YHM flip sights. I purchased the gas block flip sights directly from YHM. The only flip up front sight on the pic you quoted from is no longer in use since it was meant to be used on a gas block and not a top rail, it's too long. I should mention that the rifle in the pic you quoted me from no longer exists in that form at all, it looks completely different now, far superior to when I took that particular pic.

It now looks more like this (not counting the 1mm adjustment needed to straighten it out after this pic taken):
With extras like Eotech, Phantom 5C2 FS, and AFG, sight down

Without extras like Eotech, Phantom 5C2 FS, and AFG, sight up

To Savagemic, I love the AFG, more natural grip feel for me then a VFG of any kind I've tried. It works even better now that I've swapped out the rail system to a thinner, less rounded rail system. The DD Omega X rails narrower mid width allows for a seemless and comfortable grip when using the AFG, and allows my tac light pressure switch to mount completely tucked in and out of the way, but easily reachable by my fingers of the hand holding the AFG.

The AFG felt better to me then a VFG, but your milage may vary on this one, it's really down to preference.

Update: I had the MOST wonderful range experience during testing of the new setup. First off, I apparently got the gas system put back together perfectly, 1st try, since the rifle cycled smooth and cleanly all day. Secondly, apparently, since I was using the same receiver as before, the zero I had setup on it was still valid for the new rebuild, and I only spent 30 rounds to confirm zero instead of having to establish it again with god knows how many rounds and laser sessions.

BUT, I have to say, zero was BETTER then before as I could never seem to achieve a perfect zero before and had to use a hair of down-right windage to get dead center accuracy, because the rounds tended to spin off up-left of zero no matter how far I adjusted the sights, the zero kept just out of reach. Now, it's perfect dead on centered. First 3 rounds when right into the 1 inch diamond and were touching each other. The following 27 rounds turned that into one larger, 1" at widest point of the hole, but was only the size of 2 rounds side by side across the middle, indicating drift in my aim, not the rifle itself. I am totally happy with those results. The rifle is now more accurate then I am, as it should be (giving me something to build skill up to match, not the other way around which is frustrating).

Last edited by moshpit; 06-05-2010 at 05:08 PM.

Old 06-05-2010, 05:04 PM   #27

Hmm interesting I might have to look into one. Sorry if I missed this but what upper/barrel is that?

Love guns? Wanna talk about them? Apply within!

Old 06-05-2010, 05:12 PM   #28

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagemic View Post
Hmm interesting I might have to look into one. Sorry if I missed this but what upper/barrel is that?
I added a ton of edits to response post, getting more detailed as I could.

The upper, barrel, and lower are all original S&W M&P 15 parts from the ORC model. The barrel nut, gas block, hand guard rails and flash suppressor are all added on (with quite a bit of modification to maintain free float of the rails and disallow contact with the gas block).

Old 06-05-2010, 09:47 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1231 Times on 857 Posts
Likes Given: 1276

Glad you got it all straightened out Mosh. Looks great!

Old 06-05-2010, 10:46 PM   #30

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Glad you got it all straightened out Mosh. Looks great!
Thanks! Very proud of it. Already starting on my second project, a 90% YHM build up from the looks so far. Will post some pics when it gets closer to completion.