New AR Build Finished Today
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > New AR Build Finished Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2014, 06:56 PM   #1
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3245 Times on 1575 Posts
Likes Given: 1632

Default New AR Build Finished Today

As some of you may know I have my Rock River AR 20" Varmint Rifle for sale in the section. Has had a total of 100 rounds through it. I took it to Texas the first time last year and done some predator hunting which means you walk and move a lot. Great Rifle shooting from 1/4-1/2 MOA groups.
But after packing it around all day for a couple of days it put a new meaning to the definition of Predator vs Varmint hunting applications. In varmint hunting it is done mostly from a stationary or pre-selected location looking for the varmints. Predator hunting on the other hand usually requires a lot of moving around and walking. So I decided I would build a rifle that was ultra accurate as well as a little lighter. So here it is! The Upper is identical to the Rock River Arms Inc. R-3 Competition Rifle Upper Unit. I also used a Rock River Arms Lower Receiver and installed a Rock River Arms 2 Stage NM Trigger. Rock River Scout Rail along with a mounting rail for the front Sling Swivel. I also prefer the full length stock for a hunting rifle and the fact I will be the only one shooting it. Only personal preference! I had an Alaskan Guide Scope 4.5X 14X 30mm Tube Scope from Cabelas and Rock River Scout Rail that I mounted on it. Probably try to get it to the Range this next week to zero the rifle and shoot a group if I have time. Here are a couple of pictures of the new build.

File Type: jpg RRA R-3 Pic#1.jpg (32.6 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg RRA R-3 Pic#2.jpg (33.0 KB, 78 views)

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Last edited by Sniper03; 08-31-2014 at 06:59 PM.
People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-01-2014, 04:23 AM   #2

Liked 36 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 8

First your rifle looks well thought out but still a little heavy, second your work area is far too clean and tidy for a serious shooter. :-)
Actually, what weight did you finally achieve? The scope and mount look very heavy but I'll bet they work well for distance shooting. I have addressed the weight issue as well and came up with some very light rifles (6 to 6.5 lbs) but I am interested in much shorter shooting distances for hogs and plinking than you will for varmints.

Old 09-01-2014, 06:40 PM   #3

Liked 319 Times on 254 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Nice way to loose 2.2lbs People knock RRA as not mil spec, what ever that means . For a hunter I want to have far better than mil spec . No one can say RRA is not the class of the field with there match and varmint class rifles. I wish I could justify a 1/4" AR. Have that in a 7mm rem mag hunter and a decent home brewed AR that is more than I need in the mountains. I like RRA's parts . Used a lot of them in mine and my wifes AR's

You have a good looking rifle that should make for a far easier to hump around.

Not sure how you sling your AR but if you can figure out how to use a Boonie Packers- Safari Sling give it a try. This is not the other safari sling. Thise one allows you to carry across your chest, handsfree if wanted and leaves the rifle ready to pick up and should moveing nothing out of the way. I have humped a 10.8lb 27" barreled bolt rifle for 17 years now. Makes it easy. Below is an awful video , set to carry way to low but gives you an idea.
Sniper03 Likes This 
Old 09-01-2014, 06:53 PM   #4

Liked 2445 Times on 1432 Posts
Likes Given: 558

Looks sweet. My 'yote rig is similar.
Sniper03 Likes This 
Old 09-01-2014, 09:00 PM   #5
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3245 Times on 1575 Posts
Likes Given: 1632

Mikey,

Yes it should be a 1/4 MOA groups at least under 1/2 MOA.
Yes I do a lot of longer range predator hunting 200-a max of 400 yards out in Texas every year. I sure liked the Rock River 20" A-4 Varmint rifle due to it's excellent accuracy but building this new rifle I should get the same similar performance since it is an 18" Fluted Barrel is a 1:8 Twist Cryo Treated Barrel and was able to trim 2 lbs off compared to the Varmint Model.

The 20" A-4 Varmint weight was 12 Lbs. and 12Lbs 11.4 oz with a fully loaded 20 round magazine of 55 gr bullets.

The New R-3 Comp Design Rifle weighs in at 10 Lbs. with the A-2 Stock on it.10 Lbs 11.4 oz. with a fully loaded 20 round magazine of 55 gr bullets. I probably could reduce it by taking the Rock River Scout Rail off that weighs 7 0z. but I like the regidity of them. And complete ability of forward and reward adjustment. And the rifle can take a beating without worry of the zero changing due to the IOR rings and RRA base damage. I may also put an Ace Full Length (Skeletonized) Stock on it in the future to cut the weight down a little.

I know for some that is heavy but a reduction of 2 Lbs is 2 Lbs if you have to pack it around all day for several days!

By the way Hardluk. Thanks for the info and the video. I ordered two of them this afternoon. $19.95 ea. One for my R-3 Comp Rifle and the one I am building for my Grandson just like mine except he wants a 6 Position Collapsible Stock on his. OH my mistake! I am going to make him actually build it with supervision!
I think it will mean more to him to accomplish the task by doing most or all of it. He is going to learn to Barrel and all. Can't wait they are coming down in about three weeks. Once again Thanks for the sling info and looking forward to getting it and using it at home and in Texas this coming November.

Hey DOC how about some pics of the Yote Rig!

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Last edited by Sniper03; 09-01-2014 at 09:06 PM.

Old 09-05-2014, 08:01 PM   #6

Liked 319 Times on 254 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Its great when you can get grand kids involved with firearms and the shooting sport. Having your grandchild build his own rifle will last a life time.. PM photo too.

Old 09-06-2014, 01:38 AM   #7

Liked 206 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Nice looking rig! Waiting for range report WITH more pictures.