New AR Build - S&W M&P 15 ORC base rifle with upgrades - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

New AR Build - S&W M&P 15 ORC base rifle with upgrades

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2010, 10:40 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Welcome to FTF from SW Pa!
Beyond the speed of sound---
Fire it up, Let the engines roll
It's time to burn it down

Old 04-20-2010, 11:19 PM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
Welcome to FTF from SW Pa!
Thanks! You guys getting any good shooting weather up there yet or are the bullets still freezing in the mags?

Old 04-20-2010, 11:40 PM   #13

Liked 39 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshpit View Post
SUR = Short Utility Rifle? If so, sounds appropriate. That's basicly what it is. Home defense, range plinker, and required tacticool accessory
SUR= Sport Utility Rifle
“You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that, my dear friend, is the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Dr. Adrian Rogers”

TELL CHAVEZ NOW! CLICK HERE

Old 04-20-2010, 11:47 PM   #14

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsmelEduardo View Post
SUR= Sport Utility Rifle
Yeah, um, yeah, I mean SPORT, yeah, I um, accidentally typed short when I meant sport... I mean, um... I was testing you! Yeah! That's it! I was testing you and you passed! (okay, now that I have completely failed to cover that one up, on to something more interesting)

On a more serious question, does the fact that it's a shorter 16" barrel make it a "sport utility rifle" or is there any difference with what I built versus if I just went with a 18" or 20" barrel instead? I know when you get into the 14.5 and below they are called an SBR I think?

Bear with me guys, I've been outta the loop for too many years here and am playing catch up.

Old 04-21-2010, 04:39 AM   #15

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Welcome to the FT forum community sir! There's lots of good people and firearm knowledge to be shared here for the asking and plenty of very informational threads to search out. Just jump in, speak out and hold on!

SUR was a name adopted by the civilian sector to call and better describe AR's, AK's and other semi-auto rifles, to accurately portray their uses in a civilian, non-combat populace.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 04-21-2010, 11:09 PM   #16

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hey all,

Just a heads up, I asked cane to move this thread over here since the thread is less of an introduction and more of a AR discussion thread. I'm still open to discussion, suggestions and ideas

Old 04-21-2010, 11:53 PM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Welcome to the FTF!!! I just got here about a month a go and love it. Nice SUR!!!

Old 04-30-2010, 05:33 PM   #18

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well, after a bit of research and soul searching, I've decided to dump the UTG quad rail system completely. It is a little heavy, though that's not so much the reason as potential future issues with a lower quality rail system. I've heard some recent horror stories about people dropping a rifle into their trunk after a long range day, and bending or breaking a rail or mounting point. While the UTG is hard anodized steel, I'm thinking that the more maliable nature of steel makes it more prone to bending damage then hard anodized aluminum? The reason I even say that is the people telling the horror stories they went to an anodized aluminum rail set to not have that happen again.

The thing is, handguard rail sets come in free floating and non free floating form. I know a 16" barrel rifle won't benefit as much from being free-floated as a 18-20" will, but the lessons of doing so anyway would be of future benefit to me (besides, even if it's of not much benefit, it doesn't hurt anything I think). I decided that if I'm going to do this, I'm jumping in with both feet, and the UTG was a poor attempt to cheat my way around doing this the right way.

So, to that end, I have today received my Daniel Defense Omega X FSP 12.0 handguard rail system and am sitting here looking at it and wishing all the other stuff needed to make this happen was here already. I have no real gun smithing tools at all. To make all this work though, I'm going to have to change the gas block over to a Yankee Hill flip up sight and gas block combo unit (without bayonet lug or sling mount) which from all appearances should be compatible with the DD Omega X system I picked (has the cut out for gas block sights). This has been ordered and is on it's way, should be here by monday.

To accomplish this task, I needed tools, lots o them. I therefore ordered a AR 15 receiver vice-block (supposed to be compatible with S&W and most others as well), A roller pin punch kit, a DD proprietary wrench (Omega/OmegaX install specific), and a .223 armorer's wrench. All of that is incoming from Brownells now, ordered last night. I know I will need a proper vice (already eyeballing one) and I have a decent smallish hammer (not one of the nicer brass ones unfortunately, but still should work I think).

When I am finished, this wil NEVER be called a "K-Mart" rifle ever again (at least once the stock job is done as well, that's coming next). I'm not poor, or stupid, or trying to be an armchair commando. I'm just new to this. And I will learn and prosper.

Edit: The side effect of all this, is that the mismatched front sight is coming off, so the riser will no longer be needed either. Everything will line up naturally the way it's supposed to. No more "work around".

Last edited by moshpit; 04-30-2010 at 05:50 PM.

Old 05-09-2010, 04:45 PM   #19

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My plans have been through about 3 different revisions since I posted last. The final revision of my plans did work out though. I still have the DD Omega X 12.0 FSP laying around unused at this point, so I may rebuild the old upper receiver with it. But for now I've given up trying to install it since the gas block on the M&P 15 was practically soldered on (the OR and ORC model comes with a single piece gas block that is held in place by a single soldered in pin). Removal of the gas block from that barrel is possible, but will take a lot of time and effort to do without ruining the barrel.

So, in the meantime, I won't be stuck on a "K-Mart" rifle. I ordered a YHM Black Diamond Specter upper assembly and slapped it right on. Perfect match up to the S&W lower, no play at all, all function checks are 100%.

Here's the new rifle with the changes:
New AR Build - S&W M&P 15 ORC base rifle with upgrades - AR-15 Discussion

And the new specs:
YHM Black Diamond Specter upper receiver assembly
YHM Bolt Carrier Group
YHM 16" Chrome-Moly Vanadium Steel Barrel, Heat Treated to RC 25-32, Chambered 5.56x45, Chrome-Lined, 1:9" twist, Diamond Fluting
YHM Phantom 5C2 Flash Hider / Compensator
YHM Specter Length Diamond Handguard
YHM Forearm Endcap
YHM Low Profile Gas Block
YHM Forearm Mounted Flip Front Sight
YHM Flip Rear Sight
S&W M&P 15 lower receiver, complete with buffer tube, all internals, and 6 position stock
Magpul Angled Fore Grip
ATI Ergonomic pistol grip
UTG Taclight
Eotech 512.A65 Holographic Optics
DD ambidex QD single point sling mount
Condor Single Point Sling

3x Lancer L5 30 round clear mags (loving on the metal feed lips, mags only feel flimsy until you put the first round in it, and then the whole thing becomes solid as a Pmag)
3x Magpul Pmag 30 round solid mags
3x Magpul Pmag 30 round windowed counter mags

Old 05-15-2010, 05:56 AM   #20

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

New AR Build - S&W M&P 15 ORC base rifle with upgrades - AR-15 Discussion

DD Omega X installed and fully operational on the other upper. I now have 2 complete upper assemblies to play with, the YHM Black Diamond Specter, and this S&W/DD/YHM hybrid. I'll admit, I like the hybrid better. Mainly because I can flip down the front sight flush with the top rail, making a snag free front area, that is also devoid of any viewing obstructions for optics. I also like the hybrid better because I actually put all the work into building it up with the help of another forum I visit. So I'm particularly partial to it from the effort that went into making it happen and the crazy story behind how that went.

I know I did good on this one, Addax from Addax Tactical complimented the build and called it a winner. Other users called it unique because of the flip sight mounting into the rails the way they do, but I don't think unique would be accurate, just rare maybe. I know I can not be the first to think this one up, it seems like a pretty basic idea with off the shelf components and a little dremel work.

Specs for this build:
S&W M&P 15 (Cerro Forge) upper receiver
S&W M&P 15 standard BCG
S&W M&P 15 16" standard carbine barrel
Daniel Defense Omega X 12.0 FSP rail system
YHM flip hooded front sight gas block
YHM flip rear sight
YHM Phantom 5C2 flash suppressor/compensator
S&W M&P 15 lower receiver, complete with buffer tube, all internals, and 6 position stock
Magpul Angled Fore Grip
ATI Ergonomic pistol grip
Eotech 512.A65 Holographic Optics
DD ambidex QD single point sling mount
Condor Single Point Sling

Leaving the tac light on the YHM BDS upper and getting a new S&W M&P 15 lower for that setup to have a second rifle up and running. Will also get a second Eotech for it since the hybrid upper gets first dibs on the one I have.