New AR build - First One - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > New AR build - First One

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2011, 04:04 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I recommend getting a lightweight barrel. Better maneuverability which is a nice attribute for 100yrds and in.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:52 PM   #12

Liked 1069 Times on 752 Posts
Likes Given: 1073

I also prefer a LW barrel. You can save almost a pound of weight out front over the HBAR. Believe me that makes a huge difference unless you're just shooting from a bench.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:05 PM   #13

Thanks for the comments. I do want this to be as light as can be with my budget. I should have mentioned that. I thought about the plumcrazy lower but I think I am stickin with the ASA lower unless I find a better deal.

I should have the kit ordered this friday.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:07 PM   #14
Is it Friday yet?
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

+1 on the Del-Ton kits. I have put a couple of theirs together. Decent product at a decent price and have experienced no issues with customer service to date.

Also, they will not charge your card until the order ships. Big+

Old 03-07-2011, 11:56 PM   #15

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapman87 View Post
Thanks for the comments. I do want this to be as light as can be with my budget. I should have mentioned that. I thought about the plumcrazy lower but I think I am stickin with the ASA lower unless I find a better deal.

I should have the kit ordered this friday.
Have you taken a look at the Cav Arms II lowers? I'm personally thinking about getting one as soon as I find some .300blk ammo for my latest project. I don't want to find the ammo and have no $ because I just purchased the Cav lower.

Old 03-08-2011, 02:23 AM   #16

I do like the idea of polymer lowers but I think I am sticking with metal for my first AR. For the price I could easily try one out later.

Old 03-08-2011, 02:51 AM   #17
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2724 Times on 1327 Posts
Likes Given: 1386

You may want to take a look at several good quality lowers Stag, Double Star, Rock River, LMT, CMMG, Spikes, DPMS, Bushmaster and several of these companies also sell their kits as well. They fit and look good. A friend of mine sells a lot of Double Star receivers. Just as a word of caution with buying these off brand receivers. You get what you pay for usually. Good luck on your build. It will be a great experience for you if you buy quality parts and a nightmare for you if you do not. Its best to spend a little extra on good stuff and remember your rifle will give you years of service and pleasure if you but quality over $$$. You don't have to buy a high dollar item for it to be good. Some are what I think selling their name and they are proud of their product $$$ kind of like buying a Cadillac or Chevrolet both are very reliable.
We all here on FTF hope you have a great experience! By the way did we tell you it is addicting ????? Keep us informed on your project and let us know if we can be of any help!

Old 03-08-2011, 03:07 AM   #18

Likes Given: 2

FWIW, I have a Plumcrazy lower on one of my build's and a DTI lower on the other.
I have yet to shoot my Plumcrazy so I cant tell you about reliability, If you buy a kit, you will or should get a lower parts kit, Butt stock and buffer, All of which are part of the complete PC lower, So you end up with extras(not always bad) However the PC lower has its own trigger system, I have yet to see if its interchangeable, But its extra money that you may not need to spend or you can use the same $$ from the PC lower to buy a somewhat nicer lower.
Personally I liked the finish on my DTI lower, Its a smoother finish, But that was me.
Good luck

Old 03-08-2011, 05:04 AM   #19

The kits are very attractive to a first time builder. Tomorrow I will look at all the big companies and see what kits they offer. I am also watchin gun broker for lowers.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Old 03-08-2011, 05:18 AM   #20

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapman87 View Post
The kits are very attractive to a first time builder. Tomorrow I will look at all the big companies and see what kits they offer. I am also watchin gun broker for lowers.

Thanks for all the suggestions!
Buying a lower locally will save you a few $$, If you weren't aware most places have a transfer fee, Usually between $20-50, That will be on top of shipping and the lower itself , So if you can find a good local gun shop that has some decent lowers, That may be your best bet.
I keep looking at lowers online as well, But then I think of all the extra money spent just to get it here, I usually don't look for too long.