New AR build checklist - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > New AR build checklist

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2011, 02:27 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Thanks ShirtRippa. I have been following your thread too. I think i have narrowed it down to a midlength upper but am just trying to find the right one. The surplus arms and ammo one that i think we were both looking at would be nice but its carbine length. I talked to those guys over there (very hard to get ahold of) and they can add the chrome lining in the barrel for like 40 extra dollars. Still trying to see if they have a midlength for roughly the same price. I will check out the Del-Ton uppers too.

I did order my spikes lower yesterday though. Should have it friday. Made out my Christmas list too for everything else except the upper!

Old 11-17-2011, 01:19 PM   #12

No problem drclaw. I was really leading towards the surplus upper myself until I found the del-ton upper. The base price starts at $395 or something like that, and you can customize it right down to what kind of handguards you want, charging handle, gas block, sights, quite a bit of stuff, so I decided to spend a little extra to get EXACTLY what I want. I also decided to go with a lightweight upper vs an HBAR so as I add the mods I want it won't greatly weigh down the firearm. I will let you know if I find anything else my friend, anything to help someone embarking on the same journey I am! And congrats on purchasing the lower, my wife told me last night she wants to get a $700 camera for her photography business, so we came to a compromise, she gets a camera, I build my AR! Success! I have the green light, just gotta wait for taxes now, sigh...

Last edited by ShirtRIPPA; 11-17-2011 at 01:53 PM.

Old 11-27-2011, 02:36 AM   #13

You might want to look at Bravocompanyusa.com as well. They have some reasonably priced uppers and everything they do is to mil spec and under goes some serious testing

Old 12-23-2011, 04:14 PM   #14

Alright got my Upper ordered. Its a Rock river upper with quadrail. Carbine gas but midlength rail. Let see what i get for christmas and i will post some pics.

Old 12-23-2011, 05:05 PM   #15

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Alright fellas here is my list. I need some input as this is my first build. What am I missing? What should I stay away from? this is somewhat of a budget build but I don't want to sacrifice quality and be unhappy with what I build.

lower:
Spikes stripped lower rec
spikes lower parts kit

Magpul MIAD mission adaptable grip dark earth
Magpul PMAG Magazine dark earth

Check with DSG arms, they have this stock and the ctr in packages with complete buffer tube assemblies (tube, buffer, spring, endplate, castle nut. I'd also recommend milspec. The price of the Magpul CTR package might be the same as what you are looking at now, and also look and see if they have the Magpul stocks that JUST came out.

Tools:
Roll pin starter punch set

Complete upper: (really need input on this side of things)
found this one *Surplus Ammo & Arms Complete AR-15 M4 16" Upper Receiver 5.56 1:9 - Surplus Ammo
but not sure if this is a decent upper or not.

Thanks in advance! This site is incredibly helpful and informative.

Old 12-23-2011, 05:13 PM   #16

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

MAGPUL MOE Stock Kit Milspec - Dark Earth

or the whole kit and kaboodle

MAGPUL Carbine MOE Kit - Dark Earth

they have other kits with afg and midlengths and mvgs the best prices I've found so far.

hope this helps ya

Happy Holidaze

Old 12-31-2011, 04:13 AM   #17

image-540813792.jpg

Ok guys. Got it all together. I followed the sticky on putting the lower together. After I got it all together and my upper attached I hear something moving inside and I don't know what it is. It's like something is sliding around. Don't think that's normal???

Old 12-31-2011, 04:23 AM   #18

Take the two halves and shake them separately. That way you can at least narrow it down to either the upper or the lower. Take the BCG and charging handle out of the upper too.

Let us know what you find out.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 12-31-2011, 04:24 AM   #19

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCross7
Take the two halves and shake them separately. That way you can at least narrow it down to either the upper or the lower. Take the BCG and charging handle out of the upper too.

Let us know what you find out.

-Fred
And if your lucky the loose part may just fall out, really narrowing down the possibilities.

Old 12-31-2011, 02:16 PM   #20

Liked 980 Times on 689 Posts
Likes Given: 983

If you're talking about the weights in the buffer sliding around, that's normal.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.